Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
John Carey
Dojo: The Aikido Center, Sacramento
United_States
Knee health and Aikido

Hi, I just wanted to bounce off another thread in this column about the knee replacement surgery. I have been practicing Aikido now for about 5 months, and I absolutely love it. However, I am having some issues with my knees. For one, during the day I can't really stand stiff legged, or my knees will "lock up" and become painful. They also have a 'loose' feeling to them, where if I rotate my knees around it feels as if they are shifting and sometimes respond with a pop. Some of the people in my Dojo also have to wear knee supports or pads while practicing. So the question it brings to mind, is if Aikido is healthy for the knees over the long haul? I am relatively new, but I don't see myself leaving Aikido for a long time, if ever. There is just too much positive to think otherwise. How do you take care of your knees? What is your overall impression of knee/joint health in Aikido practitioners?

Thanks for your response ;]

btw, Seiza has reshaped my habit of sitting cross legged. Now, sitting any other way but Seiza feels like the back is out of line, and breathing is more labored. Thanks Aikido!
Old 02-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States
Re: Knee health and Aikido

Popping when you twist your knees is normal, but I wouldn't do it habitually. The lateral stability of the joint is what's really important - if you're unsure of it, have your doctor check it out for you. Over the long run, Aikido will strengthen your knees and other joints, if you don't abuse them, but getting there you may experience a parade of sore body parts. I went through sore wrists, shoulders, knees, back, hips, ankles, etc. - each took its turn. It was like a chain reaction - when one would recover, the next would take its place as the weak link. That's the message your body is sending you. "Make this part stronger!"
Back to knees. I wear knee pads so both my knees and my gi pants will last longer. Every one has their favorite kind, but I have tried many and have done lots of research, so I'll recommend these:

Anyone I know who uses Trace knee pads (including myself) raves about them being second to none. Check them out at:
http://www.softball.com/softball/pro...roductDesc=100

but they can be had much cheaper at:
http://batterschoice.com/product_inf...roducts_id=780

Note: They are sold individually, so you must order two to get a pair.

Just one more VERY important piece of knee advice - KEEP THEM POINTING THE SAME DIRECTION AS YOUR TOES! If you bend them to the inside of your toes, you risk serious injury.

Last edited by DevinHammer : 02-19-2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: link error
Old 02-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

I don't know how old you are or what your previous athletic history has been, however, every symptom you describe is a symptom of a meniscus tear. I have had all these symptoms and after slogging through the medical system and useless quad strengthening exercises, finally got someone to give me an mri and low and behold, there was a tear. Looking at arthroscopic surgery and about a three week recovery.

Bottom line is if it is bothersome and/or painful, get an MRI. Read by a competent radiologist, pictures won't lie.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

Over the counter knee pads might feel good, but offer little or no increase in support. Only those fancy braces with and external framework do that, and they are prescribed for rehab by orthopedic surgeons.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
John Carey
Dojo: The Aikido Center, Sacramento
United_States

Well Don I am 22 years old and I dont have an previous injuries to my knees. I used to weigh 265lbs however, before dropping down to a healthy 180. So I think growing up my knees were under a lot of pressure. Thanks for the warning though, I will pay close attention to what happens to my joints. I was experiencing a lot of discomfort after a 3 day seminar and week of hard training, but that is subsiding and it feels like they are healing, so it is probably just a temporary condition. Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

I agree that locking up and making noise can be symptoms of torn meniscus and worth evaluating before further damage occurs.
Good aikido is not inherently dangerous. However.....Many "warmups" are not good body mechanics. Sometimes beginners will torque their knees during moving around the mat and the instructor won't see it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-21-2005, 12:59 AM   #7
AmyGilgan
Dojo: Suginami Aikikai
United_States

What steps can one take to avoid knee injuries during practice?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Ensure you do irimi-tenkan without lateral twisting of the knee:-

I used to get knee pain, and this was in part due to the back foot swinging round too much in relation to the front foot, thus twisting the front knee. The heel of your front foot should point to the heel of your back foot - if your back foot goes past this it is likely you are twisting your knee.

Even if you've been doing irimi-tenkan for years, practise it again, really slowly: step forward and twist your foot towards you before placing it down. Your HIPS (which are ball and socket joints, unlike your knees) should be stretched by this movement. Then turn your hips and step back, ensuring that you don't step further behind than the heel of your (now) front foot. It will seem difficult at first, but you will save yourself alot of overstretching of the knee in the future, and it will also open up your hip joints considerably.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

PS I feel that aikido has this relationship with knee injuries because we keep our weight forwards, on the bent knee, and turn alot. Thus we sometimes twist a heavily weighted knee. Instead the knee should be properly aligned by stepping correctly. Some people think the damage is through suwari waza - I've never noticed that problem myself, but also I've never done suwari waza on a hard floor or tatami mats!

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 02-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
Jeffrey A. Fong
Dojo: Aikido Tacoma
United_States

Some things to consider:
1) use good technique - be gentle and precise in your movement; 2) lose weight; 3) increase flexibility to help that patella track right (stretch!); 4) strengthen the relevant muscle groups to ensure stability of joint; 5) be aware of your body's limitations (age, "wear and tear" resulting from hard use and genetics; our bodies have different tolerances based upon the genetic "gifts" our parents bestowed upon us, plus, you didn't think all those years of climbing and trail running didn't come without a price tag, did you?); 6) and lastly, no armchair diagnoses. Go see a qualified sports orthopaedist and do your physical therapy!