Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
aikidoprincipal
Dojo: Iwama Ryu North West
England
Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)

Iwama Ryu North West will be running a one year Instructor programme, based in Chorley, Lancashire, UK

In Japan there is a zero to black belt course run for the Tokyo riot police. This course is spread out over a year and is very intensive. It is also available to foreign students, interested in Aikido. A former student of this course, Robert Twigger, wrote about his experiences of this course and life in Japan, a very interesting book entitled, Angry White Pyjamas. Iwama Ryu North west has received permission from Mr Twigger to use this name and link it to our own version of the course.

The whole experience of our one year programme shall be based upon the "uchi-deshi" experience. Uchi deshi simply translates as live in student. Each person to enrol on this course will live in at the dojo (training hall) for the duration of the course. Everything revolves around the study of Aikido. Students will have access to a kitchen to prepare meals, will work together to maintain the cleanliness of the dojo and work together to develop their Aikido. The whole course is centred around strong basics of the Iwama Ryu syllabus. An extensive library of Aikido books and videos will be available for study. The course will be very intensive with a minimum of five hours tuition per day, Monday to Friday. Two weekends per month will be extra training courses. Overall each student will have logged over 1000 hours tuition, prior to sitting their Shodan (black belt, first dan) test. Each student must also keep a daily logbook of study and self study to be handed in at the end of the course. IT facilities will be available for video diaries. Internet access will also be provided.

This course is costed at £6500-00 per person for the whole year. This will include 3 meals per day, Monday to Friday. Students will have to self cater on weekends. Students will sit the Shodan test at the end of the year under the eye of Sensei Matt Hill, the UK representitive of Hitohira Saito Sensei. There are 30 places available for this instructor programme and any interest should be logged via the website, www.iwama-ryu-north-west.org
Iwama Ryu North west are not responsible for foreign students arranging travel or visas. This instructor programme will commence towards the end of 2011, dates still to be confirmed.
In Aiki,
Iwama Ryu North west.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Angry white pyjamas (One year instructor programme in Lancaster, UK)

Quote:
Paul Sparks wrote: View Post
Iwama Ryu North West will be running a one year Instructor programme, based in Chorley, Lancashire, UK

In Japan there is a zero to black belt course run for the Tokyo riot police. This course is spread out over a year and is very intensive. It is also available to foreign students, interested in Aikido. A former student of this course, Robert Twigger, wrote about his experiences of this course and life in Japan, a very interesting book entitled, Angry White Pyjamas. Iwama Ryu North west has received permission from Mr Twigger to use this name and link it to our own version of the course.

The whole experience of our one year programme shall be based upon the "uchi-deshi" experience. Uchi deshi simply translates as live in student. Each person to enrol on this course will live in at the dojo (training hall) for the duration of the course. Everything revolves around the study of Aikido. Students will have access to a kitchen to prepare meals, will work together to maintain the cleanliness of the dojo and work together to develop their Aikido. The whole course is centred around strong basics of the Iwama Ryu syllabus. An extensive library of Aikido books and videos will be available for study. The course will be very intensive with a minimum of five hours tuition per day, Monday to Friday. Two weekends per month will be extra training courses. Overall each student will have logged over 1000 hours tuition, prior to sitting their Shodan (black belt, first dan) test. Each student must also keep a daily logbook of study and self study to be handed in at the end of the course. IT facilities will be available for video diaries. Internet access will also be provided.

This course is costed at £6500-00 per person for the whole year. This will include 3 meals per day, Monday to Friday. Students will have to self cater on weekends. Students will sit the Shodan test at the end of the year under the eye of Sensei Matt Hill, the UK representitive of Hitohira Saito Sensei. There are 30 places available for this instructor programme and any interest should be logged via the website, www.iwama-ryu-north-west.org
Iwama Ryu North west are not responsible for foreign students arranging travel or visas. This instructor programme will commence towards the end of 2011, dates still to be confirmed.
In Aiki,
Iwama Ryu North west.
Hi,
Read your web page.It indicates you run a non profit org.By my reckoning your one year course would bring in gross £195000 .Now unless you are feeding the guys on caviare [my little joke] if I couldnt show a profit at the end of a year I would eat my zori. You also will have potentially 30 Molly Maids to clean /dust and maintain the premises.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
aikidoprincipal
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi,
Read your web page.It indicates you run a non profit org.By my reckoning your one year course would bring in gross £195000 .Now unless you are feeding the guys on caviare [my little joke] if I couldnt show a profit at the end of a year I would eat my zori. You also will have potentially 30 Molly Maids to clean /dust and maintain the premises.
Cheers, Joe.
The organisation is a not for profit organisation. No one has a salary and the cost gives a student somewhere to live, meals for five days, and over 1000 hours each tuition. After you pay for everything, and it is a pretty big list, there would not be a great deal left over. For example the venue we hire just for our club had a £60,000 per year running cost bill! We would have a venue, running costs, phone lines and internet, food, transport (minibus) to take the students to other clubs, IT facilities, printers, audio / visual equipment............the list goes on. Yes it is a large amount but it is priced failrly for what a student may receive. At the end of the year there may be some profit but that would go into the organisation and towards another one year course. Do some research into the whole project idea Joe and see how cheaply you could run an uchi deshi instructor programme for!
Regards
Iwama Ryu North West
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Paul Sparks wrote: View Post
The organisation is a not for profit organisation. No one has a salary and the cost gives a student somewhere to live, meals for five days, and over 1000 hours each tuition. After you pay for everything, and it is a pretty big list, there would not be a great deal left over. For example the venue we hire just for our club had a £60,000 per year running cost bill! We would have a venue, running costs, phone lines and internet, food, transport (minibus) to take the students to other clubs, IT facilities, printers, audio / visual equipment............the list goes on. Yes it is a large amount but it is priced failrly for what a student may receive. At the end of the year there may be some profit but that would go into the organisation and towards another one year course. Do some research into the whole project idea Joe and see how cheaply you could run an uchi deshi instructor programme for!
Regards
Iwama Ryu North West
Dear Paul,
Sainsburys state that a family of four can be fed for a fiver a day[I appreciate it may well be a basic menu] however on that basis
the 30 guys would be [rounding up ] a cost of 8X£5.00X 5days=£200.00.On the weekends when the candidates are self supporting they could indulge themselves in an extra treat [maybe a Mars Bar?] Your Dojo costs would be the same[ £60000].So while you may well drive a minibus [no mention of annual mileage} or printing costs etc.
including compulsory training of 1000 hrs[20 hrs a week ]I think there will be some meat on the bone after the course is finished.
Any way, its not uncommon for groups claiming to be non profit making or charitable instituitions to pay 'honorariums 'to their officers.If however your profits {if any]are solely used for the benefit of your group you deserve /merit my admiration and respect.
All the best , Joe.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

At current exchange rates, the cost is about the same as two semesters of basic dorm and food plan at a public college or university in the states.

At 12 months instead of 10 it looks good in comparison!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I wish you every success in it!

At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to clarify that the Riot Police course in Japan featured in AWP is Yoshinkan-style Aikido. It is also a 9 month black belt program, with the full 11 month track granting an instructor certificate on top of that. While rank beginners are accepted to the program, some prior background in Yoshinkan-style Aikido is recommended.

These comments are not intended to detract for your program in anyway. It sounds like an amazing and rare opportunity for intense training outside of Japan!

Last edited by Rabih Shanshiry : 05-13-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

The two threads you have running to promote your future programme will, I am sure , attract the attention of many people traffickers who will respond to you offering to fill all your thirty places, they will then ask for a letter of invitation...you will never see them once they have the said letter..beware !
Good luck with your programme.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
aikidoprincipal
England

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I wish you every success in it!

At the risk of being pedantic, I would like to clarify that the Riot Police course in Japan featured in AWP is Yoshinkan-style Aikido. It is also a 9 month black belt program, with the full 11 month track granting an instructor certificate on top of that. While rank beginners are accepted to the program, some prior background in Yoshinkan-style Aikido is recommended.

These comments are not intended to detract for your program in anyway. It sounds like an amazing and rare opportunity for intense training outside of Japan!
Hi
Thanks for that. I loved the book of the same name which promted me to put together the programme so I sought permission from Robert Twigger to use the name AWP. I know it is Yoshinkan but we practise Iwama Ryu. There is also the opportunity to take a teaching / coaching award for those in the UK who may attend.
Thanks for your input.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
aikidoprincipal
England

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
The two threads you have running to promote your future programme will, I am sure , attract the attention of many people traffickers who will respond to you offering to fill all your thirty places, they will then ask for a letter of invitation...you will never see them once they have the said letter..beware !
Good luck with your programme.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Hi Henry,
Thankyou for that information, I shall watch out.
Regards
Paul