Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2001, 02:33 AM   #1
Arunabha Sengupta
Dojo: Calcutta Judo Club Dojo
Thumbs down

Since we are having a lot of discussion on the Worst Martial Art movies, why not post the names of the best Martial Arts movies?

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-19-2001, 03:39 PM   #2
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I really enjoyed "Tai Chi Masters" starring Jet Li. I think the name was changed when it was released in the US, but the story is the same.

Two brothers get kicked out of the monastery where they are growing up, and take separate paths that lead to conflict later in life (when Jet Li has become a Tai Chi master).

The fight scene in the monastery is beautifully choreographed.

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 03-20-2001, 09:56 PM   #3
Arunabha Sengupta
Best MA Movies

This one doesn't seem to be too interesting as a forum topic. However, how do people rate Bruce Lee movies among the best ever?

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-21-2001, 06:39 AM   #4
Ray
Smile

Hi i'm new here,
i think one of the best movies i've seen is "the young master" starring jackie chan.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:31 AM   #5
naebis
I like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 03-21-2001, 09:49 AM   #6
Moomin
Dojo: Bradford
Me too, and also Shaolin Temple and Return to Shaolin Temple (but I was only 12 when I saw them so they might be rubbish), and Monkey the tv series (which wasn't really MA but what the hey).

Greg
The tiger who hunts for men may be plump,
But he still pounces
Old 03-21-2001, 02:13 PM   #7
BC
"The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurosawa

Robert Cronin
Old 03-22-2001, 10:40 AM   #8
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
I'm kind of partial to the "Kung Fu theatre" kind of MA flicks myself.

I remember one called something like "Snake fist vs. the Dragon" when I was like 12, around 1981. I don't know who was in it, I just remember it being on Showtime a lot. Typical story of a kid that was never allowed to join the dojo he actually worked in, but watched and practiced on his own until one day he beat all the students, then of course the master took him in. Something like that.

Also, Lone Wolf and Cub series is good. And Seven Samurai. Now there's a movie I'd like to see remade, yet without sacrificing/changing the story or characters, and of course the skill of swordmanship.

C. Martin

Old 03-22-2001, 10:23 PM   #9
Arunabha Sengupta
How do people rate Fists of Fury?

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-26-2001, 07:09 PM   #10
melvynq
Dojo: Aikido Shinju-kai
Have anyone watch Drive. This movie is a rare gem. Mark Dacascos is an extremely gifted martial artist. He really shows his stuff in this movie and other such as Crying Freeman, etc.

Old 03-26-2001, 07:33 PM   #11
Nick
United_States
Ran, most of Kagemusha (some of it lost me), Sanjuro, and for a more contemporary one, Fist of Legend... it's a remake of Lee's Chinese Connection, and basically kung fu vs karate in pre-WWII Shanghai. Very interesting, and excepting the film speed up, and when they kick a tree down (my dad walked in right at that part of the movie, laughed, and said "Come on!"), it's pretty realistic. Just don't get the dubbed version... reminds me somehow of Godzilla .

Nick
Old 04-03-2001, 10:43 PM   #12
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
Quote:
melvynq wrote:
Have anyone watch Drive. This movie is a rare gem. Mark Dacascos is an extremely gifted martial artist. He really shows his stuff in this movie and other such as Crying Freeman, etc.

Is that the one where he is trying to escape the other guy with a "bio-engine" and the dude with the long hair with a whip?? He also fights some guys by putting some boots on his hands??
There's still a lot of "wire work" in it, but Dascascos is still pretty good, but like I said in an earlier post, he's a victim of the low budget film.

Another film I like but no one has mentioned yet is "Rapid Fire" with Brandon Lee.

C. Martin

Old 04-04-2001, 03:49 AM   #13
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
Not really a MA movie but a martial movie, I have always had 'Seven Samurai' in the top spot. 'Sanjuro' and 'Yojimbo' and also right up there.
I also like 'Crying freeman' for a manga like feel to a movie.
For humor value alone 'Zu warriors' is absolutely wild and was the forerunner to the supernatural kung-fu film.

Bruce Lees movies are good, but I never really liked the revenge/killing people part.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:43 AM   #14
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
"The Young Master" is pretty cool, but I bought it in London last year and they'd cut most of the opium fight from the video, which was the main reason I'd wanted to see it again! Probably fine if you buy it anywhere else..

Oddly, "The armor of god" is really crisply edited in the dubbed version, but with a bit conversation section cut. The subtitled version has sloppier editing (slightly longer shots in some of the action scenes which make it less tense), bad tranlation, but leaves in the best part of the film where Jackie Chan tries to conceal his friends Fiance in his bedroom. Take the best of both versions and you'd have my favorite Jackie Chan movie, and I'm a big fan.

andrew
Old 04-04-2001, 12:05 PM   #15
Erik
How about

"Big Trouble in Little China"
with Kurt Russell

"A Fistful of Yen"
which was in Kentucky Fried Movie