Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Janet Rosen

Return of the hemp gi?

Some years ago, there was a woman in Mendocino/Lake County, Machiko, making hemp dogi. She used to run a print ad in Aikido Today magazine but never had an online presence. Her dogi were in the judo style (double layer shields at the front and back shoulder for holding up to grabs, and the "skirted" bottom); they looked great and held up unbelievably well due to the inherent characteristics of the hemp fiber.

Eleven years later, the original ones she'd made for local aikidoka are finally wearing out and she's not making them anymore...now I'm living here with my nine year old home microbusiness custom sewing baby-sized organic cotton dogi and cotton weapons bags.

Yep. I've gotten back in touch with my old supplier of hemp fabrics to check their fabric samples and working on a cost-out to see how much these suckers would have to priced at. Next step, make a sample for somebody at the dojo and see how it works.

So I'm not ready to take orders yet, but I'm hoping that within a couple of months I'll have at least the jacket design down, be ready to offer those, and start working on the pants design.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 07-16-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: formatting

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Return of the hemp gi?

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

In that case....

Would you consider making a jacket in the kendo style -- one vent in the back, no side vents, lower hem just above the knees so the side vents in the hakama are completely covered and there's no futher need for pants under pants?

Please? Not that I want to eliminate the market for pants entirely, but at this point, I can't imagine going back to them.

Best,

FL

Last edited by Fred Little : 07-16-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Fred, the beauty of custom sewing (which is the model I use) is that I/we can do anything we agree on! Let me get the cost-out done for the basic top, get a couple of samples out onto the mat for testing, and then I'm happy to start playing with the details. Folks here are not wanting pants either (happy to use old cotton ones or biking shorts or whatever) so I'm starting w/ just the tops.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
David Maidment
United Nations

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
Please? Not that I want to eliminate the market for pants entirely, but at this point, I can't imagine going back to them.
I agree! Trousers/shorter jackets feel so odd with a hakama now :\
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
DonMagee
United_States

I can tell you that if you made them in a more tapered cut (similar to bjj competition gi) I would totally buy a few.

I've always wanted a hemp gi, but a judo cut would be too loose for me to wear in day to day use. I natural fiber, bjj cut, hemp gi would be right up my alley.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Wow. Hope to hear how it works out! Best of luck.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Thank you all...waiting for sample swatches....hope to have a first one in beta testing within a month.

Janet Rosen
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Thank you all...waiting for sample swatches....hope to have a first one in beta testing within a month.
Bumping this thread... curious how it went...
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Hi, Anthony - two of three beta tests are done and being very happily worn in my local dojo - the third and final beta test JUST started getting measured and cut today for sending across the continent. This is for the TOP only - at custom sewing prices, folks who wear a hak are not interested in custom pants to wear under!
So far all 3 are cut in the judo style but I can easily adapt to a karate style. The 100% hemp is an amazing fabric to work with - a real pleasure.

Photos at my flickr site.
Price has worked out to be $140 for the top; for extra large sizes I may need to add a modest surcharge (sleeve edge to sleeve edge over 58" or shoulder to hem length over 36").

I'm going to start proofing a pants pattern within the month, looking at a less expensive, lighter weight fabric for pants, not all hemp but a hemp-cotton blend, for those who do want a full upper/lower set. I'm thinking to do the pants with an elastic waistband w/ drawstring inside, like sweatpants have, but of course if anybody wants a plain drawstring....
OH! I also bought a small quantity of 100% hemp herringbone in BLACK for any koryu folks (or New Yorkers? :-) )

Janet Rosen
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Hi, Anthony - two of three beta tests are done and being very happily worn in my local dojo - the third and final beta test JUST started getting measured and cut today for sending across the continent. This is for the TOP only - at custom sewing prices, folks who wear a hak are not interested in custom pants to wear under!
So far all 3 are cut in the judo style but I can easily adapt to a karate style. The 100% hemp is an amazing fabric to work with - a real pleasure.

Photos at my flickr site.
Looks pretty neat. I'm aware of hemp's durability over cotton however I'm a heavy sweater so a concern for me would be absorbency. Any comments on hemp v. cotton on that regard?

Regards,
Anthony
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Looks pretty neat. I'm aware of hemp's durability over cotton however I'm a heavy sweater so a concern for me would be absorbency. Any comments on hemp v. cotton on that regard?

Regards,
Anthony
I'm told hemp is preferable. HERE is a link to info on its properties.

Janet Rosen
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Really nice looking dogi. Looks very professional. I'm impressed!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
EzD
United_States

Is the dogi ready for sale? I am curious as to how one may submit an order...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Janet Rosen

Thank for comments and questions. Since I don't want this to turn into a "sales storefront" because I don't think that's how Jun wants aikiweb used, here is general info on the process: These are custom made at my home studio. It starts w/ me snail-mailing fabric swatches so a person sees/feels fabric before proceeding. Then there is a measurement chart (it is on the flickr site and also can be emailed or taken from a url). Then we figure out any specific design issues (moving the vent, shaping the inner yoke, whatever) and I provide a final price based on that plus a projected shipping date. When I receive a deposit, I sew like a demon :-) and when I get final payment it goes to the post office.
My business email is zanshinart@yahoo.com

Janet Rosen
Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
kewms

From the pictures, it looks like it has a softer drape, more like a soft denim than the heavy BuJin-style canvas. Is that accurate?

Thanks!

Katherine
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Hi, Katherine - yes, especially for the herringbone, which is a lighter weight fabric than the plain twill; it has an incredibly soft "hand" - the wonderful paradox of hemp fabric is that is gets drapier in its feel with use and washing but is not actually having its fibers get weaker.
I would describe it as feeling somewhere between a midweight denim and a cotton flannel. I did a gi top using just the plain twill, which is a heavier weight fabric - being a twill it going to be more like a denim than like a canvas, but the jacket does seem to have more structure to it than the herringbone. I'm going to be emailing the fellow who is wearing it to find out if it also got to drape more once he'd laundered it a couple of times.
BTW, I've worn my pants to the dojo a couple of time now and have to sit down w/ graph paper, rulers, calculator, etc and figure out the yardage requirements, then figure out what fabric to do them in.... I think the 100% hemp is both too heavy and too pricey for the pants so will probably be doing a hemp-cotton blend for pants.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 11-10-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add a sentence

Janet Rosen
Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
Arkanjel

Dojo: USA Martial Arts / Lehigh, FL
United_States

Taken from Hemp Defined:

Quote:
Hemp fiber possesses properties similar to other bast fibers (flax, kenaf, jute and ramie) and excels in fiber length, strength, durability, absorbency, antimildew and antimicrobial properties.
I thought the last little bit was worth noting considering how much we sweat in our dogi.

With as much hemp comes out of the East Im suprised it isnt a more obvious choice than cotton?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Simon Rivers wrote: View Post
With as much hemp comes out of the East Im suprised it isnt a more obvious choice than cotton?
What would be awesome would be to see the mills in Pakistan that actually weave all the fancy judogi fabrics do some in the Chinese hemp....

Janet Rosen
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
Arkanjel

Dojo: USA Martial Arts / Lehigh, FL
United_States

Quote:
What would be awesome would be to see the mills in Pakistan that actually weave all the fancy judogi fabrics do some in the Chinese hemp....
Maybe (if enough of us voiced our desire) they would. Im wondering if they wouldnt do a small run for an individual such as yourself.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Simon Rivers wrote: View Post
Maybe (if enough of us voiced our desire) they would. Im wondering if they wouldnt do a small run for an individual such as yourself.
I had researched this 9 yrs ago when setting up Zanshin Art. Way out of my league, scale-wise.
Actually, for custom sewing on a high end electronic home machine, as opposed to on an industrial machine w/ its separate motor, just as happy not to be wrestling with and pressing/flat felling real judogi weaves :-)

Janet Rosen
Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
Janet Rosen

By the way, am about to deliver a beta test of pants to a dojomate. Did them up in 100% organic unbleached cotton canvas I use for the baby gi - the first pair I've been wearing to train in are great. Also have a 70% organic cotton/30% hemp blend, bleached quite bright white, available for pants or for baby gi.

Janet Rosen
Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
AmandaBaker

I'm another potential taker!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #24
Janet Rosen

As I sometimes receive inquiries from people looking for hemp keikogi, which I stopped making a few years ago, here are two small businesses run by budoka, doing very nice custom keikogi. I have seen their garments in use on the mat and believe them to be of very good quality.
http://jenddesigns.com/
http://www.budonevadatailoring.com/

Janet Rosen
Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #25
TheOneNamedDan
Dojo: Portland Aikido
United_States

Quote:
As I sometimes receive inquiries from people looking for hemp keikogi, which I stopped making a few years ago, here are two small businesses run by budoka, doing very nice custom keikogi. I have seen their garments in use on the mat and believe them to be of very good quality.
http://jenddesigns.com/
http://www.budonevadatailoring.com/
I can vouch for Jen D to anyone reading. Got my Gi from her this year and I love it. It feels better than any other Gi I have ever worn, no matter the style.