Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Declan
Ireland
Which Hakama??

Hi all, im goin buying my 1st hakama today on the net and after spending ages deciding i still dont know, iv got a bujin suit so was either gona go with a bujin or tozando, any of your opinions much appriciated, thanks guys
Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom
Re: Which Hakama??

Hi Declan
Go with Tozando, I have purchased 3 Hakama's from them and never been disapointed.
They shiped them to the UK with no problems.
I was told when they would arrive, they were spot on.
Cheers
Pete Brown
Old 02-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Bujin Design has fine hakamas ranging from light to heavy. Inbetween works very well. My personal rule was to patch a hakama once, and then get a new hakama when the patches were worn through. Generally, that is about five years time, with heavy use. In gassho
Old 02-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Which Hakama??

I handmade my first two hakama, which lasted me about 5 yrs. each. Don't recommend it though.

Bujin makes high quality hakama, it's what I have now. If you check their "Clearance Rack" you might find a good deal. Their website is very thorough about guiding you through what measurements to take.

I'm not familiar with Tozando, and can't figure out how much they cost.

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
KaitlinCostello

United_States

Been there, taken both roads. I've made six Hakama, and came away with six major migraines, but workable pieces of attire. Denim was an interesting experiment in trying to come up with a street worthy version -l-.

I absolutlely love my BuJin Hakama. I was attracted to it initially because they were offering a hakama specifically for women. I've trained in a mens hakama ( mix up- its a long funny story) and I can't complain at at ( until the moment I notice my Hakama go flying by me and thought 'gee that looks like my peace sign on the hem...'" I like the heavy duty cotton build, its got the ability to take a punch and keep on going.

Best of Luck,
Ellie

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~
Old 02-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Raspado
Dojo: Gracie Barra Tampa
United_States

Bujin!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Tozando!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
nathansnow

Dojo: Ryokukai
United_States

Have you ever considered a Mitsuboshi hakama. You'll have to look them up on the web and call in an order to Japan.

Just another thought!

Nathan Snow
Michigan
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Meirin.

www.budogu.com ...

Old 02-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
SmilingNage
United_States

Iwata,
Love my indigo hakama. I have the heavy weight cotton and its lasted 7 long years. All I have done is replaced both knees(make sure you a tailor capable of pulling off such a feat. You cant tell mine were patched. BTW I found the material to patch the knees at the rag shop and it didn't need to be dyed to match the hakama).The koshita is getting worn and is need of fixing.
The downside, they are expensive(but they are top end) and you have to deal with the smurfing effect. You will spend the 1st couple of weeks dealing with the blue dye wearing off on you, your gi, your partners gi, the mat. The dye needs to be set in the fabric so make sure you have done this and your partners will thank you for it. Also the iwata is cut different so folding it is a true test of patience and skill.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

Bujin makes an excellent hakama. As always go for the heavy cotton. In my experience, it holds its lines better than the iwata, and much easier and forgiving to fold. My bujin was a hand me down. Both knees were replaced 2x and the koshita was repaired using the bujin koshita repair kit they offer.
It is now retired, it was stepped upon and ripped down one of the side seams and the koshi had developed a horizontal tear. Its beyond salvage and is living a much deserved retired life. Just cant bring myself to throw it out.

I prefer the heavy weight cotton. Its harder to keep the folds and fight the wrinkles, but the feel is an experience.
No experience with the cotton/poly blend.
Dislike the poly hakama, But it is cheap and holds its folds/lines. Very low maintenance, weighs next to nothing.

I hope that helps.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.