Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #51
KaliGman
Dojo: Warren Budokan
United_States
Re: Steven Seagal's Impact on MMA?

Steven Seagal's impact on MMA----about the same as his impact on law enforcement---almost none at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #52
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Steven Seagal's Impact on MMA?

Quote:
Jon Holloway wrote: View Post
Steven Seagal's impact on MMA----about the same as his impact on law enforcement---almost none at all.
Probably true. However, his impact on Aikido seems very real (not to mention the fact that we are still talking about him) and that certainly begs the question of at the end of the day what "impact" will you or any of the rest of us have on any of these areas? More often than not I am guessing that it may fall short of what he has accomplished even factoring in any true negative aspects rom his private life.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
matty_mojo911

God I laughed when I saw these "knockouts" and the words around them.
Segal is clearly a man who thinks a great deal of himself - but why shouldn't he??? Who of any of the writers here have made movies, TV Series and are world famous.
Did he teach these guys the kicks? Maybe or maybe not, but he may well have encouraged them to try something different as he sure as hell would bring a fresh approach to some seasoned MMA fighters. Good fighters seek fresh perspectives.

As an example there are now tons of Rugby League players in NZ and Aussi doing BJJ, not because a BJJ instructor can teach them how to run 50 meters with a ball, but it is a fresh persepctive on the body and how it works.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #54
matty_mojo911

Quote:
Jon Holloway wrote: View Post
Stop making me laugh. But so true.

He should come to NZ and tyr and do a "lawman" series the cops here would say "sure, even bring your camera, but shed a few kilos first...no fatties allowed."
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #55
jester

United_States

Why so much hate for the man? I've never trained with him but know some people who did and they were thoroughly impressed.

I also hope non of you get fat when you grow up!! The ridicule you'll have to endure on public forums would be tremendous!!

Machida says Seagal helped him perfect that kick so what's not to believe. I've also seen Seagal work with Anderson Silva.

I don't think many people here have had an opportunity to advise any pro MMA fighters.

-
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #56
BJohnston
United_States

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Why so much hate for the man? I've never trained with him but know some people who did and they were thoroughly impressed.

I also hope non of you get fat when you grow up!! The ridicule you'll have to endure on public forums would be tremendous!!

Machida says Seagal helped him perfect that kick so what's not to believe. I've also seen Seagal work with Anderson Silva.

I don't think many people here have had an opportunity to advise any pro MMA fighters.

-
I agree... From what I've seen in his videos, "Path Beyond Thought"...etc, his Aikido looks very Martial and effective. I've also spoken to a few people that have visited and trained with some of his students. Their thoughts are the same...very effective and martial aikido being practiced.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #57
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Matt Morris wrote: View Post
Stop making me laugh. But so true.

He should come to NZ and tyr and do a "lawman" series the cops here would say "sure, even bring your camera, but shed a few kilos first...no fatties allowed."
I don't know about that, I've seen some pretty tubby cops.

Anyway, I've never understood why his weight is such a commonly mentioned issue when it's not even mentioned for most of the many portly instructors out there - and there are quite a few!

Best,

Chris

Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #58
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

I've taken Ukemi from him and he is 6"6' and about 260/270. You can imagine the result.

William Hazen
Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #59
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England

Quote:
Stelios Papadakis wrote: View Post
IMHO, letting aside the accomplishments in his cinema/singing/tv career, a lot of people came to know Aikido through this guy...
Which is (probably) a good thing at the end of the day...
I`m one of those, ive studied traditional aikido for 15 years and had it not been for this gentleman, I may never of known about Aikido, One day I would like to thank him for that. Onegaishimasu
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #60
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Check out the facekick at 1:28...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWfY...e_gdata_player
Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #61
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
I've taken Ukemi from him and he is 6"6' and about 260/270. You can imagine the result.

William Hazen
Dear Mr Hazen,
Gentle was it? Cheers, Joe
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #62
Richard Stevens
United_States

Quote:
Barry Johnston wrote: View Post
I agree... From what I've seen in his videos, "Path Beyond Thought"...etc, his Aikido looks very Martial and effective. I've also spoken to a few people that have visited and trained with some of his students. Their thoughts are the same...very effective and martial aikido being practiced.
As an Aikikai Shihan I would tend to think that anyone that argues that Seagal couldn't benefit an MMA fighter as a coach would simply be ignorant of what Aikido has to offer.

What I'm very interested in seeing is how this all pans out. Are we going to start seeing Machida and Silva utilizing more Aikido-esque footwork/movement?

Silva will be fighting Yushin Okami in Rio and from what I've been reading Machida may be fighting Jon Jones later this year. So we'll have an opportunity to see if Seagal is able to impart any more knowledge.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #63
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

"When we, as first generation American aikidoists, saw Stevan Segal's first movie we were excited beyond belief. For all you can say about him, no one else brought the image of O'Sensei on to the big screen. It was amazing for us to sit in a theater, thousands of miles from Japan, and see the image of our master and aikido on the screen, larger than life. It was incredible! For that, I'll always thank Steven Segal."
-Bob Frager Sensei to me in 1992.
My perspective, too. Hats off, Mr. Segal!
Domo Arigtao Gozaimashita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6_H1mj5H4

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
Dear Mr. Seagal,
Thankyou for again bringing more students to the dojo. It seems like only yesterday that you were releasing cinema blockbusters that brought a veritable flood of students to our dojos. But the last few years in between have been a bit quiet. The widening of the genre to feature native american values, environmental issues, just guns or perhaps only a single technique was perhaps missed by the mainstream population. So we welcomed Lawman in eager anticipation and held firm in the belief that there would something special coming soon. Domo arigato

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 05-29-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add a link....

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems