Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2001, 02:40 PM   #1
David
The Club i have been going to has just closed down due to it not getting enough people So now I am going to find a new club/dojo. I just want some help with what the various styles of Aikido are like and the differences between them are i.e Aikiki and Ueshiba.
Thanx in advance.

David-Feeling a bit down.

I wanna Practice!

David
Old 02-13-2001, 04:00 PM   #2
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Drag!

Sorry to hear about that. I think that that may be everyones worst fear. But on the bright side, you get to explore new places and meet new people. I myself just a few weeks ago wound up here in Atlanta, after starting aikido 3 years ago and stayed with the same club in Montreal.

I have been to two very different aikido clubs; Shin Budo Kai, and Emory University (both web sites can be found through the dojo locator on this site);
long story short; TRY IT ALL! You wont really know what to think of a club 'till you go to at least one practice. There are so many elements; teacher, students, general feeling of the club (bunch of wanks or nice people), etc, never mind which style they practice. For me, I wont be going back to one of them for my own reasons, and have found a home at the other. I plan to try all the ones I can get to without a car!

Take this advice for what its worth. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ps I still haven't figured out the differences yet; hope someone can explain it to you.
Old 02-13-2001, 04:14 PM   #3
David
Thanks for the reply.

The only thing is im 14, so I can't drive (legally ) and my Dad often gets home late from work, so I can only attend clubs that are quite close to whare I live
But my search will go on.

I wanna Practice!

David
Old 02-14-2001, 01:16 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi David

Sorry to hear about your club closing. Your question is very difficult to answer, but it would be a little easier if you tell us what you are looking for. Perhaps tell us what 'style' your old dojo was teaching.

Basically you can choose between aikido styles that choose to incorporate other MA's and new ideas or styles that try to develop aikido within its own frame.

By chance I started out in a 'original' Aikido style which has proven to suit me fine, but other people prefer to practice Aikido that contains elements from Karate, Judo, Jui Juitsu etc. I can't say what is good for you, but I am very happy to be a student of Shojii Nishio Sensei who as far as I know teach in the States on a regular basis. He teaches Aikikai aikido (One of the main 'styles') but with his own 'twist' since he is emphazising the importance of the sword and the jo in Aikido.

However - the most important thing for you to look for is a dojo that provide the attitude towards aikido and humans that fits you. Just as Nick says: go try them all and choose the place that makes you feel best. After all you are hopefully going to spend a lot of time there.

Oh by the way - I wish I had started at your age, so keep it up

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-14-2001, 01:41 AM   #5
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Among the tendencies prevalent in aikido today are the soft approach emphasizing circular or ki no nagare techniques of Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba of the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, the so-called hard-style school of Yoshinkan Aikido headed by Gozo Shioda Sensei, the emphasis on the concept of "ki" of Shinshin Toitsu Aikido as espoused by Koichi Tohei Sensei, the eclectic system of Minoru Mochizuki Sensei of Yoseikan Aikido, and the sports aikido system which includes competition devised by Kenji Tomiki Shihan. To these must be added the unified technical curriculum formulated by 9th dan Aikikai Shihan Morihiro Saito. Saito Sensei's approach stressing the interrelationship between taijutsu and bukiwaza
by Stanley Pranin

I thought this might be helpful to you as it describes all the main style.
Also I am sorry to hear about the closer of your dojo.

Graham Wild
Old 02-14-2001, 01:38 PM   #6
David
Thanks for the replys everyone, I will let you know how it goes.

I wanna Practice!

David