Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Cheers
Dan
Aiki requires an enormous amount of solo training. Only amateurs think that techniques are enough. They understand nothing. Yukiyoshi

This should be posted in every dojo. Thanks for using it Dan. I never seen the quote before but I believe it speaks to the the heart and soul of Aiki training. Have you always tagged with it?

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
DH
United_States

It says allot. But I think it also points to things-in my view unfortunately-that anger and divide. The reason is, I think it speaks all too clearly of the truth of Aiki...do. That Takeda, Sagawa, Kodo, and Ueshiba were all brothers in a common course to the way of aiki. Each then branched, built on their individual research through solo training and some kata training and then expressed it very differently in an art form.
You guys keep only looking at Aikido™, and go on and on about how it is "different" from DR. Which is fine, truly!! But then you miss the very compelling evidence that DR is almost completely different, one to the other!! Thus missing out on the key, the link, the spark so critical to the core of your own founder’s art. The thing that they each, all shared. They began with the same aiki, and it is too that aiki one must travel to truly understand both how, why and maybe even when Ueshiba’s art changed and grew from DR to his aiki…do, and then be able to really see the difference between it and Kissomaru’s- Aikido™.
The physical manifestation is one thing; the chosen method of expressing it is another.
Thus Aikido™, is not always aiki...do.
And aiki...do is not always expressed as Aikido™,
But Aikido™ was always supposed to be-aiki...do, the way of aiki.
His physical skills enabled his change of heart and vision. Without the physical skills he first encountered in DR, he would have been just another nobody, lacking any real skill to make his dream, demonstrable and provable. Most followed due to his power. His power was not from a philosophy, but from hard physical understanding. Later men caught on, just like I did, that this immense power can allow you to handle all manner of force and attack and remain calm, peaceful and even expressive while under pressure, and it more than likely changed them too.
None of that understanding will ever be reached separately.
Philosophy alone is not demonstrable in any meaningful way in a conflict. Technique alone will just make you a less than average fighter. The real understanding that joined the two and powered the vision was the way of aiki. And that cannot be known and understood through just faith or just technique.
Thus the quote in the tag line.

Last edited by DH : 07-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
It says allot. But I think it also points to things-in my view unfortunately-that anger and divide. The reason is, I think it speaks all too clearly of the truth of Aiki...do. That Takeda, Sagawa, Kodo, and Ueshiba were all brothers in a common course to the way of aiki. Each then branched, built on their individual research through solo training and some kata training and then expressed it very differently in an art form.
You guys keep only looking at Aikido™, and go on and on about how it is "different" from DR. Which is fine, truly!! But then you miss the very compelling evidence that DR is almost completely different, one to the other!! Thus missing out on the key, the link, the spark so critical to the core of your own founder's art. The thing that they each, all shared. They began with the same aiki, and it is too that aiki one must travel to truly understand both how, why and maybe even when Ueshiba's art changed and grew from DR to his aiki…do, and then be able to really see the difference between it and Kissomaru's- Aikido™.
The physical manifestation is one thing; the chosen method of expressing it is another.
Thus Aikido™, is not always aiki...do.
And aiki...do is not always expressed as Aikido™,
But Aikido™ was always supposed to be-aiki...do, the way of aiki.
His physical skills enabled his change of heart and vision. Without the physical skills he first encountered in DR, he would have been just another nobody, lacking any real skill to make his dream, demonstrable and provable. Most followed due to his power. His power was not from a philosophy, but from hard physical understanding. Later men caught on, just like I did, that this immense power can allow you to handle all manner of force and attack and remain calm, peaceful and even expressive while under pressure, and it more than likely changed them too.
None of that understanding will ever be reached separately.
Philosophy alone is not demonstrable in any meaningful way in a conflict. Technique alone will just make you a less than average fighter. The real understanding that joined the two and powered the vision was the way of aiki. And that cannot be known and understood through just faith or just technique.
Thus the quote in the tag line.
We all, in the end, travel alone. This philosophy was learned through the school of hard knocks and was manifested in the classroom of nature and is now taught through many means.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
DH
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
We all, in the end, travel alone. This philosophy was learned through the school of hard knocks and was manifested in the classroom of nature and is now taught through many means.

Thanks,
Jen
Ooh I don't want to think like that though. I've had too many good people who stood by me in dark times, and laughed in the good. One true love of many years and friends who didn't ask for recompence for kind deeds.
Nope...While I love being alone, I'll take support and offer it whenever I can. In that sense-alone sucks.

I meant solo training on body skills, Kiddo. Even then paired work is essential for growth.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
Cheers
Dan
Aiki requires an enormous amount of solo training. Only amateurs think that techniques are enough. They understand nothing. Yukiyoshi

This should be posted in every dojo. Thanks for using it Dan. I never seen the quote before but I believe it speaks to the the heart and soul of Aiki training. Have you always tagged with it?
Yukiyoshi Sagawa is VERY pithy. Kinda familiar, actually.

Might pair it with this:
Quote:
You must train the body, think and have the techniques "seep out" from the body itself.
Or perhaps this:
Quote:
You must continue to think and reflect. Never think that what you are doing is good. Also never become arrogant. The second you start thinking this way is the moment you stop to progress.
And:
Quote:
Praying to God is fine. But He will not help your Bujutsu.
And most colorfully:
Quote:
[Upon viewing a book on a certain training method]

How <the hell> are you going to develop the body training like this? Don't you have any doubts? Training the body in such a static method, no matter how long you do so is no good. You must train the body within movement. ... If you think he's right then you go see him and strike him with a shinai. If you can hit him, then he's not good.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.