Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-17-2001, 03:09 AM   #1
TonyJay
Dojo: St Albans
Total Knee Replacement

I am a 47 year old San Dan, practicing KI Aikido. I suffered a severe knee injury ten years ago,and after many operations to keep my knee working,I have now been scheduled for a total knee replacement next week. I am interested if there are any Aikidoka out there who have had a similar operation, and how it has affected their Aikido practice
Old 11-18-2001, 10:39 AM   #2
Lenocinari

Tony-
I'm only thirteen but i had an aunt that had the same procedure done, and she runs marathons. When she first had the operation she had to stay off it for about three months, but after that she was back to her hobby of running marathons. Thi may be different that aikido because of the twists involved but i hope it's comforting. Good Luck!
Cheers,
Ben

In order to see the stars, you first have to turn off the lights.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
Neil Yamamoto
Dojo: TNBBC
http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_narimatsu_0101.htm

Nonaka sensei in Hawaii had both Knee's replaced. Read towards the end of the article for brief details on how it impacted him.

Bryan Robbins who teaches at SMU in Dallas had both knees done last year.

Both are up and about with the only limitations being no suwari waza and the time it took to rehab the knees.

Neil Yamamoto
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club and Icho Ryu Chief Fluffy Bunny
Old 11-19-2001, 04:43 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Total Knee Replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyJay
I am a 47 year old San Dan, practicing KI Aikido. I suffered a severe knee injury ten years ago,and after many operations to keep my knee working,I have now been scheduled for a total knee replacement next week. I am interested if there are any Aikidoka out there who have had a similar operation, and how it has affected their Aikido practice
This will give you a chance to practice Ki Breathing and see for yourself if it has any benefits. Ki meditation could also become part of your healing schedule. I wouldn't try Kiatsu-ho (accupressure healing), at least not directly against the knee/bone.
You can also try using your Ki training in movement, since you'll need therapy work after the surgery.

You're going to be out of it for a while, but you'll slowly improve back to normal, or better than normal, since you started with a bum knee. I also have an aunt who had a knee replacement and it hasn't slowed her down.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-20-2001, 02:33 AM   #5
TonyJay
Dojo: St Albans
Can I thank everyone for their wonderful advice, the article on Nonaka Sensei, was awe inspiriring.I go for my operation this coming Friday,with a fourteen day stay in hospital, so I will be offline for some time,but I will carry your kind advice with me....many thanks once again Tony Jauncey