Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
udoka1
systema?

hello all just wondering if anyone here has ever trained in systema? I have been training in aikido now for almost 2 years and have been fortunate enough to train in what some might call a small dojo. anyway my sensei is friends with a systema instructor and had him come in one night just to get a little taste of it cuz the guys from up north and not in the south to often. i found it to be alot like aikido, some of the exercises/drills they do are really very helpful in moving with your center. anybody else had the chance to study this art? i would do more of it but no systema instructors around here i dont think...oh, and they have amazing ukemi ability as well... thanx for reading..
Old 05-15-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Hey Geoff,

Check out this thread. Someone posted links to some systema video clips.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-16-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
Paul Klembeck
1. There are several threads on systema on the Aikido Journal web site, which you may want to check out.

2. I have never trained in systema, but in about 10 hours I'm off to Toronto for three days with Vladimir Vasiliev and Mikhail Ryabko. I'll let you know what I think on Tuesday.

Paul
Old 05-16-2003, 03:19 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Look for Brian King

Quote:
Paul Klembeck wrote:
1. There are several threads on systema on the Aikido Journal web site, which you may want to check out.

2. I have never trained in systema, but in about 10 hours I'm off to Toronto for three days with Vladimir Vasiliev and Mikhail Ryabko. I'll let you know what I think on Tuesday.

Paul
Look for Brian King while you are there. He is one of my Defensive Tactics students and runs a Systema Study group at our school. He's up there for a week or two training.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think they have some interesting training methods - I like the idea of the slow work. I noticed they are much more able to integrate strikes into the techniques and be more fluid in interchangeability between techniques due to this practise.

Discussion posts on systema:

http://russianmartialart.org/forum/phpBB2/

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 05-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
P.S. geoff - can you describe any of the drills you found particularly useful?

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 05-16-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
udoka1
i can try...... one of the drills we did involved uke pushing on any part of your body and blending with it. example; uke pushes through your right shoulder you move back and to the left/ uke pushes left hip you move to the right in a tenkan like fashion and you just keep repeating. it takes you all over the mat you also have to be aware of the other people moving around you as not to directly collide with them. we also did a really neat breathing exercise that makes you aware of every part of you body. example; lay down on your back hands out to your sides/inhale ki breathing style and tense up only the left side of your body as you exhale release tension and gradually increse tension on only the right side of your body like a wave the completely release and do it again. we repeated this for about 3-5 minutes or so. another exercise was basically just a freestyle but done fairly slowly, uke reaches out to grab/punch or whatever to any part of the body he chooses and you basically just figure out ways to return his energy but your not actually doing a technique just returning the energy like a half technique i guess? any way that one is a little hard to explain, but there were a few others but they are a little difficult to explain, you would just have to experience them. oh, another thing i thought was very cool is they have an entire catologue of techniques to protect someone else from harm like a bodygaurd i guess we did one of em, pretty simple really, the instructor did mention that those do get alot more brutal but you know...it was just our first time. hope that explains things a little.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
udoka1
oh and in all of the standing exercises the instructor stressed over and over to move with your center so that just adds to the aikiness of it all. very cool stuff i thought..
Old 05-16-2003, 03:03 PM   #9
E.J. Nella
Dojo: Canyon Aikido Club, Aikido of San Leandro & Aikido of Berkeley
If you happen to be in the San Francisco Bay Area on July 12th, and are interested in taking a seminar:

www.fightingsystems.us

I have been to this clinic before and great care is taken for authenticity and safety. I find that any Martial Art or Self Defense system has something to offer. Be it techniques to use or to be careful of if used against me.

I notice that the instructor isn't mentioned on the page. His name is John Castro and although he is not a "certified" instructor in SAMBO or Systema, he has been authorized to instruct this class by one of their main organizations. I would recommend contacting him for any questions.

Pleasant Hill is around 25 miles east of San Francisco.

E.J.