Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Smile Getting together for Charity!

Hi All.
Just to invite anyone who is in or around the North East of England on Saturday May 20th 06. I'm organising the Sixth Sunderland Festival of Martial Arts to raise Funds For Cancer Research uk.
the event is from 10:30am till 4:00pm at The Seaburn Centre (on the coast), (Tickets £4 adult, £2:50p u14/concessions - all proceeds to CRuk) and includes demonstrations by both local and national martial arts groups. All participants give their time and expertise freely to raise awareness and funds for CRuk and also to get together with other martial artists to foster friendship, exchange ideas, and have a great time. The standard is extremely high with very senior practitioners taking part along with their students. (Ages of participants are from 7 to 86 years old). This year we have Aikijitsu, Jujitsu, Lion Dancers/Kung Fu/Weapons, Karate (Shotokan & Wado Ryu), Muay Thai, Kenjutsu, Gung Fu, Tae Kwondo, Directional Fighting Methods (a synthesis of various arts which concentrate on the 8 angles of attack/defence) and of course Aikido - and more.
Over the years we have had authentic Chinese masters, celebrities from 'Fight School' and many other senior grades in a wide variety of arts.
The event is proving to be a popular annual event (last year we raised over £2600 for the charity) and everyone had a very enjoyable and entertaining day out.
My hope is to encourage initially all martial arts groups/clubs in the country to emulate the event - do a sponsored event or whatever to raise funds for CRuk - the potential is enormous (and it also does the Martial Arts a lot of good too). So if you are interested in putting something on in your area, contact you local Cancer Research Office and 'just do it'. (If you want you can tell them to contact the Newcastle upon Tyne office and they will put you in touch with me and I can give you info/advice etc.

Remember: Learn - Earn - Return.

Lets all put something back (Return) for the fun and pleasure our arts have given us.
Cheers
Pete
Old 03-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Getting together for Charity!

This is a very worthwhile cause guys an gals, would be nice to see some folks come up for the day and join in/train/swap ideas etc etc. I should be there, but in what capacity I have yet to decide (general dogsbody/Human sacrifice seems to be the norm )

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

I just wanted to let you guys know that over here in canada (forget that my flag says canary island) you see we are involed in a walk for llife. We get a team together of ten and take turns walking. But when we are not walking we will put on a aikido demonstration and taekwondo. We hope to raise 20 thousand dollars for the charities in our own towns and comunity. Remember poverty is every where and it is our duty as people to do the best we can to fight poverty.
Have a good day
Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Sorry guys that is supposed to say 2500 dollars
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Good stuff. Shame its a little too far away to come and participate with.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
neb1979
Australia

It sounds like a really good day. Wish I was over there to come along.

Ben
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Peter Seth
England

Hi all.
We also have a similar walk (relay) for life and a race for life over here - all good stuff!
To all respondants who wish they could come and see, - why not set your own event up for a worthy cause - just a few people at first will do - it will catch on and grow believe me.
Nick you will be all that and more - need a demo from U.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

You know that is a good idea pete. I think that it should be mandatory for any organized martail art to set up some kind of a charity avent. Plus it also gives people a chance to see what they have been missing in there lives.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
Peter Seth
England

Yup, Spot on justin. Its a 'win - win' situation all round, Just needs a bit of motivation and organisation.
R U listening out there - fingers out people! Lets do something really positive.
Pete
Old 03-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

I think nick's demo should be entitled 'how to use a katana and not get cut for a change' sorry bud, it had to be said.

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 AM   #11
Peter Seth
England

hi steve.
That's a very 'cutting' remark, but straight to the point and very sharp
Old 03-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #12
Steve Mullen
England

(said whilst clutching his head) please make the bad man stop

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

hey guys ...as a nurse im loving you all for that! ,.,... definatly a VERY worthwhile cause ... if I could be there in my professional capacity .... (well ..some one has to sew nicks body parts back togther!) i really would! ... so BIG WHOOOOO HOOOOOO to all you wonderful fundraisers! xxx

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Its too bad that we all cant get together. I know that is unlikely, but charity work is always a good thing. I will take pictures of our event and post them here so you guys can see how we made out.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
Peter Seth
England

Hi Justin.
We have some random video clips of the aikido section in last years charity event on our website if you want a look.
www.angelfire.com/ma4/zanshin/
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 AM   #16
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Quote:
'how to use a katana and not get cut for a change'
Quote:
That's a very 'cutting' remark, but straight to the point and very sharp
Oh how we laughed. Hang on...

Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #17
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
This is a very worthwhile cause guys an gals, would be nice to see some folks come up for the day and join in/train/swap ideas etc etc. I should be there, but in what capacity I have yet to decide (general dogsbody/Human sacrifice seems to be the norm )
lol mate if i was allowed to come i would but my jailer wont let me play just think being thrown about by you sir would be an honour and for a good cause well what could be better p.s wheres the nearest A&E

Last edited by merlynn : 03-27-2006 at 02:53 AM.

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 03-27-2006, 03:11 AM   #18
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Ah well, next year maybes. A & E is about a couple of miles away. Their very nice people and good at putting me back together

Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #19
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Ah well, next year maybes. A & E is about a couple of miles away. Their very nice people and good at putting me back together
oh good so the ambulance wont have far to come and get me

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #20
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

have you advertised this on kendo-world forums? theres quite a few people from the north east and yorkshire there who may be interested?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
akiy

Hi folks,

Here's a nice article on the festival featuring the original poster and organizer of the event, Peter Seth:

http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/Vie...icleID=1508322

I hope the festival went well, Peter.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #22
Peter Seth
England

Sorry its taken so long to reply - v busy. Thanks Jun - great success thanks, raised over £3000 everyone had a great time - raised loads of interest in martial arts & Cancer Research uk. Some spectacular demonstrations - amazing the quality, dedication, passion and committment to all the arts - many thanks to everyone involved and who came along to watch and support the event. Most of all to the Sensei who give so much of their time, knowledge, skill and experience to help develop a solid base for the arts to carry on into the future.
Thanks
Peter
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #23
Steve Mullen
England

Hello Mr Seth, lonr time no see, how goes things? I think you should issue and open challenge now to all MA aikido insturctors on Aikiweb to organise thier own MAF for 2007, and to tell thier friends. Im already thinking about what i can do for my few moments of fame. Hows about we get local T.V involved in it too? I think we talked about it last year but it never really came to fruitition. Im grading on Saturday and then taking a few weeks off from everything to let my knee heal up good and proper, but then i may start coming to a feww thursday classes when time permits.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:13 AM   #24
Peter Seth
England

Hi Steve.
Tried all of the above - people think its a great idea, But? Its just going that little step further and actually doing something about it. Tv came down a couple of times filmed a 'filler' but filled it with something else more topical. (Maybe we should organise a naked demonstration of martial arts - bet they would broadcast that)!! Shame, because you dont often get win/win situations in this life where everyones a winner. Still trying - pushing it out there - irons in fires etc. Got some v interesting arts for nxt year. Got a cd of day if you want copy - quality not brill but watchable.
Good luck for grading, look after nick when yous are celebrating - make him wear his BB & Hak for the night - no make up - will clash with his new glasses.
Cheers
Pete