Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
St Matt
United Kingdom
Footwear for training?

I was at my dojo recently and we were practising with weapons, therefore we were a bit more spread out and some of us had to train off the mats on the hard floor. Now about ten years ago I managed to smash my heel on a motorbike and now it doesn't take kindly to hard floors and subsequently I had a real hard time of it. So I was wondering if there was any kind of 'training' shoe that is acceptable to use for Aikido? Does anyone know of anything?

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Footwear for training?

Quote:
Matt Bostock wrote: View Post
I was at my dojo recently and we were practising with weapons, therefore we were a bit more spread out and some of us had to train off the mats on the hard floor. Now about ten years ago I managed to smash my heel on a motorbike and now it doesn't take kindly to hard floors and subsequently I had a real hard time of it. So I was wondering if there was any kind of 'training' shoe that is acceptable to use for Aikido? Does anyone know of anything?

Cheers,
Matt.
don't know of anything aikido specific or acceptable, but I'm a big fan of vibram five fingers for most any sort of off the mat training.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
St Matt
United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for the reply.

i have never heard of those before but they look great! I will have a word with my dojo and see if they are ok to use on such occasions.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

The vibram five fingers definitely get my vote too. I have 2 pairs and love them... one word of warning though, if you wear them to a gym just be careful, i had a guy fall off of a running machine because he couldn't take his eyes off my feet

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

A more traditional alternative to fivefingers is tabi. Usually sold in budoshops/martial arts suppliers and much cheaper than fivefingers.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Mark Mueller

I have tried tabi but have yet to find a pair with a "grippy" sole so the ones I have used slide a bit on the mat.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Five Fingers are an example of minimalist shoes -- if you search on that phrase, you'll find even more alternatives. Minimalist shoes are something that I've been experimenting with. I've had a number of foot injuries in the past, and I'm starting to think that supportive or cushioning footwear doesn't really help and may even make some of these problems worse. Anyway, that's one of the many claims made by fans of minimalist footwear, who use them to address a variety of situations. It certainly seems that training off the mat is a situation where minimalist footwear is a good solution.

One thing about Five Fingers is that they don't work well for people whose second toe is longer than their first toe. Mine is, just slightly, so I haven't gone that route. I have a pair of huaraches made according to the Invisible Shoe directions (http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches) -- you can get the materials from them, or get them to make a pair for you, or you can just buy some cherry vibram and cord and do it yourself.

Minimalist shoes do take some getting used to, particularly if you use them for daily wear, and particularly for running. The main reason why people choose minimalist shoes for running is that they want to alter their gait from one where heelstrike predominates to one that focuses on the ball of the foot. Advocates believe that this is better for foot health, long term, but in the short term you can't just put them on and run your normal mileage -- your mechanics don't change instantaneously, and until they do, you won't be able to run lots of miles without danger of injury. Again, not such an issue if you're just using the shoes for off-the-mat training, but a bigger issue if you plan to use them for running or even just for everyday wear.

Here are some more links for anyone who's interested in minimalist footwear:

Article on minimalist footwear and product links from EMS
Birthday Shoes -- about toe shoes and other minimalist shoes
Soft Star Shoes
Primal Foot Alliance -- more about barefooting but also good info about minimalist shoes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches) --
Article on minimalist footwear and product links from EMS
Birthday Shoes -- about toe shoes and other minimalist shoes
Soft Star Shoes
Primal Foot Alliance -- more about barefooting but also good info about minimalist shoes
Cool Links, Mary!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
One thing about Five Fingers is that they don't work well for people whose second toe is longer than their first toe. Mine is, just slightly, so I haven't gone that route. I have a pair of huaraches made according to the Invisible Shoe directions (http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches) -- you can get the materials from them, or get them to make a pair for you, or you can just buy some cherry vibram and cord and do it yourself.
IMy second toe is roughly the toe nail longer than my big toe. I got mine locally, so someone helped me size them. We just sized to that toe and I haven't had any problems. Sizing is very important with these things!

Quote:
Minimalist shoes do take some getting used to, particularly if you use them for daily wear, and particularly for running. The main reason why people choose minimalist shoes for running is that they want to alter their gait from one where heelstrike predominates to one that focuses on the ball of the foot. Advocates believe that this is better for foot health, long term, but in the short term you can't just put them on and run your normal mileage -- your mechanics don't change instantaneously, and until they do, you won't be able to run lots of miles without danger of injury. Again, not such an issue if you're just using the shoes for off-the-mat training, but a bigger issue if you plan to use them for running or even just for everyday wear.
My main reason for wanting to try them was because I love being barefoot, but that's not really acceptable or safe for the feetsies, but I had also started developing pain in the outside-ball of both my feet and my last three toes were kind of curling under each other. THey weren't separated like you would normally expect. I figured having my toes forced apart would be a good thing and it was. After a year of steady use the foot pain went away and my toes lay much more normally than before.

The first three months or so was an experience though. I learned that my ankles were crazy weak and that I had absolutely no idea how to run the way you need to run in these things. I was running with my heel far too high up, but after watching some vids of barefoot runners I adjusted my step and it's been great.

My only complaint is that they can give you some horrible stink-foot after just a few wears. It's really to be expected with something so snug fitting. At least they're very easy to wash/dry.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/default.aspx

A good stance and posture reflects a proper state of mind
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
jbblack

Dojo: Aikido of Roseville
United_States

These are awesome. I have been using them on the mat for over two years. Highly recommended.
http://www.mmaoutlet.com/4Q2-MMA-Fight-Socks-P532.aspx

Cheers, Jeff
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
dps

Consider Fila Skela-toes;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGInUQ_oal8

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
I have a pair of huaraches made according to the Invisible Shoe directions (http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches) -- you can get the materials from them, or get them to make a pair for you, or you can just buy some cherry vibram and cord and do it yourself.
This DIYgal has the materials en route and when I come up for air between the day job, the dojo, the family and making weapons bags {gasp!} in "my copious free time" I'm going to make a pair....and then, of course, start altering them

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
This DIYgal has the materials en route and when I come up for air between the day job, the dojo, the family and making weapons bags {gasp!} in "my copious free time" I'm going to make a pair....and then, of course, start altering them
The hardest part is cutting the rubber -- I used a big pair of leatherworking shears and it was still some work. But, you know, ten minutes total.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Matt Bostock wrote: View Post

Cheers,
Matt.
Where I've trained, just any kind of shoe was acceptable for outdoors training. For off-mat training indoors IMHO any clean shoe that does not leave stains on the floor should be fine although you might prefer a sole that does not "grip" too much.

But if you have problems with your feet and there is a mat, just not with enough space for everybody, why don't you just tell your partner "I have a condition in my heel and really need to be on the mat, not the hard floor" and/or telling the teacher you do need a little space on the mat, not beside it.