Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:11 AM   #1
Andrea Demel
Aikido: A good choice?

Hi, I'm Andrea, 13, and I was just wondering if any of you could tell me if I would do well to choose aikido. I'm quite interested, because, well, I've been a gymnast for many years, but ended up not having time to go five days a week for four hours each day...anyway, I digress. What I mean is, I'm looking for something new with a lot of physical activity. I've heard a lot about aikido and the benefits of it and all that. I have plenty of time, so I'm not one of those people who goes to a school and wants instant gratification, but truly want to train in something. Based on this, can anyone tell me if aikido would be a good choice, and where I can find a listing of the dojos in my area (Plano, Texas), as I'd like to maybe visit a class to see how it is.

Thank you for your help,
Andrea
Old 11-20-2003, 07:22 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Hi Andrea,

Wow, you sound very mature for a 13 year old.

At any rate, you really won't know if aikido is for you till you give it a couple of months.

There are two dojo in the Plano area. Check them out at http://www.aikiweb.com/search .

I know Russel Alvey the instructor at North Texas Aikido. He's a good guy. His instructor, Pat Hendricks Sensei, is one of the top instructors in the country.

The other dojo might be wonderful too, I just don't know them. $80 per month for 3 classes per week seems steep to me, though.

I recommend observing classes or actually training at both classes then picking the one that works best for you.

If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to call either instructor and talk to them for you.

Regards,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 11-20-2003 at 07:35 AM.

Greg Jennings
Old 11-20-2003, 08:05 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, if you have some information (which you do) and you have some interest (which you do), there is only one way to find out if Aikido is a good choice for you, get on the mat and give it a try.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Andrea,

Do not be scared by which style of Aikido the dojo practice. Even under each style and association there are major differences in the way techniques are taught.

You could go to each dojo which is around you, watch a class and train a couple of time. Then chose the one where you had most fun. Don't get hand up on Shodokan, Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Ki soc or what not. Besides, by the time you reach 4th dan, it'll all be the same!

On a side note, make sure that you are careful about your joints. Since you are still growing, doing some techniques may damage your bones -- especially wrist locks. Make sure your instructor is qualified and legitimate -- ie knows what he is doing.

Good luck.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
paw
Ultimately I'd agree with the recommendations you've received --- start visiting dojo and training for a few weeks and see how you feel, not just about aikido, but the particular dojo where you train. It's generally more than worth it to travel for a class you enjoy than settle for a so-so class that's convenient.

Since you mentioned gymnastics, you may want to look into capoeira, which has more acrobatic moves and is often quite dancelike. Not sure if there's any schools in your area, but here's an information link that should give you an idea.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-20-2003, 08:54 AM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Aikido is budo... its not a physical activity you take up to replace something that commits 4 hrs a day of your time.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you want to do something, you should do it really well. And aikido is not a 1 hr a day at the dojo kinda activity. At least not if you really want to live aikido.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean you have to be so very serious in aikido as i guess you have plenty of time to do that later on in life. yeah, maybe you should have a look see and give it a go.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
itdoka
My advice start and don't stop. Aikido will change your life, it is an amazing choice. Being 13, and just starting aikido, I envy you. The one thing I can say is not to become so into that you get burnt out. Again start and don't stop.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Many people start Aikido for different reasons.

Well, I guess this is how you start.

Good luck...

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 11-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #9
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Ki Symbol

Quote:
ahmad abas (Abasan) wrote:
Aikido is budo... its not a physical activity you take up to replace something that commits 4 hrs a day of your time.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you want to do something, you should do it really well. And aikido is not a 1 hr a day at the dojo kinda activity. At least not if you really want to live aikido.
If your wondering, ignore this sort of nonsense when you come across it. If a school puts out this attitude, walk away. Good aikido involves a balanced life.

To find aikido at 13, I envy you. Go visit some schools in the area. They should let you try a class. They should be very open to providing information on the training background of the instructors. From what I know of the Plano area, your best bets are probably an Iwama Ryu or Aikido of Dallas affiliated school or the Jiyushinkai affiliated club.

best of luck,

Craig
Old 11-20-2003, 06:41 PM   #10
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
just like craig, i envy you too Andrea,wish i had found aikido earlier. anyway, just enjoy the process. after a while you'll know whether aikido is for you or not.

may the ki be with you....
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
jk
Like all the other folks have said, you won't know until you try a few classes. If you're going to do anything that isn't forced upon you, at least make sure there's some fun in it...otherwise there's not much point, is there?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:48 AM   #12
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
"Good aikido involves a balanced life."

That's good advice. As I said, don't take what I said harshly. My intentions are honorable but may not sound that way.

Just like "If your wondering, ignore this sort of nonsense when you come across it." may appear to be rude to me, but I understand where its coming from.

Good luck in your endeavour anyway.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:42 AM   #13
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Craig Hocker (kironin) wrote:
From what I know of the Plano area, your best bets are probably an Iwama Ryu <snip>
Just a nit pick, but Iwama Ryu is an organization. Separate from the Aikikai, btw. To my knowledge, it doesn't exist in the US. The particular conditions that spawned it have never existed here.

I believe all of the dojo teaching the Iwama style of aikido are either CAA Division 1 http://www.ai-ki-do.org or TAA http://www.takemusu.org/ .

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #14
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Cool

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Just a nit pick, but Iwama Ryu is an organization. Separate from the Aikikai, btw. To my knowledge, it doesn't exist in the US. The particular conditions that spawned it have never existed here.
I stand corrected. It's CAA and associated with Pat Hendricks. It's just in my mind I tend to group schools associated with certain US teachers in the Iwama camp. Being I have nothing to do with any Aikikai organizations, I tend to lose track of the many organizations and just associate schools with particular teachers.

There's also an aikido school in Plano proper, but it's not clear from the website which seems poorly made, whether they teach aikido or some potpourri of MA systems. The latter is all too common in Texas.

Craig
Old 11-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #15
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
Andrea,

If only I had begun aikido at 13 ... I was 36 when I began...

In Plano, try

Michael D. Park

Aikido Silver Bridge Dojo

3948 Legacy Drive

Plano, Texas

or

Lynn Fabia

Dallas Aikido Center (home dojo)

Located at The Gym in Lake Highlands

10025 Royal Lane

Dallas, TX 75243

(corner of Royal and Audelia)

I know them both, and they are both fine instructors.

Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #16
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Craig Hocker (kironin) wrote:
I stand corrected. It's CAA and associated with Pat Hendricks. It's just in my mind I tend to group schools associated with certain US teachers in the Iwama camp.
Yep. Alvey Sensei's dojo. See my original post to the thread.

Definitely the Iwama camp (me too through Goto Sensei), just not the Iwama Ryu.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #17
Andrea Demel
Thank you all very much...from what I've heard, Aikido sounds great and I plan to try it out. I guess I'll give it six months to decide whether it's for me...I think any less won't really give it a fair trial. Again, thanks for all the great advice,

Andrea
Old 11-24-2003, 06:12 PM   #18
Robert Bostick
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
For what it's worth, I've been a student at Aikido of Dallas for nearly two years and have found it to be very beginner friendly.

R.Bostick

Robert Bostick
www.rbostick.homestead.com/index.html