Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #26
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel
Re: Poll: How strong of an existence will aikido have in a hundred years?

2000 years ago, When Christians wondered if their religion (sect at the time, I guess) will still exist in the future, I bet they didn't imagine the Vatican, Catholicism and Protestants, Inquisitions and Christmas trees. They wouldn't even recognize a large amount of the Christian writings, and attending a mass would be a completely unfamiliar experience.

I tend to believe that if I'd volunteer to test a time machine, travel 500 years i the future and sign up to a local dojo to continue my studies, I wouldn't recognize anything, not even the terminology.

But I am confident that there will be dojos teaching "Aikido", whatever their interpretation of Aikido would be.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #27
DaveS
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: How strong of an existence will aikido have in a hundred years?

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
The key to perpetuation of the art as we know it is the success those who studied with the founder have in teaching the next generation. If they are able to pass down the "secrets" or "essence" of the art to the next generation, we may see it continue in its present form.
But since we can't transmit it perfectly, doesn't this leave us as nothing more than archivists, trying to slow the rate at which our art inevitably becomes moth eaten and useless, rather than practitioners of a living, improving art?

I tend to the view that we should ask what's the best way of doing something rather than what's the traditional way, but always remember that the traditional way is normally the way it is for a very good reason. Obviously if a great master, after years of study and training has decided that we should do something one way, then I'm not going to wake up one day and decide to do it another. But if another great master, after more study and training, decides that the other way makes more sense, either in the context of how we live and learn in the present day or just in general terms, then I'm fine with that.