Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
kyu mg
Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton
United_States
Training partner

Steve is a Orange belt and we like training together.
Last nite I ask him how early he could come to class and train together.
We agreed to meet 1 hr before class twice a week to work out.
This has been a little goal of mine to hook up with someone so we could help each other....
Any pros or cons to this....?
Thanks in advance to all replies.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Training partner

Pros is more practice. Cons are that you could be learning bad habits or cause an injury if you are working on something that you don't have too much experience with.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
kyu mg
Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton
United_States

Between the both of us, we can figure out the move, If where in doubt, Michael Sensei is there to help....
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

I'm supposed to help my husband load the rental truck for a carpentry installation, so here's a few quick thoughts: some pro, some con... Ashley is right, there are a few things to watch out for. At least a senior person or teacher should be showing up in case something (hope not, though) should happen in the way of injury. Probably the most dangerous time for extra practice is after class, both from the possible fatigue situation and the euphoria from the fun of the preceding class! (sorry I got carried away and used both Greek and Latin words in the same sentence)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

simultaneous post! at least I got part of the question right
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Mike.
I would say it's pro's all the way, no cons. For me I tell people that the best way of training is for them to have a training partner of similar experience and goals that they can share the journey with, practice with before or after training.

Go for it.

Regards.G.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Adam Huss

United_States

Well as long as your teacher is there it should be fine. Dojo often have tricky insurance policies...so whatever your dojo cho deems acceptable should be alright. If you are learning bad habits from training under minimal supervision....its not a big deal at your level. It will be quickly noticed during regular class and corrected. I would reccomend taking notes and video when praciticing. Take notes of questions that come up, and take quick vids (cell phone, digital camera, actual video camera, etc) with some device that has playback so you can immediately see what you are doing. Its great to hear of your enthusiasm and extra effort...energy and effort are two of the more important training tools in the martial arts!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Go for it! It's good to have time to experiment and then have questions to bring back to the instructor.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
JW

Sounds like you are aware of the injury issues, but you don't need to do anything injury-prone to get a lot out of this.
Regarding avoiding the bad habits issue (which I agree is not too big a deal since you still go to regular class too), what I would do in your shoes is use the time to work on specific corrections you have already gotten.
I think this kind of practice is of critical importance because you can really focus on one thing at a time, for many repititions, rather than a whole technique (and I get the impression the uchideshi of the old Ueshiba dojo sort of did it this way too).
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
terry johnson

Dojo: Pattaya Thai Aikido
Thailand

Train when and where you can. The more you put in the more you get out!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Mario Tobias
Philippines

having a partner who you train with regularly certainly would have more pros than cons. ideally, he should be as the same level as you. batchmates from your gradings are the best since the egos are forgotten.

train with a senior and you would feel like you know nothing and most likely he would do most of the talking. train with a junior and you end up training him which leaves little time for your training.

the important thing with this activity is openness to experimentation and openness to some level of constructive criticism. pick a partner with the same skill and you'll find its easier to let go of your egos.

just set expectations that safety comes first. the more you you are on the mat, the more you are prone to injury.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

I agree, although training with both seniors and juniors can also be very rewarding. I often do both and it's fun. If the junior one isn't a total beginner, you can very well just throw each other, try things out... and of course it's a great opportunity for the junior to have one-on-one training with a more experienced partner. But the other way round is also very nice and you can always learn something!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

The good thing about a training partner is that it keeps you coming to class and keeps you training. They will expect you to show up and to work. The downside, particularly if you're both pretty inexperienced, is that it can be a case of the blind leading the blind. Stick to basics and don't try to teach each other -- if you come across something that you're not sure about, make a note of it and ask your sensei the next time you're in class, and you should be fine.