Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
cekryb
Dojo: Go Shin/ Nashville TN
United_States
Do symbol Bokken & Jo Buyers Tips

Well I am wanting to buy an extra set so that I can practice at home. When I started looking online I saw many sites with many woodtypes and such. Suggestions for websites and tips in buying would be fantastic..
Old 10-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Re: Bokken & Jo Buyers Tips

I really like my Diamondwood bokken but it's heavy and I will never use it for anything but solo practice. I'd ask at your dojo. There's usually someone with a catalog in every dojo. I'd stick to whatever the rest are using. Buying a Diamondwood bokken was a mistake but I'd do it again just because it's so purrrty.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

Forgive my ignorance, but a bo is just a long, straight, piece of wood right?
Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
cekryb
Dojo: Go Shin/ Nashville TN
United_States

from my understanding yes., but I have thought it to be a different length than most Jo's...forgive me if I am wrong
Old 10-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Jonathan Thielen

Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan Aikido Dojo

I have recently purchased a bokken and jo from Kingfisher Woodworks (in Vermont), and am very pleased with the quality and craftsmanship. Their weapons are well worth the price! You can find a link to the website under "supplies" on aikiweb.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
John Ashton
Dojo: Westhartfordaikikai
United_States

hi guys,
i just bought a boken from the kiyota co. and i'm very impressed .i think it was the kashimashindo ryu. it's the best bokken i've used so far. good luck in your search.
JA
Old 10-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Question Re: Bokken & Jo Buyers Tips

Quote:
John Ashton wrote:
hi guys,
i just bought a boken from the kiyota co. and i'm very impressed .i think it was the kashimashindo ryu. it's the best bokken i've used so far. good luck in your search.
JA
Do you have a phone number? I use a Kiyota bokken also, very happy, but I lost the number and another person in my dojo wants one like mine.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States

I must admit that I'm guilty, but, I've got an ebony bokken. The feel is lively ,almost reptalian- she wants to be used.
The thing we should keep in mind is that many of the exotic woods are from the rain forest which is disappearing at a phenomal rate.
Lignum Vitae is now on the "endangered spicies list" and while it's incredably hard and dense, ther are other woods that make good substitutes. Osage orange has a great impact strength, and is grown in North america, however it's hard to find in suitable size.
woods like bubinga, purpleheart, and brazel rosewood really arn't that much better than japanese white oak( shiro kashi), to justify the higher cost or enviromental impact.
On of the best applications wood recycling are the products made out of dymondwood. the product is very pretty and is very dense- so faar , i've never heard of anyone breaking one -yet.
Bruce Hammell
Old 10-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

I use white oak weapons from Kiyota Company, as does most of my dojo. They do have a website now but it only has an address and phone number so you can have you send them a catalog. I think that for the price Kiyota has the best quality, and if you can talk more people into ordering with you the price goes down considerably. At my dojo we put in mass orders every couple of months for gi's and weapons because if you spend more than $250 total you get a discount. My advice would be to have them send you a catalog, then ask around at you dojo to see if anybody else is interested and then put in a order together. As a side note there is a person that trains at our dojo who trained at Boulder Aikikai and he was the one that turned us on to Kiyota, the rumor has it that everyone at Boulder Aikikai uses Kiyota weapons even though Ikeda Shihan owns Bujin, just something I've heard, probably one of those funny rumors that get started online in places like this.

As far as exotic woods I have a friend who bought a bokken and jo set from Bear Wood Works and they are beautiful. Also they do custom work as this friend is very tall with large hands they made him a bokken with a larger hilt to fit his hands. One of our senseis also uses a Kingfisher bokken which is pretty much indestructable as far a hickory goes but they are pricey.

Hope that helps

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 10-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #10
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Kiyota is at 800-783-2232

Use their white oak, bokken (Itto Ryu and Jo)

But found ebony bokken from Artha Gallery - (if you can order $500 worth) a much better deal. Seems crazy to bang ebony bokkens around, but in quantity they are cheaper than white oak.

I think they are at www.arthagallery.com
Old 10-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Well if you looking for a bokken or jo just to use around the house, not something that is going to be a show piece, use red oak. I would just check your local phonebook for a martial arts supplier or check in your club, otherwise there would be shipping costs etc. I have used red oak for as long as I can remember and beat them senseless. They hold up well though some maintenance is needed.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-17-2004, 01:27 AM   #12
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

I am looking for a decent, yet affordable bokken. I am confused by the range available.

At present, I have begun training in Aikikai Aikido. I live in the UK, so I'd ideally be looking for a good online supplier. I must stress, I can't afford to spend that much though.

I'll need a case as well.

Iain.

Last edited by Aikidoiain : 10-17-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #13
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Just to let you know, the club sold me a red oak bokken, which I like a lot. Now I can practice in the flat.

They can get me a case as well.

Iain.