Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden
Keikogi

I've found myself walking home from practice directly afterwards without changing to my regular clothes.

How many here takes a walk back home / to practice in their keikogi?

//Erik

Just give me your wrist!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Keikogi

When I was in college I did.

Seems to be a Lightning Rod though. At least in the States. Come to think of it, in Nairobi too...nah, I don't see the point. To easy to change.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Takahama
Dojo: Osaka Aikikai Hombu
Japan

Quote:
Erik Jögimar wrote: View Post
I've found myself walking home from practice directly afterwards without changing to my regular clothes.

How many here takes a walk back home / to practice in their keikogi?

//Erik
Yep. I had an apartment so close to the dojo that it was just a simple matter of crossing the road every morning.

I enjoyed that for nine years but last year I moved away a bit and it's now a 30 minute motorbike commute. I haven't tried that with just the dogi on. Yet.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

In my opinion, walking around in a keikogi is not a good idea. In the worst case scenario, it could be seen as a challenge by some people, and could lead to an un-needed confrontation. In the best case scenario, you look like a guy walking around in a silly set of sweaty workout clothes.

I always change before and after practice.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

If I lived next door to the dojo, I might quickly dash home in a gi, but otherwise I don't think I would.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I change at the dojo. Technically though, I walk outside from the changing room to the dojo itself as only sensei and sempais are allowed to use the door from inside to get to the dojo. The rest of us walk around to the front of the building.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Rob Watson
United_States

At the first dojo I trained there was changing rooms and showers so changing was the order of the day. About 30% of the folks showered but we were encouraged to 'move along' quickly.

Now (different dojo) the changing rooms have no shwoer. There is a shower in one of the restrooms but not many actually use the shower (I can't recall anyone in the last 5+ years). Not too seemly to wander about with a towel, etc ...

I asked sempai about walking around in keikogi and he said he also wears hakama - even to the local store, etc ! Something about free advertising for the dojo etc.

Personally, I just hop into my car and drive to/from dojo with keikogi on. I sweat too much to just change clothes without first showering ... Easier to change car seat covers regularly.

Anybody that feels 'challenged' by seeing me wander about in keikogi (and typically an arm full of weapons) has got problems way beyond my attire. Since the dojo has been in the same place since the 1950's the neighbors are used to all manner of such sights and are quite friendly.

Last edited by Rob Watson : 08-21-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Anybody that feels 'challenged' by seeing me wander about in keikogi (and typically an arm full of weapons) has got problems way beyond my attire. Since the dojo has been in the same place since the 1950's the neighbors are used to all manner of such sights and are quite friendly.
I agree with this. When I first started Aikido we (the majority of the class) would go to a McDonald's after practice for a bite to eat and something to drink in our gi. We never had a problem, though an individual is likely to bring more unwanted attention than a group dressed the same.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Living in a small town, if I am going from home to dojo and back home (as I generally do) I drive in my keikogi as its much more comfie to change at home and parking is never a problem as it was in the big city!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
When I first started Aikido we (the majority of the class) would go to a McDonald's after practice for a bite to eat and something to drink in our gi.
Ah... nothing like burning calories to put them back on. It's SO yummy though! I have been craving one of their bacon, egg & cheese bagels for breakfast for like 4 months now.... HAHA.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
crbateman

Change is good...

But, I've been in phone booths that were bigger than the typical dojo changing room, so I can understand why some just opt to change at home. That, and putting fresh clothes on a sweaty body seems like a waste.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
ninjaqutie

United_States

I think it also depends on the dojo rules. In my last style, you were not allowed to wear your gi or belt in public unless it was a demo. You could wear your pants to the dojo, but you had to put your top and belt on once you were inside. If you walked out of the dojo in your belt, you got in BIG trouble. It was a huge change for me to go to another dojo where you can walk outside and it is no big deal. Just yesterday I was outside looking at one of my sempais dogs. He was out there in his gi and black belt, me in my gi and white belt. I felt so awkward!