Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
white rose
Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
United Kingdom
Striking in training

I'm going to start teaching a striking drill in my class as part of the warm up's, or as a cool down. This will not be put into the Aikido techniques but I feel will help people give a better attack and so improve the class as a whole.

I'm a great believer in not mixing the arts together all the time. I have two shodan karate and a shodan in judo at my class and they are always showing me little things they do, or did that will help my aikido. But my Aikido is Aikido and I would like to hear some of your views on striking within Aikido and the teaching of it, as there seems to be a lack of it.

Dont hit me again Nick I'll wash your smalls
Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
Re: Striking in training

My dojo uses a lot of atemi, compared to what I have seen of other dojos. I think that it really helps with the training, but the flip side is that a lot of people (including myself) have to fight the tendancy to constrict around the atemi, or to think that the technique is the atemi. A lot of my training has been learning how not to constrict around a certian part of a technique, how to not force things, as nage.
On the other hand, I think honest strikes are very important for ukemi. One of the best ukes I've ever worked with - fast, slippery as an eel, and light on his feet - had a shodan in karate; A lot of aikidoka throw out a punch and then just leave their arm hanging out there in the air, waiting for nage to take it and do the technique - not very realistic.

-LK
Old 02-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Sean Cassidy wrote:

But my Aikido is Aikido and I would like to hear some of your views on striking within Aikido and the teaching of it, as there seems to be a lack of it.
I thought that's what weapon training for, especially bokken.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Technique IS atemi -- to quote another thread...

In my own aikido practice, knowing where strikes can be safely applied (by uke or nage) DURING the execution of a technique is REQUIRED for me to understand whether or not the technique is being executed correctly... That doesn't mean that the strikes are actually occurring, just that I am trying to be aware of the opportunity for them to occur.

For me to become aware of this possibility, though, I had to first be hit by someone (using love and harmony, of course). "Plays well with others," in our dojo, means that the sempai/kohei relationship encourages body-to-body communication for mutual edification... i.e., "Move or be hit."

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Students should know how to make committed strikes, shomenuchi, yokomenuchi, munetsuki,mentsuki, etc. One purpose of learning how to make committed strikes is to learn how to be an effective uke. It is as simple as that, really. In gassho
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
aikiwolf
United_States

One of my sensei always said, "If there is no attack, there is no Aikido."
Learning how to attack correctly should be part of the basics of Aikido.
Too many aikidoka have throw sloppy punches, kicks, etc. As far as punching at each other... yes, learn from a push, and grab first, but in the meantime, brush up on those skills.
And certainly, if you don't move, you should be hit. You really needn't move much anyways.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

very well said Peter... i agree too that there should be more striking practiced in aikido, both atemi and uke skills...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

Committed strikes both by uke to initiate the technique, and by shite at appropriate places in the technique are part of my dojo's syllabus techniques, and as such are practiced regulary. Although more focus is placed on oppurtunities to strike than how to strike, repeated striking in practise does build skills. The execution of the technique is based on the assumption that uke can block the original strike that occurs early in the technique, if this is not the case, and a proper strike is used, the rest of the technique is unneccessary. The aikido techniques are practiced for use when the counter-strike fails or when your opponent is someone you are committed to not injuring.

Also, when he is teaching us self defense applications, our sensei regularly shows multiple openings allowing for all kinds of different strikes and attacks to give us examples of places in the techniques where uke is open to a strike. I think this is very important, because in a self-defense situation, you may not always feel confident in your ability to execute a technique (depending on your level of training and proficiency) and you can quickly make use of the many striking opportunities instead of taking a chance that your technique is too slow or less effective than is neccessary.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
jk

Yes, everyone gets told that learning how to strike properly is important. It's also quite beneficial to learn how to strike at full power; you cannot imagine how many people in our dojo ding themselves while hitting something at near max power. You learn there's a risk of injury to the body part you're using to strike with, for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
white rose
Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
United Kingdom

Cheers for that. So glad people think its worth me doing.

Dont hit me again Nick I'll wash your smalls