Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
akiy

"Off-The-Mat" Forum

Hi folks,

I've just created a new, experimental "Off-The-Mat" Forum here in the AikiWeb Forums, designed to allow discussion of using aikido principles outside of the regular dojo settings.

I'm hoping this forum will allow those folks to discuss how they've extended their aikido practice into areas such as mediation, law enforcement, spirituality, and such. Of course, discussions on "everyday" applications of "off-the-mat" aikido in everyday life are quite welcome, too.

However, please remember that this is still an aikido forum; the discussions in this forum should have explicit pertinence to aikido and its principles. If the topics veer too much, they'll be moved to the Open Discussions forum.

With that said, I hope this forum will enable some interesting discussions!

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Re: "Off-The-Mat" Forum

Thanks Jun!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I am extremely gratified that this forum has grown over the last year or so, after Jun allowed its conception, and to those who have shown interest, and to those who have mentored me personally in this work.

I have always thought it was part of traditional aikido and aikido's future. I invite all Aiki Web members to post, start threads and even challenge the worth of "off-mat" aikido

Warmly,
Mark

Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
judojo

Dojo: Ju Dojo
Location: 349 MALVAR STREET, DIPOLOG CITY, 7100, ZDN, PHILIPPINES
Philippines

Dear Shihan and Sensei, The off-matt such involvement of Ai and Ki and experience, How to apply the theory to satisfy self defense? How thus these Aikido Kihon and Tore and Nage flow with these event certain at these moment when psychology and emotions and fear are with me?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

This could certainly be a welcome forum! One concept that I have found, and also try to teach in my aikido classes, is 'developing an aikido body'. That is, whole body coordination.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -

Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Reynaldo L. Albano wrote: View Post
How to apply the theory to satisfy self defense? How thus these Aikido Kihon and Tore and Nage flow with these event certain at these moment when psychology and emotions and fear are with me?
IMHO, just like training the body, we need to train the mind. Its a body/mind harmony/unification thing I have.

Enter and blend, don't resist, your thoughts and emotions. Learn to take their balance and redirect them. Extend and see through them, transform them.

How you train will be how you fight (in body and mind). Do this now.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: "Off-The-Mat" Forum

I believe that this thread should be the meat of Aikido. Dojo is just an expression of Aikido. Aikido is a way of life, a state of mind...this is the higher call of O Sensei.

Iking

Closed Thread