Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Pictures from my 7th Kyu test (14 Images)

Bit small, and low in quality, and in no particular order, but.. Ta-da

Old 07-04-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
Daniel Mills

-Daniel.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao
Nice! keep it up
Old 07-05-2003, 01:48 AM   #4
adrian
You do Kotegaeshi for 7th kyu ?

Could you post the requirenments at your Dojo ?
Old 07-05-2003, 06:38 AM   #5
Daniel Mills

Kyri, I fully intend to!

Adrian, Indeed we do. 7th Kyu is the first senior grade, and does include Munetsuki Kotegaishi. 7th Kyu written down is really quite basic, but it is the first rank so it doesn't need to be anything special (although I'm still as proud as punch, it must be said.)

7th Kyu is as follows; Demonstration of rolls (FL, FR, BL, BR, Both sides w/ step, FintoB) and then the following techniques performed both sides; Katata Kosa Tori Kokyunage, Katata Tori Tenkan Kokyunage, Kata Tori Ikkyo, Shomenuchi Kokyunage, Munetsuki Kotegaishi, Kokyu Dosa. And that's it

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
seventh kyu test

Daniel, thanks for posting your pictures...it was almost like being there.

Great job!

Mary Eastland

Berkshire Hills Aikido
Old 07-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
suebailey
England
hey nice one chuck the pictures are fab u should be proud of yourself keep it up weldone.

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Hey Daniel,

What style are you pracitcing. From the names of the techniques and the colored belts, I was thinking maybe Ki Society, but I wasn't sure.

Good job, though. Thanks for the pics.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-05-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Ki Symbol

Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
Hey Daniel,

What style are you pracitcing. From the names of the techniques and the colored belts, I was thinking maybe Ki Society, but I wasn't sure.

Good job, though. Thanks for the pics.
Interesting, the names are generally similar to what the Ki Society uses, but some of what's done (like the first picture is very different).

Ki Society doesn't in general use color belts other than brown except for some notable exceptions like the Maui dojo. .

His club is part of a local British organization that draws on the experience with various Japanese teachers during the 60's and 70's from what it says here.

http://www.shingitai.co.uk/history.htm

Another part of the complicated histoy of Aikido in England. Seems every bit as complicated as it is in the US.

Craig
Old 07-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Daniel Mills

Hi there

It is Ki Aikido (although not officially Ki Society, I think.) mostly, but we're open to other styles too. For instance, we have a Tomiki-style yudansha visiting us tommorrow for a one-day weapons course. I expect bruises

But yes, mostly it's Tohei's lead we follow

The first picture was a Kokyunage, variants are introduced as experience progresses, such as the one where the arm is pushed backwards, etc. The first variation we learn just happens to be of the crack-a-neck variety

To my knowledge we're not officially a Shin Gi Tai club, just more affiliated closely with Jones-Sensei. He's visiting us on the 3rd August as it happens to instruct another one-day course, which I confess I am quite looking forward to! S'not every day you get the opportunity to train with, and be taught by, a 7th Dan

Just captured some more images, so I'll post those in a short while. I hope people don't mind me bombarding them with stills, I know I usually enjoy seeing pictures of other board members 'real life' Aikido

Thanks Mary and Sue for the kind comments!

Best,

-Daniel.

Last edited by Daniel Mills : 07-05-2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 PM   #11
Daniel Mills

Craig, here is that first technique in a bit more detail, for you to see how it differs from your style?

Katate Kosa Tori Kokyunage;

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:15 PM   #12
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao
hey daniel, nice pictures.Like when I'm gonna do my nikyu test I'd like to have photo's like yours, they are almost taken frame per frame.What kinda equipment do u use.Or is the test in slow motion
Old 07-06-2003, 03:24 AM   #13
Daniel Mills

Hi Kyri, nothing quite as fancy I'm afraid. A guy from the dojo (who is out at the moment, with a busted ankle.) brought along his amateur camera gear. I managed to get a mpeg movie copy of my testing, and got all the pictures by simply pausing the video in places I thought looked good, then screenshotted them

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:12 AM   #14
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Daniel Mills wrote:
For instance, we have a Tomiki-style yudansha visiting us tommorrow for a one-day weapons course. I expect bruises
Who's that then?

Sean

x
Old 07-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #15
Daniel Mills

Apparently my information was a little incorrect, he had studied in Tomiki awhile, but had decided it wasn't the style for him. The CUA is Aikikai.

The visiting yudansha were a group from the CUA up in Tyne & Wear, led by Sensei Jon Stokoe (Godan.)

I received some very encouraging words from Sensei Stokoe, which I won't share, but suffice to say, I'm in a very positive mood this afternoon. The course was superb fun, and a truly excellent learning experience.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #16
jxa127
Daniel,

Great stuff! Your posture looks very upright and the animation shows your technique to be crisp. Great job.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 07-07-2003, 08:39 AM   #17
Harry Nguyen
Dojo: Austin Aikido Club
Good job Daniel. In my dojo, we include Shihonage in Kyu 7. And actually I think it's a little bit difficult for Kyu 7. The second set of your pictures we call "iriminage". It's quite surprise me that they require you to do kokyu nager with tenkan at kyu 7 level. But it seems you did good job. Keep it up.

Austin Aikido
Old 07-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #18
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Daniel Mills wrote:
Craig, here is that first technique in a bit more detail, for you to see how it differs from your style?

Katate Kosa Tori Kokyunage;

Best,

-Daniel.
nice sequence, Daniel.

Yes, it's different. We enter deeper and don't turn as much (but that could just be mistakes on your part compared to what your teacher does for all I know). More importantly, we throw with the down beat and not the up beat. That's the hallmark of ki-aikido style for at least the past 20 years. Tohei Sensei keeps evolving and changing. The Ki Society version would be throwing uke between frame 4 and frame 5 of your picture sequence. Your finish looks much more like what the Aikikai refer to as irminage where the arm goes up over the shoulder (though they generally also step through). However, what you are doing isn't too different from what beginners in Ki Society often do because the timing of the downbeat is a difficult skill and once you miss it all that is left is to enter and throw them back with the upbeat. So again, I could be just seeing what your teacher is happy to get you to do at 7th kyu and you have much to learn still.

I couldn't find a decent pic to illustrate this but

check these out...

in the jo technique where the uke's legs going flying out from under them is much like the basic kokyunage we do with katatekosatori.

http://www.kiaikidocolorado.org/pictures.html
Old 07-10-2003, 07:59 AM   #19
Ian Heap
Cool Niceone Welldone Daniel

Well done Daniel. can you tell me if you have tried any other lcubs around the area? I used to train at an aikijujutsu class, ut haven't been for a while, I got my 6th Kyu. The first grading is always nerve wracking especially if u have to do a demo, looks like you did one. Kote Gaesh is a good one to get to "grips"with, NO Pun intended.

The first lot of pics does look to be Kokyu Nage,(which I think is Breath throw) although I could be wrong. Not practised in about a year!BUT intend to go back to it. Keep up the interest, and also if you get chance have a look at other styles, always good to see how other forms do "the same thing".
Old 07-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #20
Daniel Mills

HI Ian

I've only trained at the KAA in Chadderton-ish under Sensei Jim Robinson (4th Dan), after getting entangled in Aikido's intricate web, via giving lifts to friends of mine!

The first grading was hellishly nervewracking, not due to concern over technique and all, but down to the whole formality, and then having to stand up in front of the rest of the class, and perform the series of rolls and whatnot. The techniques flashed by and I honestly can't remember doing them

I'm glad someone can see the Kokyu Nage (which is breath throw ) in the pictures, I mentioned it to Sensei last night, and his thoughts were that Craig's version was a purer 'Ki' style, whereas the form I'd been taught, although still taken from Tohei's lead, was a more (dare I use the word.. dare I...) effective waza. It's not that it wasn't a Kokyunage, it was just.. a different Kokyunage

I couldn't agree more with the thought regarding other styles, and it is something I intend to look further into, and something that my teacher actively professes.

I'll spare you the sales schpiel, but for a simple hello. But if you are looking to get back into things; We're based at Osbourne Mill, near Wickes in Chadderton, relatively small dojo, but as friendly as you'll find. We have a course on August 3rd held by Shihan Gwynne Jones (7th Dan Shin-Gi-Tai) at our dojo running from 11am-4pm (I presume/think) should you wish to come along

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:49 AM   #21
Ian Heap
Tongue ShichiKyu

Hi Daniel,

Nice to hear that you got involved with the Aikido after being the preverbial TAXI. The style I do Is Aiki Jujutsu, the school is Kaze Arashi Ryu. Although it has been AGES since I last trained I still try to keep up to date from their web site. Don't Know if I can post their Web address, but here goes http://www.rossendale-kazearashiryu.org.uk/ Have a look at it.

It has a history section which is very informative. The Classes are pretty, if not, VERY good. I originally went a hunting for an AIKIDO club, but couldn't find one close to home, I think I saw your club, but it is about 20 mins drive away, and at the time I was having long days at work. So I thought I'd check out the local Aikijujutsu class. I was really impressed, not just with the overall friendliness of the people, especially the senseis, but also how powerfull the techniques are. Saying this, the techniques are always applied carefully, I think a forum on this site mentioned the trust issue between tori and uke, and I firmly believe that Kaze Arashi Ryu have got it sussed. Which goes to show that the place is ran properly. ANYWAY, enough of me on my soap box, if you get chance check out the site. Take care, and keep at it. Ian
Old 07-11-2003, 03:34 AM   #22
Daniel Mills

Ian, you should not put ideas into my head as Tuesday and Thursdays are my free days

Just having a quick glance at the site, and was excited to see a seminar, and then disappointed to find it was in London..!

I may pop up sometime to try some Aiki-Ju-Jutsu, when I have a few £'s to try something new.

Once I've training for a year or so in Aikido, I was planning on perhaps a little Iaido, there is a club over in Middleton I do believe. As I have a few friends from the Aikido dojo that are interested in swordsmanship and whatnot. But I'm open to all possibilities. I'll definitely try to sneak in a class of AJJ somewhere, now you've brought it to my attention

Best,

-Daniel.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:05 AM   #23
Ian Heap
Hi Daniel,

how have you been. Just a quick check in! How is your aikido doing? I went back to the aiki class the other week, and it was great to be there. Once again though problems outside of the dojo have stopped me going, time being taken up by other things. although imanaged two sessions! All very good. But I felt really in flexible! goes to show how much out of shape you get.

Keep in touch