Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
john2054

United Kingdom
Banned from Aikido...

Because of me saying i wanted to 'street fight' with this bird on the net. Probably for the best?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Brian Gillaspie

Dojo: School of Martial and Meditative Arts
United_States
Re: Banned from Aikido...

Just curious as to what type of discussion you are expecting. Are you asking if your banishment was justified?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

How can you be banned from aikido? Your school might have banned you, but there are others. I'm sure you would be welcome to train with us, unless you did something to annoy sensei
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Campbell
Dojo: None..Yet
United_States

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
Because of me saying i wanted to 'street fight' with this bird on the net. Probably for the best?
bird on the net?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
How can you be banned from aikido? Your school might have banned you, but there are others. I'm sure you would be welcome to train with us, unless you did something to annoy sensei
I was gonna say something similar.... Banned from your dojo /club, maybe. But not aikido.

Go to another dojo maybe

Many aikido folk in their younger days went out to 'test' their aikido

practice hard
Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
john2054

United Kingdom

Hi people thanks for your kind replies. Well the good news is that I have talked with the chief sensei who has asked me to take some time out and then reconsider joining in 5-6 months. So all is not lost. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5101452AAoHDsShttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6143141AA57BsQ
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Janet Rosen

(sigh)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi, this made me laugh.
Neither "some lessons in krav maga" nor an "aikido yellow belt" will be decisive for winning a fight. So if you do/ did this street fight, the winner would have won because of sheer force, velocity, brutality, biting/ ball kicking or whatever, but not thanks to superior martial arts skills.
I wouldn't see any reason to ban someone due to a "fight for fun", but maybe there is a reason for banning in making Internet publicity for this fight and linking it to questionable aikido skills?

I'd just ignore this type of challenge, and if you're really interested in seeing how far your aikido takes you against some other's krav maga, go to MMA or similar training and see what it's worth.

Best,

Eva
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #9
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Hi people thanks for your kind replies. Well the good news is that I have talked with the chief sensei who has asked me to take some time out and then reconsider joining in 5-6 months. So all is not lost.
You could spend these 5-6 months training a combat sport.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

chirp

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Brian Gillaspie

Dojo: School of Martial and Meditative Arts
United_States

So you want to "fight" someone because they think they are a better fighter than you. Do you challenge everyone who thinks they may be more skilled at something than you? If you do I'm afraid you're going to be busy for a while because there is always someone out there who will think they are better than you at some activity (martial arts, swimming, running, basket weaving, etc.).

You also mentioned fighting without hurting each other which mean some rules come into play. If there are rules you are really not fighting. All you are doing at that point is seeing who is better performing under those rules.

I don't know you or your instructor but based on this discussion in my opinion if you can't let go of your ego it sounds like the dojo you were at may not be a good fit for you.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
lbb
United_States

Hey, UK folks, clue me in. In the United States, there's a widely mistaken belief that two people can simply decide to get in a fight, and it's all fine because they agreed to do it. In fact, indulging in such foolishness puts you at risk for a charge of assault, and the fact that the other party agreed to the fight is no defense. That's just the penalty before anyone even gets hurt, mind you. As soon as someone else does, you're either on the receiving end, or you're looking at additional criminal and civil penalties. Is the situation vastly different in the UK, so that people can simply go about challenging each other to fights, and as long as the other party says, "OK!" everybody gets to sleep at home that night?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Because of ...

I'm banned from Pizza.

Its a worldwide ban, not just my local outlets. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

You know, it's amazing. I'm 3 years in with a bit over 1000 hours in to my Aikido training, and I have recently come to the conclusion that if someone took a swing at me, I have a better than even chance of getting out of the way and not getting hit. Maybe I'm just a slow learner?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
john2054

United Kingdom

Hi everyone. I'm banned from the club for the time being at least. Like i said above, i had no intention of hurting the above mentioned parties, but to be quite honest with you this has all blown up out of proportion (into some kind of red tiger). If i'm not allowed to do Aikido quite frankly it's their loss. With my degree and mental health issues an ongoing concern, i do have other priorities you know?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with two people rolling around and trying it out by mutual consent. From the lineage on the website of the dojo in question I know for a fact that their instructor Shigeho Tanaka did just that. So did Morihei Ueshiba, Sokaku Takeda, and just about everybody from that generation. What exactly is the problem?

Best,

Chris

Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with two people rolling around and trying it out by mutual consent. From the lineage on the website of the dojo in question I know for a fact that their instructor Shigeho Tanaka did just that. So did Morihei Ueshiba, Sokaku Takeda, and just about everybody from that generation. What exactly is the problem?

Best,

Chris
my point exactly...i remember reading that gozo shioda also did this...

practice hard
Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

Perhaps because the "bird" in question is female (and there is no mention of her rank/qualifications) to engage in such activity (or, if she even wants to). Also, I thought this type of "dojo storming" went out in the 60s....??

Seems that there may be more at issue here than first indicated to be "banned" from aikido.....
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
john2054

United Kingdom

yeah true bird=female

however in my defence i'd like to say that this young woman was under the impression that she was a lot better than me, whereas i consider mma and krav-ma as to being subferior to aiki training, and hence i thought i had a chance. also this person in question told me that she had numerous degrees whereas i am training for my first.

i think the issue at stake here is that i put this on the web, and it got back to my clubs number two. who gave me a roasting. im really not bothered and big deal. listen ive got mental illness. ive been in hospitals where you CAN'T get away with talking like this in front of the staff. trust me it's like water of a ducks back.

I'm reading les mis by victor hugo, and for not the first time in my life i can relate to jean valjean after he escapes the galleys in the first book or two of that novel.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States

Quote:
yeah true bird=female

however in my defence i'd like to say that this young woman was under the impression that she was a lot better than me, whereas i consider mma and krav-ma as to being subferior to aiki training, and hence i thought i had a chance. also this person in question told me that she had numerous degrees whereas i am training for my first.

i think the issue at stake here is that i put this on the web, and it got back to my clubs number two. who gave me a roasting. im really not bothered and big deal. listen ive got mental illness. ive been in hospitals where you CAN'T get away with talking like this in front of the staff. trust me it's like water of a ducks back.

I'm reading les mis by victor hugo, and for not the first time in my life i can relate to jean valjean after he escapes the galleys in the first book or two of that novel.
Actually, there is no defense here.......the fact that you are not really bothered by this is telling in itself, and should be a red flag for you. Listen to your senior club members as to what is considered appropriate aikido/dojo behavior. Let them be your guide.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Hilary
Dojo: Torrey Pines Aiki Kai
United_States

If you named your school or affiliation publicly, then you are a bad boy, do not drag your dojo or sensei into your cat fight; it is rude and disrespectful. And even if you have not named them, in the internet age your affiliation will likely be revealed and well…your sensei ends up having to explain his student’s actions.

Neither of you are likely skilled at the arts you have been trained in, you are beginners, and that is a recipe for disaster. Back in my kempo days the most dangerous students were the green belts (in that system half way to shodan), because they had finally figured out how to deliver power, but did not yet have control. A street fight ehh, with fingers in the eyes, joint breaks via locks, strikes and throws, head butts, incisors to the carotid or ear (a full Tyson) when close? And on your part you going to pull her joints apart or whip out a break fall shionage?

As Chris Li and other have pointed out, testing your technology is a time honored tradition in many circles. You are not ready of that, the fact that this bubbled up at all indicates that both of you have a little ego problem. That she thinks her art is superior to yours is irrelevant, she can think what she wants, you don’t have to get caught up in the monkey dance. That you have says volumes to your state of mind. Chill you are a student.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Hey, UK folks, clue me in. In the United States, there's a widely mistaken belief that two people can simply decide to get in a fight, and it's all fine because they agreed to do it. In fact, indulging in such foolishness puts you at risk for a charge of assault, and the fact that the other party agreed to the fight is no defense. That's just the penalty before anyone even gets hurt, mind you. As soon as someone else does, you're either on the receiving end, or you're looking at additional criminal and civil penalties. Is the situation vastly different in the UK, so that people can simply go about challenging each other to fights, and as long as the other party says, "OK!" everybody gets to sleep at home that night?
Yup, that's a super-common urban legend in my state and profession. Nope, folks cant just choose to fight in public. Least not in my state. Off the top, a mutual public fight would be disturbing the peace. Probably get some assault charges as well, Just yelling threats at someone can get an assault charge. Self-defense claims get seriously muddled in mutual combat situations. One up conventions also get really messy when folks try to claim mutual combat.

Better solution. Dont fight.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #23
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post

Best,

Chris
Did they throw down publicly, or within a dojo or some sort of sanctioned event? Did they break the laws of their place and time? Should they have participated in such thing? Has society changed a lot over the last several decades?

I'd just invite the lady to come train with me for a while. That way, no fighting, and everybody learns. If what I like to do suits her, great. If what I do is beneath her skills and abilities, I learn something. If what she does is not up to the dojo's snuff, we've got a new student, I've got a friend, and Bob's your uncle....

It is hardly ever a single incident will get a person sent to the sin bin. Especially in a dojo.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
Janet Rosen

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Actually, there is no defense here.......the fact that you are not really bothered by this is telling in itself, and should be a red flag for you. Listen to your senior club members as to what is considered appropriate aikido/dojo behavior. Let them be your guide.
Yep. The late Gayle Fillman Sensei was known to remove people from membership short term or not allow them to rank if their dojo OR public community behavior was egregious. Having trained at other dojos where people got away with all kinds of nonsense I found this a refreshing stand on the role of ethics in budo.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #25
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
It is hardly ever a single incident will get a person sent to the sin bin.
This.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.