Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2001, 11:59 AM   #51
mj
Hi TheOne.
No, I wasn't saying anything negative against Karate in that way. But it used to be BIG, and then fragmented into a hundred different styles, and then came Taekwondo and the 'kickboxing' and then Muay Thai. It just seems that everytime something 'new' comes along, Gracie for instance... half the world jumps on the bandwagon and suddenly 'it' whatever it is, can 'beat' everything that came before. This isn't do with an art, it's more to do with people. Also, people doing one art, whatever it is, would not have a proper perspective of others because of ego. That isn't to do with the art, I suppose. Karate became fragmented because of money, politics and ego. Bring back Funakoshi Gichin!

Old 03-31-2001, 12:00 PM   #52
mj
Ps... I didn't mention karate in that post, but I see what you mean...

Old 04-03-2001, 12:55 PM   #53
Sid
Well, lets look at the situation form you guys' own experience. Take your own sensei for instance(or yourself, if you are one). How would he stand up to a boxer? Boxers are not taught to fall - a good ikkyo and they might be gone!

Sid
Old 04-03-2001, 02:08 PM   #54
Jim23
Hi all,

Which style is best? Which fighter is best?

In my opinion, it's the person, not the art.

Although I think Bruce Lee was great, Ali was the greatest.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee ..." Didn't Morihei Ueshiba say something similar?

As for Tyson ... doesn't JeetKunDo also incorporate biting techniques?

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 04-03-2001, 03:07 PM   #55
mj
Jim... This is not up to your usual standards... we are disappointed.
Go away and find something much funnier or don't come back at all. (Only joking)

Old 04-03-2001, 05:29 PM   #56
Jim23
Maybe we are all wrong.

http://www.aristoagon.com/

What the heck is this??

Jim23

Old 04-03-2001, 06:52 PM   #57
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Quote:
lt-rentaroo wrote:
Hello,

Niadh, how did I date myself? Because of the statement I made, do I seem young or old? I remember that commercial from the early 1970's. I'm just curious.

I too, remember thie mentioned add. But I have been helping teach at a local college, and am amazed at the references I make that the students miss. I mean, I'm not that old am I? I just think that we refer to things in discussions that younger people might miss the gist of. And hence we date ourselves. Often we quote things from a time in our lives that was influential.
Sorry, i'm Ramblin' on.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 04-03-2001, 06:56 PM   #58
mj
My mate Dave thinks that 'Non sates scrire' means 'Don't spill my beer'. Would you like to settle this argument before we strangle each other. Ghaaaagh.

Old 04-03-2001, 07:03 PM   #59
Niadh
MJ, Your mate Dave is wrong. But DON't spill my beer. That is alchohol abuse. Tto know is not enough".
AA few months back (7 or 8?) ?? Gracie challanged Tyson to a NHB match, winner take all, I don't remember the sum. While BJJ is not my thing, My money would be on Gracie. I remember sparring with a boxer in my limited time studying eui-chi-roo. He stated that, anything to the body was a brush off, but even a light strike to the legs, especially thigh area, was a killer to a boxer.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 04-03-2001, 07:07 PM   #60
mj
Yeah? Why didn't he challenge Tyson to a fight BEFORE he went to jail, when NOBODY would fight him. God, I would fight anyone if I thought they were past it...

Old 04-03-2001, 07:27 PM   #61
Mark Cochran
Hey I remember conjuntion junction from saturday cartoons. They showed tem till about the mid eighties. Thats not the point however. Ali once said that if he were to only use boxing in a street fight he would lose. I feel that this shows what a great fighter he realy was. Because he didn't have any fantastic beleafs that he could beat people using only one fighting meathod ie boxing.
As to this whole karate out dated stuff. Have any of you seen what has been happing to tae kwon do. Its an olypic sport. Half the offenseive strikes have been removed for safty. Because of that the defenses aganst those strike have also been droped. You have to look real hard now to find a dojo that teachs traditional tae kwon do, and not the watered down olympic version.

The meek shall inherit the earth. It is our duty to seek out and protect them.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:34 PM   #62
Niadh
This challange was shortly, (weeks) after the famous tyson 'Got Milk' episode. Now unless you mean he has been sent to jail AGAIN and I am unaware of it, I can't help you there. But then again, withthat thought line, why didn't _________ challenege him before he went to jail? Unfortunately I do not see the relevance of that statement. Please clarify.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 04-03-2001, 07:43 PM   #63
Mark Cochran
mabey he though tyson could use the help and, or money.

The meek shall inherit the earth. It is our duty to seek out and protect them.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:59 PM   #64
Jim23
Quote:
Mark Cochran wrote:
You have to look real hard now to find a dojo that teachs traditional tae kwon do, and not the watered down olympic version.
There are many ITF dojang around. The olympic style is WTF.

Kam sa hamnida.

Jim23

Old 04-04-2001, 07:51 AM   #65
NYFE Man
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
Quote:
Jim23 wrote:
Maybe we are all wrong.

http://www.aristoagon.com/

What the heck is this??

Jim23
My favorite line in there is:

Quote:
We are of Spain Europe , our english is bad , but our Martial Art is the Best the Alltimes Greatest FASTEST Martial Art !
Looks like they answered this thread for us!

Al Foote III
Old 04-04-2001, 08:18 AM   #66
Jim23
It's should also get the vote for the ugliest web site around.

Jim23

Old 04-04-2001, 08:25 AM   #67
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
This has nothing to do with what was said! (Apologies for picking on this particular post- twas a random selection.)
The issue was whether Ali could punch harder than Bruce Lee. The nadir was the suggestion by one person that Lee was more powerful with his "One inch punch." How the hell did it get onto the issue of Ali being "past his prime" below here? This is ridiculous- he can't punch as hard as a corpse now?

AAAGAGAAHAGHHHHHHHH.
andrew

Quote:
JimmyC wrote:
I agree with nate on this. Tyson, while dangerous (not to mention mentally unstable) in the boxing ring, would have absolutely NO chance against some of the martial artists in the world, one on one. But, that would also depend on the type of fight. If it were a boxing match, then the obvious advantage would go to Tyson, but in a street fight, the martial artist would definitely have the upper hand. Ali, well let's not beat around the bush, is old. He would not last very long at ALL against anyone ever near Bruce Lee's caliber of martial arts, simply because he is not in his prime anymore. Martial artists are trained to use their
WHOLE bodies, not just their upper bodies, so they are all around more capable of defending themself in a fight.