Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: What is 'Peace', anyways?

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Please note that I can't figure out how to quote pieces of a post. Only the whole thing. I'm such a goon!!!!!
When the entire post comes up wrapped in the [quote] tags simply delete the pieces that you don't want.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #27
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Peace?

I am sitting in my backyard next to my South American grill (slow grill over REAL wood coals) with good friends/family. Slowly grilling a nice PEACE of dry-aged sirloin that was seasoned with truffle salts for six hours. It is a beautiful, sunny day in the low 80's. We are sipping a nice 2001 California Carbernet sauvignon out of hand-blown Reidel glasses, (the wine decanted for several hours of course!). We are discussing the merits of having another bottle of cab (that is also decanting) with the first course, or starting in on that 1982 Chateau Latour- decanted for at least five hours (and saving the other cab for the cheese desert).

Peace-> that settled feeling in your hara, right next to that wonderful meal that is digesting, while watching a nice sunset

Marc Abrams

That all sounds very nice Marc, but would you still feel the same peace if you were digesting grilled hamburger, drinking water from mason jars while getting wet in the rain?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #28
boyana
United_States

Peace is when living in Port Morseby,as I do,outside violence is
not part of my life!
Peace is when I pracitice Aikido!
Peace is when on the way to the school small children smile at me.
Peace is when I go to the bed and pray that one day Port Morseby,my new home will recover and became normal.
Peace is when I think of my ex-home in Califorina and think of loved there.
Regards and Peace,from Port Morseby,and I hope you will send some prayers our way,if you can!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #29
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Ricky:

Have grilled great burgers in the rain, drinking water from the hose tap and been in peace as well. I typically smoke a thanksgiving turkey on my grill. I've been outside in freezing rain & snow, huddled underneath a tarp for six hours (of course a good book and nice bottle of wine helped ) It's a state of mind that is only made better by good friends, good family, healthy life, good food, and better drinks!

Marc Abrams

ps.- Aikido just helps me enjoy the peace more from a more centered place,
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #30
Leon Aman

Philippines

Peace is a STATE of mind where you can go IN and OUT.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #31
Guilty Spark

United_States

Peace is waking up Christmas morning with a mouse bitting your fingertips because your arm is hanging over a small aluminum cot thats too short for you. You then walk to the phones to call your family but the line is too big. Failing your call home you throw on body armor and equipment that is very heavy and very hot, you're sweating just standing still, and you head off to work. You tired, pissed off, hungry and haven't seen your family in half a year.
You then drive through a disgusting collection of shanties made of deadwood, mud and garbage. Kids are using a stick to roll a bicycle tire around for entertainment, other kids are flying a kite. Activities which before you're presence would have resulted in the shit being beat out of them. The kids stop to wave at you as you roll past because now thanks to you're sacrifice, it's no longer illegal (and punishable) to literally laugh, tell jokes, sing in public or fly a kit.

To me that is peace.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #32
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Thanks Bronson.
Jen
[quote=Bronson Diffin;200889]When the entire post comes up wrapped in the
Quote:
tags simply delete the pieces that you don't want.

Bronson

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Peace is waking up Christmas morning with a mouse bitting your fingertips because your arm is hanging over a small aluminum cot thats too short for you. You then walk to the phones to call your family but the line is too big. Failing your call home you throw on body armor and equipment that is very heavy and very hot, you're sweating just standing still, and you head off to work. You tired, pissed off, hungry and haven't seen your family in half a year.
You then drive through a disgusting collection of shanties made of deadwood, mud and garbage. Kids are using a stick to roll a bicycle tire around for entertainment, other kids are flying a kite. Activities which before you're presence would have resulted in the shit being beat out of them. The kids stop to wave at you as you roll past because now thanks to you're sacrifice, it's no longer illegal (and punishable) to literally laugh, tell jokes, sing in public or fly a kit.

To me that is peace.
So, to understand this a little I'll paraphrase. Correct me if I'm wrong:
Peace is a relative term that relates to the inclusion of joy or play or laughter, and that, perhaps, is a description of freedom also.Maybe It comes from the creation of 'space' to be in one's true nature.

Personally, from me, Thanks for your sacrifice.
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #34
Guilty Spark

United_States

Hi Jen,

A relative term for sure. There is the dictionary term and everyones individual idea of what I would say inner peace is. I think it has a lot to do with someones morals outlook on life and ideology.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #35
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Quote:
Peace?

I am sitting in my backyard next to my South American grill (slow grill over REAL wood coals) with good friends/family. Slowly grilling a nice PEACE of dry-aged sirloin that was seasoned with truffle salts for six hours. It is a beautiful, sunny day in the low 80's. We are sipping a nice 2001 California Carbernet sauvignon out of hand-blown Reidel glasses, (the wine decanted for several hours of course!). We are discussing the merits of having another bottle of cab (that is also decanting) with the first course, or starting in on that 1982 Chateau Latour- decanted for at least five hours (and saving the other cab for the cheese desert).

Peace-> that settled feeling in your hara, right next to that wonderful meal that is digesting, while watching a nice sunset

Marc Abrams

I could not believe reading this. Surely this is a described peace that is not available to just anyone.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #36
jennifer paige smith

United_States

I like this:

http://wahiduddin.net/words/shalom.htm
In this description we have a picture that is not referential to its' negative.

'peace'

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #37
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
The sound of people taking a break from waxing philosophical and training intelligently
Actually, taking a break from waxing my legs and training teenagers.

Jen

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 03-10-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #38
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Mark:

I was another country helping bring supplies and services to indigenous people who were not well loved by their country, cut off from the access to things that we consider basic. Sat down with one of the people from a village that we went to and shared a drink that he had brought to me. I was pretty much covered in mud, sweat soaked clothing, sitting in the shade of a tree with that person. I was in peace at that moment as well.

As I said before, peace (to me) is a state of mind that is only made better by good friends, good family, healthy life, good food, and better drinks! At that moment, it was a GREAT drink that I shared with that person. As to the other moments of "peace" that I described, I have worked very hard in my life to achieve some degree of success and comfort with which I can enjoy my peace in. I am not embarrassed by it, ashamed by it, or elitist about it. I never forget the times when I was broke and could not afford enough food to last me through a weekend. I do not forget those that are needy (my school has a collection box for the local food bank).

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #39
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Mark:

I have worked very hard in my life to achieve some degree of success and comfort with which I can enjoy my peace in. I am not embarrassed by it, ashamed by it, or elitist about it. I never forget the times when I was broke and could not afford enough food to last me through a weekend. I do not forget those that are needy (my school has a collection box for the local food bank).

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Marc,

When I grew up, as the son of a farmworker, I thought I was happy. When I became a farmworker myself, it was tough. But, I was in the best health of my life and I learned to enjoy the lifestyle.

When I went to college and later became a lawyer, they told me that "as a farmworker" I had been poor and taken advantage of by the man.

When, I almost went bankrupt, I at the time believed that they were right.,,my childhood had to have been poor and unhappy.

When, I later had "some degree of success", I had come full circle. I was better for it. I realized that I had a better childhood as the son of a farmworker, than most people.

I agree with you "peace is a frame of mind". I understand totally. I'll clink my glass of wine with you.

Best
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #40
Mark Uttech

Peace has all kinds of different outfits, wears all kinds of clothes. There's peace in the middle of war, war in the middle of peace. As the Japanese say: "So desu ka"

In gassho,

Mark

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #41
jennifer paige smith

United_States

"so desu ka"?

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
Mark Uttech

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
"so desu ka"?
Onegasishimasu. "so desu ka" translates as: "oh, really?" But, I am glad you called me on it. For years I had the impression that "so desu ka" had it's english expression in: "so it goes".
I am still hoping that "so it goes" is one of the meanings of "so desu ka"

In gassho,

Mark

Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #43
Mark Uttech

Onegaishimasu. Damn! I forgot to do a spell check first!

In gassho,

Mark