Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
UFC Rio

Wow.

Anderson Silva is very impressive.

I never thought too highly of Ushin Okami, but Silva's perceptive abilities are truly impressive.

I think that aikidoists would be well served to observe Silva vs. Okami, and try to experience exactly where Silva takes himself when he gets in that state.

There is a shift.

There is absolutely no fear.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Richard Stevens
United_States
Re: UFC Rio

I definitely agree. The fight is a must see. Silva's ability to completely and utterly dominate his opponents is amazing. He is simply on another level. Honesty, I gave Okami little chance coming into the fight, but I didn't think Silva was going to so thoroughly dominate him.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

I've long since given up all hope of a Japanese fighter doing well in the UFC.

You'd think they'd be well-represented...I guess.

A great fight: I agree.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
jester

United_States

Silva dominated him in their first match-up also. I haven't seen the last fight but I could have predicted the outcome.

-

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Silva dominated him in their first match-up also. I haven't seen the last fight but I could have predicted the outcome.

-
But then, Okami was meant to have changed/improved a hell of a lot in the interim - training with Chael Sonnen, for example, who talked up his chances (no surprises there).

As I say: I had no hope for him, as i'm yet to see a Japanese fighter do well in the UFC. Akiyama - another highly regarded middleweight - got absolutely smashed by Belfort at the last UFC event.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Richard Stevens
United_States

I've always wondered how Sakuraba would have fared if he had competed in the UFC during his prime.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
ryback

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I think that aikidoists would be well served to observe Silva vs. Okami, and try to experience exactly where Silva takes himself when he gets in that state.

Hi Michael! I have a question:why would aikidoists be well served to watch something like that? This is an honest question, not me trying to be a smart-ass...I'm really asking.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
Hi Michael! I have a question:why would aikidoists be well served to watch something like that? This is an honest question, not me trying to be a smart-ass...I'm really asking.
Because the level of awase, irimi and control that Anderson Silva displays is a pleasure to watch.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
ryback

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Because the level of awase, irimi and control that Anderson Silva displays is a pleasure to watch.
Ok, i see your point of view. I consider martial arts totally different from dynamic fighting sports and i don't watch these kinds of sports, so i've never seen him in action. I've watched only some training he did with Steven Seagal sensei. In my opinion, anything that would benefit an aikidoist lies within aikido, but i wanted to see the perspective of somebody with different opinion. Thank you for your response.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Ok, i see your point of view. I consider martial arts totally different from dynamic fighting sports and i don't watch these kinds of sports, so i've never seen him in action. I've watched only some training he did with Steven Seagal sensei. In my opinion, anything that would benefit an aikidoist lies within aikido, but i wanted to see the perspective of somebody with different opinion. Thank you for your response.
You should watch the second round against Okami. Silva stands with his guard down, inviting Okami to attack, then counterpunch him. It´s almost like Nishio-style kihon waza.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
chillzATL
United_States

I've said it before, but it would be interesting to see just how slow a fight seems to him in action.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Richard Stevens
United_States

Quote:
In my opinion, anything that would benefit an aikidoist lies within aikido
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that seems a bit close minded.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Maai even moreso ...

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

so what are we suppose to look for? be impressed by an uneven match? or the nice tights that they were wearing?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
so what are we suppose to look for? be impressed by an uneven match? or the nice tights that they were wearing?
Well, I guess we're meant to be impressed by how it was uneven - in spite of the fact that this is the best opponent that could be offered; kind of like how we're impressed by how O'sensei was superior to all those other people.

I think they were wearing shorts - as opposed to white pyjamas.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #16
ryback

Quote:
Richard Stevens wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that seems a bit close minded.
Perhaps you are right, but the way i see aikido is as a complete training system to learn a martial art and everything you need to learn aikido, in my opinion, are offered in an aikido dojo. I know that other people have other opinions on that, so maybe i am a little close minded when it comes to that, but that's the way i see it...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
jester

United_States

Quote:
Perhaps you are right, but the way i see aikido is as a complete training system to learn a martial art and everything you need to learn aikido, in my opinion, are offered in an aikido dojo. I know that other people have other opinions on that, so maybe i am a little close minded when it comes to that, but that's the way i see it...
Wait till someone tackles you!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
ryback

Quote:
Wait till someone tackles you!
What do you mean?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
jester

United_States

Quote:
What do you mean?
If you somehow end up on the ground, Dojo Aikido won't be of much use.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
ryback

Quote:
If you somehow end up on the ground, Dojo Aikido won't be of much use.
Is that so? How do you know it hasn't already happened to me? There is no "dojo aikido", we train in the dojo and the actual application happens of course at the random time of an attack. So you say that in that case, you would rather use experience achieved by...watching UFC. Ok, fine by me. I prefer using my aikido training. Is just a matter of personal...preferance.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
jester

United_States

Quote:
Is that so? How do you know it hasn't already happened to me? There is no "dojo aikido", we train in the dojo and the actual application happens of course at the random time of an attack. So you say that in that case, you would rather use experience achieved by...watching UFC. Ok, fine by me. I prefer using my aikido training. Is just a matter of personal...preferance.
You mentioned: "everything you need to learn aikido, in my opinion, are offered in an aikido dojo".

Dojo Aikido Right?? So when this happened to you, what Aikido Technique did you use? What did your attacked do to you? Did he just look at you and let you get up? Did he kick you in the face? Did he stick a knee in your chest and pummel your face?

Judging from your responses, you seem to be trolling for some type of debate.

Who said anything about learning MMA from the TV?? I trained in BJJ and Judo.

-

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
Richard Stevens
United_States
Smile Re: UFC Rio

Quote:
Logical fallacy does not exist in this dojo!

I've run into this close minded attitude from time to time. Thankfully it seems to be the exception to the rule. I would suggest throwing on some shorts and a t-shirt, heading to a local high-school and putting your Aikido to the test against a decent wrestler. Maybe your end-all-be-all dojo Aikido will prevail. Or maybe reality will set in as an 17 year old rag dolls you. Who knows?