Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
aiki-jujutsuka

the sphere of motion

Not sure whether this should go in this forum or in the techniques forum but one of my instructors, the head sensei of my wednesday dojo, has been teaching me just recently on the importance of motion. Now this struck me as being related to the more aiki part of our art as he explained about keeping a person off posture through constant motion. Now our two arts look quite different in practice at times and there is an emphasis within AJJ on small circles.The specific techniques that have been used as examples are kote gaeshi, shodan, nidan and yondan. So I wondered, in Aikido does the sphere of motion get smaller the more advanced you become? In other words when dealing with circular motion how large are the circles created and what is the reasoning behind applying techniques in this way?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: the sphere of motion

Anecdotally... Kawahara shihan used to have almost no movement visible at times and people would fly. The time he biffed me about I think the movements were pretty small but it all happened so fast. He would instruct at other times to make a BIG circular motion. Others have remarked that the movements get smaller as you get better - I haven't found that, personally, but then perhaps I'm not getting "better"...
W
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote: View Post
Not sure whether this should go in this forum or in the techniques forum but one of my instructors, the head sensei of my wednesday dojo, has been teaching me just recently on the importance of motion. Now this struck me as being related to the more aiki part of our art as he explained about keeping a person off posture through constant motion. Now our two arts look quite different in practice at times and there is an emphasis within AJJ on small circles.The specific techniques that have been used as examples are kote gaeshi, shodan, nidan and yondan. So I wondered, in Aikido does the sphere of motion get smaller the more advanced you become? In other words when dealing with circular motion how large are the circles created and what is the reasoning behind applying techniques in this way?
Dear Ewen,
There is a time /place and situations where both types of motion are acceptable.Its a question of the relationship between uke /tori.It may well be that you ned to exercise a small movement eg ai hamni nikkyo. In others movemenys like kata dori shomenuchi the tai sabaki may well be larger.So I do not say that one method is superior to the other.Large /small circularity motion is acceptable. Joe.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
robin_jet_alt
Australia

My teacher explained it as being like learning to write. Start of with big exaggerated shapes, and work your way smaller until you can write like an adult. Eventually, you even get to learn cursive. So, yes. I would say that things ought to get smaller as you get better. I'm sure there are exceptions, depending on the circumstances as Joe said though.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
aiki-jujutsuka

Thank you for your responses. I like the analogy of learning to write. I have been learning this principle through the Shodan kata just recently. For example in Ude Osae Dori http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDwAPgzeSiM when I first began training, I was taking uke's arm in a high semi circle over my head before taking them to the ground and pinning them. Now, as Hobbs Sensei demonstrates here I apply my bodyweight, while cutting through the wrist causing pain and uke's compliance before taking the arm over and pinning them. I am constantly learning this principle of posture and bodyweight to applying an effective technique, especially when it comes to spherical or circular motion.