Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
the unattainable goal

My sensei is writing an article for a magazine (not sure which one) and I was asked to translated it. I'm american and another dojo member is french. We were going over the translation, and there was one part about one of the goals of life is to cultivate to your character to the level of god, even though it's an unattainable goal. My french friend said that this idea of the unattainable goal would not be easy to understand for western people. This concept is a pretty basic part of all traditional arts in Japan, and I've become to used to it, it didn't occur to me. He said that western people can't understand having a goal that you can never reach. Since this forum's members are mostly from the western world, I wonder what everyone thinks.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: the unattainable goal

Quote:
Ani Forbes wrote: View Post
My sensei is writing an article for a magazine (not sure which one) and I was asked to translated it. I'm american and another dojo member is french. We were going over the translation, and there was one part about one of the goals of life is to cultivate to your character to the level of god, even though it's an unattainable goal. My french friend said that this idea of the unattainable goal would not be easy to understand for western people. This concept is a pretty basic part of all traditional arts in Japan, and I've become to used to it, it didn't occur to me. He said that western people can't understand having a goal that you can never reach. Since this forum's members are mostly from the western world, I wonder what everyone thinks.
I do not think this is quite true. The concept is central to dialectic in Plato and was taken over by early Christian mystics. There is also a more modern belief in the perfectibility of man. There is a book by John Passmore with the same title.

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

From a modern perspective you would be better off with challenging attainable goals rather than unattainable ones. It makes more sense in terms of commitment.

See Challenging Goals

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, the goal is always unattainable if you set your direction right and keep moving.

Just say what Sensei wants to say.

The rest of us will figure it out. Or not.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

I think this may be a misunderstanding on the part of your French friend.

Focusing on the path rather than the destination is very much a part of the traditional Japanese arts here in America as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote: View Post
From a modern perspective you would be better off with challenging attainable goals rather than unattainable ones. It makes more sense in terms of commitment.

See Challenging Goals
In a sense you could say that all goals are unattainable because the instant you have reached it, it ceases to be a goal any more. Training is about constantly updating your goals, knowing that you never actually arrive.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Training is about constantly updating your goals, knowing that you never actually arrive.
This is a keeper George. There's a quote from G.K. Chesterton that I really like that has some relevance to this subject...

"A man must love a thing very much if he
not only practices it without any hope of fame or money,
but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."

- G.K. Chesterton

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

I've always liked this interview:

http://www.kwanumzen.com/primarypoin...ateaspoon.html

Best,

Chris

Old 06-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post

- G.K. Chesterton
That pretty much sums up my pursuit of aikido.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
DH
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post

- G.K. Chesterton
Great one Chuck. It expresses my feelings about a Koryu I do very well. I consider my pursuit of it as really rather hopeless-for several reasons-but I simply cannot resist.
I'll share this with a few fellow addicts.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Hey Dan, I ran across that quote some years ago and recognized that it already lived in my heart. Chesterton wrote a good book about Francis of Assisi (one of my heroes...) and when I finished that book, I started seeing quotes from him all over the place it seemed. This was one of them.

If we could resist, a number of us wouldn't be doing budo... there's lots of things we could be doing with our time and passion that would make those around us happier, but... it's part of who I am and what I do. Fortunately, most of my family that's left train also.

An old story I remember: Shimizu Takaji Sensei (of Shinto Muso Ryu) was asked just before he died what he was thinking about. He replied from his death bed, "I wish my left side honte uchi felt as good as my right side honte uchi." Anyway, that's the way the story goes...

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
dps

Quote:
Ani Forbes wrote: View Post
My french friend said that this idea of the unattainable goal would not be easy to understand for western people. .
Jesus Christ in Matthew 5:48, instructs all of His disciples to, "Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

As unattainable western goal.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

Thanks for everyone's input. I kind of live in my japanese bubble anymore and have lost touch with the western world so to speak. I think that what my friend said is a valid point, but maybe not if the audience is familiar with this kind of philosophy which is the foundation of many martial arts. The article is really good, I will let everyone know what magazine when it comes out. it was my first real translation, so I was terribly unsure of myself, but I think it came out ok. we are also taking about putting his various writings on our website in japanese and english. so stay tuned. sorry if it's too much PR.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
In a sense you could say that all goals are unattainable because the instant you have reached it, it ceases to be a goal any more. Training is about constantly updating your goals, knowing that you never actually arrive.
While you never arrive at a final goal, I believe you can reach a level of personal satisfaction. Like when I. Takahashi was transferred from LA for doing ikkyo.

One day Takahashi Sensei said, "Today we'll take a close look at ikkyo." This statement was meet by a collective groan from the dojo. Most of the members were young guys who liked learning and doing many different throws. Studying one basic technique was not anyone's idea of fun.

Time passed.

One month later, they were still doing ikkyo.

"This old guy has completely lost it.", members were saying. "We need a new chief instructor." At the time, hombu dojo was still sending out instructors. Takahashi Sensei was reassigned to Chicago and someone else was sent to LA.

This happened many years ago and most of the people involved would have forgotten the incident.

Yet before he died Takahashi Sensei was heard to say, "I think I'm finally getting the hang of ikkyo."

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You