Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #26
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: What is an "advanced technique?"

Mary,

I don't speak Japanese at all. But my understanding of what kata gatame actually means basically would be accurate for the judo or aikido version of the technique.

I can't think of the terminology right now, but there's at least two techniques that I've encountered in different styles (of martial arts, not just aikido), that are completely different, have the same name, and whose translation makes sense for both. I like to train with all sorts wen I travel and I am just trying to get a grasp on how people do things differently so I can 'fit in' better at dojo I visit, do things their way (very difficult and rewarding to un-program from what you are used to), and understand what the heck they are talking about!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #27
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

i thought advanced technique is when you throw ki balls at folks which make them wearing funny clothes and speaking bad Japanese.

an even more advanced technique would be getting folks to do the hokey-pokey while wearing funny clothes and saying "osu".

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I almost totally agree with the original blog's premise and conclusion, nothing magical, i.e. "advanced" is going on, it's just the basic simple thing done at such a high level that it seems like magic -- and thus, as magic, either unattainable or something "special" that must be taught "special."

My only caveat, or difference of opinion, is that I would say that there is a difference between simple and complex techniques, just like there are simple and complex machines. A complex machine can be viewed as a series, or probably more appropriately a 3-dimensional pattern of simple machines, if you follow me.

The same can be said for techniques used in martial arts (our own aikido by brand, or judo, jujitsu, whatever), there are very straightforward techniques, which may be simple, but not easy. And there are complex ones.

But... advanced? Well, in the sense that it might take a long time to learn how do do them "right," so because of that long time, the person has advanced through the ranks (thus, advanced rank people - just nomenclature), then, in that light, maybe their techniques are "advanced."

I'm sure folks are more confused now than when I started, so I'll stop.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #29
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I slightly disagree, I do know of "advanced techniques", though a more accurate naming would be "techniques for advanced practitioners": techniques which are actually simpler in nature yet require more accurate timing, better sense of harmony, better control over self, smoother movement etc. in order to succeed with slightly less cooperating partner.

Also know of variants of techniques which are being taught to beginners despite having "inherent weakness"/"holes", but are more safe for practice than the slightly modified "advanced form".

No great secrets here, very simple stuff.

Own experience has shown beginners often find the more complex / multi-stages techniques easier to implemnet, while single touch techniques are more difficult for them.