Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Chris Knight
England
Sokaku Takeda footage

Does anyone know if this is available, displaying footage of him maybe teaching or providing a demonstration. I'm presuming that if Budo was created for Ueshiba, than there must be some out there?

I'm interested to see how his movement compares to Ueshiba, and also Sagawa - but his footage seems just as difficult to find...

Chris
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Sokaku Takeda footage

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if this is available, displaying footage of him maybe teaching or providing a demonstration. I'm presuming that if Budo was created for Ueshiba, than there must be some out there?

I'm interested to see how his movement compares to Ueshiba, and also Sagawa - but his footage seems just as difficult to find...

Chris
Good luck in that quest - I have never seen nor heard of any - if any exist, they are probably lost in someone's private archives - I think the closet you are going to get to what Takeda was doing on film would be the few clips of Kodo Horikawa that are out in the public domain.

Greg
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

I've heard rumors, but...I'll believe it when I see it...

Best,

Chris

Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I've heard rumors, but...I'll believe it when I see it...

Best,

Chris
I've been told there is some film of ST, but it's from his acrobatic days with the traveling circus...!!!
That was when he still had his front teeth. He was really into hand balancing(anything to impress the ladies). ;0)

Take Care,

ChrisW
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
I've been told there is some film of ST, but it's from his acrobatic days with the traveling circus...!!!
That was when he still had his front teeth. He was really into hand balancing(anything to impress the ladies). ;0)

Take Care,

ChrisW
Chris

Takeda Sokaku was an acrobate? I was not aware of this. I don't think I have read this before. What do you mean by hand balancing? Like balancing an object in your hand?

Could you name a book or other publication (Aikido Journal?) that mentions this or tells more about it?

Tom
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Chris

Takeda Sokaku was an acrobate? I was not aware of this. I don't think I have read this before. What do you mean by hand balancing? Like balancing an object in your hand?

Could you name a book or other publication (Aikido Journal?) that mentions this or tells more about it?

Tom
He was with a kind of traveling circus:

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2011/0...tanley-pranin/

Best,

Chris

Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Tengu859
United_States

Quote:
Chris

Tom
Tom,

Sorry. I was just kidding around a bit. Don't take me seriously. Hand balancing is learning to do handstands...it's supposed to be good for the core...if it's any good in developing IP/Aiki, I don't know.
:0)

Take Care,

ChrisW

PS Thanks Chris...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Tom,

Sorry. I was just kidding around a bit. Don't take me seriously. Hand balancing is learning to do handstands...it's supposed to be good for the core...if it's any good in developing IP/Aiki, I don't know.

Take Care,

ChrisW

PS Thanks Chris...
Cartwheels used to be a standard part of the warm-ups at Katsuyuki Kondo's dojo, it was hell until I got used to them.

Best,

Chris

Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Thomas Campbell

There is no footage of Sokaku Takeda in Huzhou or Daishi, Zhejiang, PRC (I checked). There are some very good noodles and some decent qinna, however. Aikiweb and Dan Harden's forum are available behind the Great Firewall of China, but for some reason Mike Sigman's Blogspot site is not. Dantien is over-rated in the West and the kua/yao are not trained nearly enough. All agree that it has to be felt but, more specifically, you have to be thrown.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
He was with a kind of traveling circus:

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2011/0...tanley-pranin/

Best,

Chris
Thank you for the link.

It does not mention what he is actually practicing.

It would be interesting to find out.

Although he is only eighteen then and the chronology does not mention if he was still into acrobatics in later life.

Tom
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Cartwheels used to be a standard part of the warm-ups at Katsuyuki Kondo's dojo, it was hell until I got used to them.

Best,

Chris
Cartwheels are standard training in Shorinji kempo as well !

Tom.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Tom,

Take Care,

ChrisW

PS Thanks Chris...
Maybe not for developing neijin. But I know of at least one T'ai chi expert who uses his neijin in acrobatics.

Tom
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Tengu859
United_States

Quote:
Maybe not for developing neijin. But I know of at least one T'ai chi expert who uses his neijin in acrobatics.

Tom
Tom,

Aiki makes everything better!!! It seems that once you have a grasp of the basics of IS/IP/Aiki you can apply it to anything you do...farming, running, weapons...whatever you choose!!! One day :0)

Take Care,

ChrisW
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Tom,

Aiki makes everything better!!! It seems that once you have a grasp of the basics of IS/IP/Aiki you can apply it to anything you do...farming, running, weapons...whatever you choose!!! One day :0)

Take Care,

ChrisW
Chris

You are right, Aiki can be found everywhere and makes everything better, easier, more natural.

Farming and practicing with weapons are part of my daily routine. But not running. Not unless I have to.

All the best,

Tom
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Tom Verhoeven
France

I get the impression that there are not that many photo's of him doing techniques either? Not as much as with O Sensei anyway.

Tom
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Tengu859
United_States

Quote:
I get the impression that there are not that many photo's of him doing techniques either? Not as much as with O Sensei anyway.

Tom
I'm sure there are more photos. Most likely in private collections...Mr Pranin might even have some still unpublished ones as well. I know he has some interesting information that has of yet been made public(he seems that he does not want to step on any toes). One day there might be many shocked people out there.

All The Best,

ChrisW
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
Scott Harrington
United_States

Ed -- From unknown translator -- English version of Daitokan newsletters regarding Sokaku Takeda, Daito ryu headmaster as told by his son, Tokimune Takeda, late headmaster.

With the Boshin War over (during Takeda's childghood), and then the Seinan Civil War, the government put pressure on control of weapons and martial arts schools. Thus Sokaku's sword training was temporarily curtailed. -- Ed.

Sokaku's Training as an acrobat

As he was traveling for self-training, he happened across a troupe of acrobats who were very popular at that time. The group consisting of about 12 acrobats made their headquarters in Nagasaki Prefecture.

The head of the troupe asked Sokaku to help them with their act if he did not have any pressing business. Sokaku had been small in size since childhood but quite nimble. He was skillful at somersaults and had been nicknamed "Kozaru" (little monkey.)

Since he was interested in acrobatics, he joined the troupe and toured with them performing acrobatic stunts. The most popular attraction was tightrope walking on a unicycle. Sokaku absorbed himself in practicing riding the unicycle on the tightrope every night till dawn after the others had fallen asleep. Finally, he mastered the technique in about seven days. The leader of the troupe was amazed at his skill in acrobatics in such a short time. He also perfected other acrobatic skills in addition to riding the unicycle.

Neat story -
Scott Harrington
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #18
Tengu859
United_States

Hello Scott,

Just wondering(because I don't remember reading this story so indepth), where did you come across this story? Aikinews? I've read most of the back issues...maybe, I need to read them again. Any information would be great. Thanks. :0)

Take Care,

ChrisW
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
DH
United_States

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post

Chris
There is a film of Sokaku. It is held by one branch of Daito ryu. Sagawa offered a huge amount of money for it.
It was filmed at Asahi dojo.
Dan
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
Scott Harrington
United_States

ChrisW,

Many years ago I ran into a translation of many of the Daitokan newsletters into English. Unknown translator - did a great job. Much of Pranin's stuff regarding Sokaku Takeda comes from this material which is basically stories by the late headmaster Tokimune Takeda.

The material gives a different view of Sokaku than some stuff out there. Comes across as a man who loves training in the martial arts, trapped in the samurai age as the whole country transforms into the 20th century western model.

Literally, he went from surviving the Boshin War with swords against guns to seeing Japan being bombed by Doolittle and the Japanese Navy defeated at Midway.

Even though Sokaku taught extensively military and police, there seems to be little hard copy on him. Pranin has done a hard job well.

Scott Harrington
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Tengu859
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
There is a film of Sokaku. It is held by one branch of Daito ryu. Sagawa offered a huge amount of money for it.
It was filmed at Asahi dojo.
Dan
Too bad I'm not one of the $550 million dollar winners, otherwise I would have let the cat out of the bag...I'm doing exactly what Takeda, Sagawa, Horikawa are doing...!!! ;0)

Take Care,

ChrisW

PS It would have been grand new dojos for everyone...!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Tengu859
United_States

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should be a bit clearer. Is this material the same as what is in the Aikinews archives or is it different? Just wondering. Thanks again. :0)

ChrisW