Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States
Yoshinkan practitioners aggressive in discussion?

Ivan raises a good question in another thread...
Quote:
Ivan Labushevskiy wrote: View Post
Why aikido Yoshinkan practitioners often are aggressive in discussion?
I think it's true. Do Yoshinkan people have a chip on their shoulder as the red-headed aikido step-child? Does the style attract all the XYY chromosome aikido people? What's the answer?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Yoshinkan practitioners aggressive in discussion?

I'm wondering how y'all know who is and isn't a Yoshinkan practitioner. Do they all have some kind of flaming YOSHINKAN .sig in their posts that I've been missing? Or do you need the special I-can-see-the-chip-on-your-shoulder-AND-your-XYY-chromosome glasses to see it?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm wondering how y'all know who is and isn't a Yoshinkan practitioner.
Sometimes it is in the signature, yes. Ivan was responding to someone who self-identified as a Yoshinkan practitioner. Several do. More to the point, of the ones that do self-identify, many seem to be aggressive. As, for example, the following...

Quote:
Louis Sanguy wrote: View Post
"An attacker would have hate and anger whilst he/she attacked you, yes? aikido teaches balance, so to keep the balance you need to kill them with friendship or forgiveness"
OSU!
The OSU is a giveaway, too. BTW, I'm Yoshinkan. We do some military-style ceremonies and say OSU a lot and there's some macho talk and attitude, but in general when I hear talk of killing or fighting, I don't see my dojo in the posters.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

IMO, it's because Yoshinkan practitioners are MARTIAL artists, and we (annoyingly, it seems) insist that Aikido is a MARTIAL art. Aikido does not require us to be passive. Hopefully, AikiWeb is the same way.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Bill Danosky

United_States

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post

I think it's true. Do Yoshinkan people have a chip on their shoulder as the red-headed aikido step-child? Does the style attract all the XYY chromosome aikido people? What's the answer?
You must feel comfortable with your training if you're openly insulting people's genetics. Particularly if you're going to generalize like that. I take exception.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

There's a big difference between "kill them with friendship or forgiveness" and "kill them, but with friendship or forgiveness."

Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
bkedelen

United_States

Bill you've got the FNG thing bad my friend. You need to get that looked at by a professional.

I love your passion. Believe me I've been there. Just remember that nobody here agrees on anything, but a lack of validation does not actually damage your position or your practice.

Last edited by bkedelen : 09-25-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Bill Danosky

United_States

Not sure what the "FNG thing" is, but if I have it bad I probably enjoy it. If everyone agreed with me there would be no discussion, which is all I'm after. Shame on me if I have to get my validation on the internet.

Just the same, this "Yoshi Orcs are mean" thread exists because the truth I'm telling is disturbing people it applies to. Don't hate the messenger.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
kivawolfspeaker
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
There's a big difference between "kill them with friendship or forgiveness" and "kill them, but with friendship or forgiveness."
Yes! It's the "can you take a life, but with compassion for the life you'd be taking should it become necessary?" question.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Just the same, this "Yoshi Orcs are mean" thread exists because the truth I'm telling is disturbing people it applies to. Don't hate the messenger.
No it doesn't. It exists because you sat down at a computer keyboard and created it. Don't blame your actions on other people; own them.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
bkedelen

United_States

But ... he's just the messenger, and subject to all traditional rights thereto. I, for one, think a John the Baptist style welcome is in order.

That said, the original John the Baptist still managed to kick off the nearly world-ending multi-millenium catastrophe that is christendom, so maybe Bill is on to something with Yoshinkan?

Note that I am just being silly here. Bill is actually a lot better guy than anyone from the origins of christianity, so we should not in any way remove his head.

Last edited by bkedelen : 09-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post

It's simply a defense mechanism because Yoshinkan people are pansies on the mat.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."

Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Bill, is that an accurate representation of your style's take on these issues? Or your sensei's? Or just your opinion from your experiences?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Bill Danosky

United_States

Hey, my waza works, and I have proven it on a couple of occasions. So I am not vulnerable to words. I feel strongly enough about my views that I am perfectly willing to stand in the fire and defend them, and I believe martial effectiveness is a positive and beneficial topic. But if anyone else wants to resort to personal attacks I prefer they do it in person.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Bill Danosky

United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Bill, is that an accurate representation of your style's take on these issues? Or your sensei's? Or just your opinion from your experiences?
As I have said a number of times, "IMO". I am certainly not speaking for anyone else. My opinion is based on some experiences, however. I can tell you Ude Garami works in the real world, and so does Hiji Shime.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
As I have said a number of times, "IMO". I am certainly not speaking for anyone else. My opinion is based on some experiences, however. I can tell you Ude Garami works in the real world, and so does Hiji Shime.
And others styles don't? You must get around a lot...

Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
bkedelen

United_States

Quote:
I prefer they do it in person.
Bill you sound like you are about to ask someone to fight you behind the bike rack after school.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Bill Danosky

United_States

Other styles don't... Speak for anyone else? Have experience? Use Ude Garami?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
But if anyone else wants to resort to personal attacks I prefer they do it in person.
Personal attacks?

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."

Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Bill Danosky

United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
Bill you sound like you are about to ask someone to fight you behind the bike rack after school.
I promise you I am not that type of person. The only times I have been in altercations involved rescuing other people who needed it. But I have a sister with Down's Syndrome, so I don't take chromosomal jokes well. Pansys on the mat? Meh, words.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Hey, my waza works, and I have proven it on a couple of occasions. So I am not vulnerable to words. I feel strongly enough about my views that I am perfectly willing to stand in the fire and defend them
Fire? Really? This is an internet forum.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm wondering how y'all know who is and isn't a Yoshinkan practitioner. Do they all have some kind of flaming YOSHINKAN .sig in their posts that I've been missing? Or do you need the special I-can-see-the-chip-on-your-shoulder-AND-your-XYY-chromosome glasses to see it?
This thread should have ended right here.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
Bill Danosky

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
This thread should have ended right here.
C'mon, that was a pretty solid 6 hours of entertainment. And it was a slow day at work.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Yoshinkan practitioners aggressive in discussion?

Quote:
Hey, my waza works, and I have proven it on a couple of occasions. So I am not vulnerable to words. I feel strongly enough about my views that I am perfectly willing to stand in the fire and defend them, and I believe martial effectiveness is a positive and beneficial topic. But if anyone else wants to resort to personal attacks I prefer they do it in person.
Dear Bill,
So you managed to use a couple of techniques on some guys?Maybe rather than good waza , you just got lucky or the opposition was poor?In my view no matter how good you think you are there is always someone bigger , stronger , meaner and faster than oneself.rather than use brawn ,I prefer using my brain.Rather than get to a point where fisticuffs are resorted to , get the hell out of the situation beforehand.Prancing around in exotic Japanese outfits,doing ude garami or some strangles for example does not mean you/any body else, will not take second prize should you encounter a guy who is equipped with more ammo than you.Let common sense prevail,not force.Cheers, Joe.
Ps Just in case you think I am a wimpy sort of chap I have also used aikido in confrontations in the past.I much prefer being friendly rather than having a macho image.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Walter Martindale
Canada

Well... I've been at Aikikai schools almost esclusively. Depending on the dojo, the martial aspect gets more or less emphasis. The late Kawahara shihan wasn't a sweetness and light kinda guy, and tolerated flowery stuff very poorly. Izumi (Hiroaki) also deceased included in his classes how to use the knife, as well as how to take it away - how to not lose the pistol, as well as how to take it away - how to throw in such a way that uke is less likely to get back up soon, and how to throw in less harmful ways. What difference I noted between a Yoshinkan dojo and the Aikikai with which I was familiar was the more regimented training at entry levels. However after nidan I couldn't tell the difference by looking at the movements.

Closed Thread