Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
wxyzabc
England
There's time to enjoy : )

Hya

I thought I'd share this with you. This is Tanimoto sensei who imho has some of the finest aikido around. I first met him around 12 years ago and he's brilliant. He's been a true inspiration to me and many : )

Please bear in mind he's now over 60 years old and has spent his life practising aikido...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjCI...&feature=share

Lee
p.s. I'm not responsible for the cheesy music ^^
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: There's time to enjoy : )

The music is cheesy. LOL The demonstration definately worth watching. Thanks for sharing.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Thank you for sharing !
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Sasha Mrkailo
Dojo: Aikido Sombor
Serbia

What is the thing at 1:19?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
wxyzabc
England

Quote:
Sasha Mrkailo wrote: View Post
What is the thing at 1:19?
Hya

It's basically what you see. Tanimoto sensei says that even though he's taking ukemi here "his heart is still standing"..which allows him to do this....i.e he doesn't lay down and "give up" but maintains awareness and connection at all times. Of course in every dojo/organisation there are people of different strengths/sensitivity, and every uke is different too...so what feels cold for some feels hot for others. This is a simple explanation btw...

I should say that there is a great sense of joy in his practise and this is reflected in everyone who trains with him. Practise is quite simply a pleasure and good fun too. It's very important to maintain the correct feeling towards your partner..he happily says he always feels love for anyone he practises with.

Some can go very wrong with feeling things like I must show great strength/power...trying to show people the mat ^^....that will actually hinder development in true aikido in many ways imho.
Some other shihan often try to say the same things but in different ways...and for sure if you can't do things well slowly, you can't do them well fast : )

All the best

Lee

Last edited by wxyzabc : 10-21-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Grammar again ; )
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Sasha Mrkailo
Dojo: Aikido Sombor
Serbia

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Krystal Locke
United_States

Hmmm, "different strengths/sensitivities"....

I get very suspicious when an aikido person or a homeopath tells me their stuff isn't working on me because I am not sensitive enough.

Then again, I sometimes move dramatically away from sensei because I am well and fully aware that he can completely put his fist thoroughly through my face if I do not get out of the way post haste. Not that he would....
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
wxyzabc
England

Hya Krystal

I understand : )

I'm going to step away from here a little bit as I'm not going to get into any kind of debate over this. I wanted to share someone with exceptional skill and dedication to the art...someone that many people may be very happy to see.

Simply put though, If you practise with as many people as you can, then you'll find things that will work very well on some people and not so well with others... knowing/sensing immediately what you can do in any given moment with any kind of person is part of the long journey

Lee
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Then again, I sometimes move dramatically away from sensei because I am well and fully aware that he can completely put his fist thoroughly through my face if I do not get out of the way post haste. Not that he would....
heh, I thought I was the only one that did that. So many of the younger guys I train with constantly attack my Shihan as he tosses them about with little to no effort. I just assume I would get destroyed and stay out of it entirely. I wonder if that is a guy thing or not?

--Ashley