Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
CollinHall
Dojo: Aikido Of Cenrtral New York
United_States
Confused shomenuchi

i was having trouble reacting to the shomenuchi attack... but i have come to find that when i accept the attack i then sort of pull on the opponents arm a little bit to throw him off balance more... i find it works for me... is this wrong for the technique???
Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: shomenuchi

Wrong? Well, "pulling on the arm" is not very effective, because it gives your partner something very easy to work against.
But as an overall approach, there is nothing wrong with the timing and body movement you describe: if you are late for an entering response to shomenuchi, or the attacker's energy is greater than you can enter on, then it is appropriate to do a blend that allows the attacker's cut to come all the way down.
The thing is, it's best to be able to train with both approaches (and your instructor will no doubt want you to!). If you have trouble with the timing, it's ok to ask your partner to slow down his shomenuchi. Just focus on matching his footwork and attack: as he moves and his arm raises, you move and your arm raises. Like a mirror at first, then as it gets more natural, like a vaccuum sucking you in as he raises up. Maybe somebody can work with you after class just on this part of it?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
CollinHall
United_States

well thats sound like a good plan... lord knows i need extra help....
Old 02-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

heheheh....I feel your pain!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

I take a different tack. My primary mode is to initiate shomenuchi. If I let my partner initiate and get a late start, I do not try to stay with omote, but swap to ura or do something else. I do not try to go against their energy.

YMMV,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Collin,

I recently wrote an article on this for our dojo. I am hesitant to recommend it - because it is pretty long. Most folks, I would imagine, would rather not read something so long. However, perhaps, just in case, you might find it an aid of sorts in your own thought processes and reflections - here's the link:

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/w...uchiikkyo.html

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Hey Collin,

I would personally be careful with any pulling (as Janet also said). However the idea of having uke move forward to lose their balance a bit more certainly works. I would just suggest you have them do it to themselves (or you guide them into it) rather than pull them.

Two things I play with when receiving a shomenuchi strike are:

1. Move in and block the strike before it gains power. From their you can move either to the side or back (without pulling) and change uke's direction of strength/power since uke should be feeling their balance go into their back foot.

2. Move in and really pretend to block so that uke starts to think about hitting your blocking hands and then back off so their strike goes past where they thought they were going to hit. Then block them their. Here it's easy to pivot or move back since uke is leaning forward about to fall on his face :-)

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 02-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
CollinHall
United_States
Confused Re: shomenuchi

well heres what i tried in class the other day... when i recieved the shomanuchi attack i stepped back and to the side like... and i guided their arm with my movements.. i guided them a little towards me and what i found was that i wasnt pulling them they were just of balance and just sorta stumbled foward..... so i really wasnt pulling them myself ha ha funny how that i never noticed i thought i was yanking them.....
Old 02-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

For shomenuchi ikkajo osae ni (ura) I've been taught to take uke's balance upward...meet the attack, take their balance upward, then pivot and body change. Generally, I'm taught not to pull...pushing seems much more powerfull...leading and pushing even better...leading only the best (if I can do it...).

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Solution: Awase practice. Ask your instructor about it.

Rock
Old 02-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
Goetz Taubert

Hi Collin,
your kind of handling shomen-attack sounds good. To my point of view, you are describing is not the "common" omote vs. ura-approach.

We practice a similar one, where you stay in line with the shomen attack but where you step straight backwards (right hand attack, backwards with the right foot) but you don't turn (180 degree) until uke is destabilized and quite low before you. The important thing is to point forward, both arms extended, to make contact very ligthely (no gripping intended) and just let your arms directly drop down or a little bit in direction to your hips. It depends a bit on the attacking energy of uke (the more passive, the more dropping of the arms right down in a quite extended manner).
In the beginning it is easier, if uke attacks with a more direct shomenuchi just extending his arm in direction to the breast/face of tori.
Maybe you like to try.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!