Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Confused Looking for a special Bokken/Bokuto

I was recently at NY Aikikai's 40th Anniversary Summer Camp, and I saw a type of Bokken I had never seen before -- and now, I want one (and so do 3 others in my dojo). I've searched EVERYWHERE on-line, trying to find it, to no avail (yet).

Here's what I saw: oak bokken, Yagyu-ryu style (narrow and light-weight), with plastic saya (sheath) and hang-cords, black rubber hand-grip with integrated rubber tsuba (hand-guard), textured like a true katana's handle.

Kid who owned it claimed to have found it in a weapons shop in New York City. It was extremely well balanced, and held up during hard contact kata practice.

Anyone with any information, please give me a clue -- my sensei keeps asking me if I've located a supplier, yet, and I hate to keep disappointing him.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Looking for a special Bokken/Bokuto

I've never seen one with a rubber handle, textured or otherwise. However, if you're looking for bokuto with saya, many kendo/iaido suppliers carry them. You can get them at BoguBag.com among other places.

Kentokuseisei
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
pezalinski

United_States

By the way it was manufactured, I know it was not a one-of-a-kind. It was the first one like it that I've ever seen - and the first time I've had serious bokken-envy...
Old 08-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

It's a long shot but Honda is a martial arts supplier in New York City, you might try there. They are located near Chinatown. Or call the NY Aikikai to see if they could recommend some another supplier in NYC....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Could this be it?

Quote:
Shiro Kashi Saya Bokuto

This is our shiro kashi bokuto (without hi), with a plastic saya and our leather single layer tsuba. The perfect beginning step for iaido students, no more pretend saya or trying to hook your hakama himo to get the bokuto tucked away at the side.

More importantly, you can practice noto correctly, with the left hand at the centre rather than at the left hip.

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_...ons.htm#Bokuto

If there was something, some kind of grip actually ON the handle, I'd have to say he or the person who sold it to him added it on there. /shrug

Goodluck with the hunt! I'm pretty sure if there was another out there with a saya, I'd know about it. This is the only one that comes to mind... via the internet (aside from one at e-bogu mentioned above).

Last edited by John Boswell : 08-20-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

http://swordstore.com/cgi-bin/htmlos...4wep-1bok.html

Found one other bokken with a Saya at Sword Store. (Linked above, bottom of page)

The quality of these to far surpass just about anything out there. At least... for the money they are asking, the quality BETTER surpass the rest!

How goes the search, Peter? Haven't heard back. Curious if you ever tracked it down on your own for find something else???

Domo!
Bozz

Old 09-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
thomas_dixon
United_States

I found this link:

http://www.kwonusa.com/kwon/usa/weap...&SInfo=details

And you can search around for a plastic saya...(google)

Last edited by thomas_dixon : 09-30-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

why get a plastic saya when you can get a wooden one that looks cooler?

http://www.bokkenshop.com/eng/258.html

However the whole thing with the bo hi on a bokken. It's not exactly the best idea. It compromises the integrety of the sword. All in all, buying something like this just seems like a waste of money to me. Are you really interested in learning how to draw and sheath the sword? If so get an iaito. If you're just going to be using it like a novelty and nothing more, i highly suggest not spending so much cash, and getting one of these babies: http://www.bokkenshop.com/eng/3.html it will last you forever and you can bash it like the mafia would a narc. Practicality over "coolness" is how i like to go.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 10-03-2004, 06:29 AM   #9
thomas_dixon
United_States

Plastic is less abrasive than wood. And yeah a Bo Hi is a waste of time in a bokken, because Bo His are there to give a smoother cut, and you can't cut anythign with a bokken except styrofoam...and even that just gets beaten until it falls apart LOL. Plus, not all Iaido schools use Iaito. Some use shinken. I just bought a cheap $10 century bokken made out of red oak. it works great.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
pezalinski

United_States

Well, I have given up on finding it. I suppose I could wrap the handle of a good oak bokken, and modify it for a fixed tsuba, and buy the saya... but, as someone already posted, what's the point? It's only going to look neat -- it's not in and of itself going to improve any of my techniques.

I thought to pick up a saya for one of my existing bokken, since some of the kata we do requires starting with a "drawing" of the bokken... but my sensei doesn't have one, and hasn't sen the need, so why should I waste the money?

Thanks for all the help, though! Some of those sites, I hadn't found on my own, yet.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Well...does everything in life have to serve a purpose and a single purpose?...I mean, if you wanted a cool looking bokken and weren't in desperate need of the money then I'd say go for it and get one of the bokken mentioned above. It might not improve your technique or help you financially...but it would be something that you wanted whic could improve your morale...

Bryce