Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
iokuyama
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
United_States
Ai symbol Re-discovering Aikido

Born in Japan, I practiced Aikido at Hombu Dojo for about a year while I was a college student. Then about 3 years ago, after 20+ years of break, I went back to Aikido (yes, 40+ starter!). Aikido had been a tremendous help in revitalizing my life. I am very happy to have re-discovered Aikido.

Since last year, I began attending various seminars in Pacific Northwest (USA), where I currently live (I moved to the US a few years after graduating from college). Seminars are wonderful place to meet other Aikido practitioners. But I found it interesting that there were very few Japanese students attending seminars (if any). Other than Sensei, I have met only a handful so far. I am not dying to meet other Japanese. I just found it interesting.

Back home (in Japan), Aikido is definitely not a popular martial art. In Japan, not many dojos are open for training every day (at least in Tokyo/Yokohama area). When I tell my Japanese friends that I do Aikido, many of them ask me what Aikido is like. They know the name, but not much else. In contrast, Aikido community seems to be growing fast(er) in North America and Europe. I wonder what attracts people outside Japan to Aikido, and not in Japan.

I have been tempted to start teaching Japanese language for Aikido for beginner students. It must be very difficult to remember complicated technique names if you don't know what they mean. I take my hat off to those who can!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States
Re: Re-discovering Aikido

Ikuko,

Welcome from Nashville, Tn. If you were near to me I would love a Japanese language for beginners class.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Hello,
Nice to meet you. Regarding students from Japan attending seminars.... I find that when the AKI dojo in Santa Barbara, Canada, and Australia hold gasshuku, students from Japan almost always come. It's a wonderful experience for all of us. It reminds us of our connections with each other.

Best regards.
Steve
Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
akiy

Hi Ikuko,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
zenofmoo
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
United_States

Should you choose to start this class, count me as interested. And since you are near to me, that makes it all the easier!

Patrick Davis
Aikido Eastside, Bellevue Washington, USA
Old 03-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
spainki

Spain

Amigo Ikuko, certainly Aikido is most popular in Europe (France is mad with aikido) and USA than Japan but... "nadie es profeta en su tierra".
Good ki for you.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Noela Bingham
Dojo: Jade/ Frimley Surrey
England

Hello iokuyama, i think teaching Japaneses for Aikido students is a brilliant idea. The pronunciation can be difficult.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria

Yes, isīt it amazing! I have 2 Japanese friends, and they didnīt have Any idea what aikido was until they came to see a practice, and after the practice they exclaimed "Oh, you are more japanese then japanese people are!"