Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States
Looking for first hakama - help, please!

I am looking to buy my first hakama, and now that Bu Jin has closed I am at a loss. Any advice on what kind, what material, how heavy, where to buy, etc. would be appreciated. I am about 5'4" and wear a women's size 10 - I'm pretty curvy and high-waisted. Maybe other women close to my size have some insights? I would have gotten the Bu Jin women's hakama, but now I don't know where to look!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Looking for first hakama - help, please!

It is all on what you like and what you are using it for.......

hakama that keep pleats well, go with a poly blend or one with sewn pleats (iaido people seem to prefer poly)
hakama that require a bit more upkeep, go with cotton
hakama that are light, go with a poly blend
hakama that are heavy, go with cotton
hakama with indigo dye, you have to get cotton
hakama that will last, go with cotton (though poly can last a long time if you are doing iaido or less suwariwaza)

Look around at several sites. Everyone has their own favorites. Buy a few if you have the money and you will soon learn what material you like and who has better quality hakama. Pick a color that you like AND that your sensei approves of. Most dojo allow either black or blue.

Some sites will do embriodery on hakama, which can be nice. Just make sure that it is alright with your sensei before you do something like that. Another thing is make sure you get the correct length for you. Some sites sell by waist only, but some also allow you to pick length. Also, some people require longer himo (straps), so make sure you order extra length if you need them!

You may want to try on some hakamas that other students wear in your dojo. This may give you an idea of what material you prefer and you can ask them how long they have had them for an idea of longevity.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
RED
United_States

I'm your exact size. And am very hippy, so much so I avoid wearing gi pants and wear yoga pants under my hakama.

This sit has good hakama. I like the tetron, i live in florida and tetron is very light. It also keeps its pleats.
https://www.budogu.com/products.cfm?...categoryId=246

For my height and size, wear a size 23.

if you are looking for cheap check out: http://www.e-bogu.com/Aikido_Hakama_s/131.htm

MM
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
NagaBaba

Buy from Iwata. They are the best.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Thanks for the input, ladies. I guess I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the first one; neither do I want one that is such poor quality that I hate it.

Maggie - I was looking at that tetron one at e-bogu last week and thought it looked pretty good. Our dojo is like a sauna in the summer, so maybe on the lighter side is not a bad idea. Also the stitched pleats might be helpful, since it may take me a while to get good at folding it. Do you think it's worth the extra $28 to get the budogu version instead?

Thanks for the input on sizing! I was wondering if I should size up to accommodate my shape. Sounds like I should be okay just going by height/waist.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
David Maidment
United Nations

I'm never going to stop recommending these guys: Nine Circles

I have the H2 and the H11 models (both with stitched pleats) and I love them both. Personally I prefer the feel of the heavier ones. They also do a rubber 'Aiki' style koshiita which is quite nice.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
This sit has good hakama. I like the tetron, i live in florida and tetron is very light. It also keeps its pleats.
https://www.budogu.com/products.cfm?...categoryId=246
Another vote for their tetron hak (+ great customer service).
I am very short and round and very happy w/ the fit.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
RED
United_States

Quote:
Anita Dacanay wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input, ladies. I guess I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the first one; neither do I want one that is such poor quality that I hate it.

Maggie - I was looking at that tetron one at e-bogu last week and thought it looked pretty good. Our dojo is like a sauna in the summer, so maybe on the lighter side is not a bad idea. Also the stitched pleats might be helpful, since it may take me a while to get good at folding it. Do you think it's worth the extra $28 to get the budogu version instead?

Thanks for the input on sizing! I was wondering if I should size up to accommodate my shape. Sounds like I should be okay just going by height/waist.
I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on your first hakama in general.
The budogu one is really nice though, it is worth what it costs.
Most people like to buy a nicer one at black belt. My first hakama is from ebogu, it is falling apart at the stitches right now. I mean it isn't as nicely made, but it does the job.

Yeah, don't ever adjust the size for your waist. For your height only. They are pretty wide, and you can tie them to fit your waist. If your waist is over 38 inches and you are female, consider buying it with an extended tie. But I got a 30 inch waist and am the same height as you and I wear a size 10 dress, and the standard length ties are fine. I ordered a 23 and it was cool.

Last edited by RED : 06-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.

MM
Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
ninjaqutie

United_States

As for bujin hakamas, I have a women's hakama from them. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY pleased with it, but I don't really notice much of a difference in how it fits compared to the "regular" hakama I was borrowing from my sensei before I ordered from bujin. I am thin, but I am quite hippy for my size. I think you will be pleased with a standard hakama provided you find the material, quality and price range you are looking for.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
RED
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
As for bujin hakamas, I have a women's hakama from them. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY pleased with it, but I don't really notice much of a difference in how it fits compared to the "regular" hakama I was borrowing from my sensei before I ordered from bujin. I am thin, but I am quite hippy for my size. I think you will be pleased with a standard hakama provided you find the material, quality and price range you are looking for.
The only difference I could tell is with how the pleats fall. They fall a little straighter.

MM
Old 06-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Wow, that is all very helpful, everyone. Thank you so much. Ashley, the hakama is for Aikido only. Thanks for your input on the Bu Jin cut; now I don't feel so bad about missing out. David, I looked at the Nine Circles stuff and it is very affordable. So I think I have a few good choices now. I just have to wait for my paycheck so that I can order one!

Thank you for the sizing info, Maggie. I was originally going to go for the size 24, because I am actually a little over 5'4" and my waist sits very high on my frame. I know everyone says to tie your belt below the waist, but in my experience if I don't tie it close to the smallest part of my waist, it just rides up there anyway as soon as I take a roll, and then my top falls open. In any event, now I'm thinking maybe I should get the 23, because apparently we are long lost twins as we have the same measurements! (I also have a 30" waist and I think we wear the same bra size, if I correctly recall a recent post about sports bras! lol)

I'll let you all know what I get and how I like it... and how long it takes for me to figure how to tie the darn thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
Adam Huss

United_States

Anita,
Looking forward to how you like the new hakama, hope it works our for you!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
I know everyone says to tie your belt below the waist, but in my experience if I don't tie it close to the smallest part of my waist, it just rides up there anyway as soon as I take a roll, and then my top falls open.
Bear in mind hakama and dogi were designed to be worn by Japanese men. We women with hips bigger than their waists pretty much have to wear obi and tie hak up at the waistline to avoid wardrobe malfunction.

Janet Rosen
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
RED
United_States

Quote:
Wow, that is all very helpful, everyone. Thank you so much. Ashley, the hakama is for Aikido only. Thanks for your input on the Bu Jin cut; now I don't feel so bad about missing out. David, I looked at the Nine Circles stuff and it is very affordable. So I think I have a few good choices now. I just have to wait for my paycheck so that I can order one!

Thank you for the sizing info, Maggie. I was originally going to go for the size 24, because I am actually a little over 5'4" and my waist sits very high on my frame. I know everyone says to tie your belt below the waist, but in my experience if I don't tie it close to the smallest part of my waist, it just rides up there anyway as soon as I take a roll, and then my top falls open. In any event, now I'm thinking maybe I should get the 23, because apparently we are long lost twins as we have the same measurements! (I also have a 30" waist and I think we wear the same bra size, if I correctly recall a recent post about sports bras! lol)

I'll let you all know what I get and how I like it... and how long it takes for me to figure how to tie the darn thing.
Men should tie it just above the hips...women should tie it at the smallest part of their waist. Don't get it too long though. You'll step on the thing when taking forward rolls and fall on your face lol

MM
Old 06-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Maggie, I'm sure I'll find a way to fall on my face a few times even if it's not too long! Practicing Aikido is ever an exercise in humility for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Practicing Aikido is ever an exercise in humility for me.
Oh ain't that the truth :-)

Janet Rosen
Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
RED
United_States

Quote:
Maggie, I'm sure I'll find a way to fall on my face a few times even if it's not too long! Practicing Aikido is ever an exercise in humility for me.
I've fallen on my face while sitting... I put nothing past myself at this point lol

MM
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #18
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Oh ain't that the truth :-)
Yes indeed it is! Although I am pretty happy about passing my 6th kyu test last week. I knew I would pass, but I had my own goals about how I wanted to do on the test, and I felt that I met them. I also got a lot of positive feedback from other folks. When I first started I really didn't know if I would last a day, and it is encouraging to have reached this first benchmark.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
ninjaqutie

United_States

Congrats on passing and I hope your hakama fits. I trip on mine in iaido (only yudansha wear hakama in my dojo for aikido). I have conceded that I will more then likely tuck my hakama up into the himo for a capri version of a hakama when I am forced against my will to wear one. Luckily for me, that is a LONG way off.

Also, like everyone else said, tie your hakama and belt wherever you need to. It is something men just don't understand. Their boxy frames suit tying it in that location rather well and some men in my dojo have a tiny tummy and that keeps it down even more

Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Hey Anita,

Congratulations on passing your test! Only a few more until shodan....

Cheers,
Garth
Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #21
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Quote:
Garth Jones wrote: View Post
Hey Anita,

Congratulations on passing your test! Only a few more until shodan....

Cheers,
Garth
LOL - Yeah, just a few little tests, that's all. Thanks, Garth!

And thanks to you too, Ashley. Yes, the uniform was not designed with women in mind. I have such wardrobe issues already in Aikido: can't keep my belt tied, pants fall down, top flops open, my hair gets in the way and comes undone... I can only imagine the fun when I start wearing the hakama as well. Why can't we just wear something that stays put... like spandex?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #22
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Now first of all I'd much prefer training in just a keikogi... but that said:
Actually I find that the hakama can help keep the rest in place - pants can't fall down even if the drawstring comes loose, and the jacket stays closed easier with all the hakama strings wrapped around my waist. :-) The trick for me is to tie the hakama a bit tighter than I'd like before class, it'll adjust during movement.

I have a tetron hak from budogu and I'm very happy with it.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #23
Anita Dacanay
United_States

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
Now first of all I'd much prefer training in just a keikogi... but that said:
Actually I find that the hakama can help keep the rest in place - pants can't fall down even if the drawstring comes loose, and the jacket stays closed easier with all the hakama strings wrapped around my waist. :-) The trick for me is to tie the hakama a bit tighter than I'd like before class, it'll adjust during movement.

I have a tetron hak from budogu and I'm very happy with it.

kvaak
Pauliina
I can see how the hakama could serve to help keep everything in place - that's a good point, Pauliina!

And that makes three votes for the budogu tetron... thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Buy from Iwata. They are the best.
I don't know about that. Had a student spend a lot of money on one from there and it pretty much started coming apart after a few practices.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Maidment wrote: View Post
I'm never going to stop recommending these guys: Nine Circles

I have the H2 and the H11 models (both with stitched pleats) and I love them both. Personally I prefer the feel of the heavier ones. They also do a rubber 'Aiki' style koshiita which is quite nice.
Thanks for the heads up. Been looking for a good deal and this seems to be it. Just ordered one from them. All my bujin ones are starting to look pretty ragged and worn.