Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Pankration90
United_States
Aikido Books...

I know you can't learn a martial art from a book and that training with an instructor is better, but it will take a long time to try all the styles that I would be interested in learning about.

Can anyone recommend a good (and affordable) book on aikido? I'm particularly interested in tomiki/shodokan or yoshinkan aikido because I want to see the techniques and their applications for fighting, and less of the philosophy.

I guess I'm kind of looking for a book that stays away from philosophy when possible and focuses on the 'martial' side of aikido.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido Books...

I have this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=books&st=*
I think Shioda Sensei was the founder of the Yushinkan variety of Aikido.

It has very nice pictures in it.

Kev.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Phillip Kirkan wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good (and affordable) book on aikido? I'm particularly interested in tomiki/shodokan or yoshinkan aikido because I want to see the techniques and their applications for fighting, and less of the philosophy.
As far as Shodokan goes, the 'master work' is Tradition and The Competitive Edge by Fumiaki Shishida and Tetsuro Nariyama. (In Japanese, its title is the rather less catchy "Aikido Classroom".)

For Yoshinkan, I'd guess the definitive work would be Gozo Shioda's Total Aikido, although someone who knows more about Yoshinkan than I do will probably be along shortly.

Sean
x

Last edited by deepsoup : 10-29-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
crbateman

For the Yoshinkan perspective, I can recommend the following:

"Total Aikido" by Gozo Shioda

"Aikido Shugyo" (Means Aikido Intensive Training - It's an English language book) by Gozo Shioda

"Yoshinkan Aikido - Introduction to Basics - Volumes 1 and 2" by Kioichi Inoue (Current Kancho of the Yoshinkan system)

All these books should be readily available.

That said, don't let your slant on Aikido come from a book. Get out to the dojos and experience it firsthand. And don't be overcome by the urge to compete. Your only competition should be with yourself. Aikido is about not about
Old 10-29-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
Stick

Try "Complete Aikido," by Roy Suenaka. He includes detailed discussion of aikido's practical efficacy in a "street" situation, highlighted by first-person stories of same, particularly accounts of being challenged when he opened the first successful aikido school in Okinawa. Suenaka Sensei has also studied extensively in other arts, including karate and ju-jutsu -- he continues to teach karate in addition to aikido -- and so brings a more broad martial perspective to his teaching and accounts than one who has studied aikido exclusively.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #6
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hey Folks,

I'd just like to second Sean's submission of Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge for Shodokan reading. Another possibility is Aikido and Randori by Scott Allbright of the U.K. To me this book is a good complement to the above.

For Yoshinkan, I've read both Total Aikido and Dynamic Aikido, both very good texts.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 10-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I don`t mean this to sound terse, but if you use the site search function for books, you should find a number of old threads on the same question, with lots of books previously listed .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
Huker
Canada

I guess Westbrook and Ratti don't get much recognition here.
Heh.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
L. Camejo

Canada

Quote:
Tanner Hukezalie wrote:
I guess Westbrook and Ratti don't get much recognition here.
Heh.
Well based on the requirements of the original regarding info on Yoshinkan/Shodokan and the martial aspects of the training, I don't think Dynamic Sphere would be a first or even a third or fourth choice for that matter.

Just my opinion.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 11-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Pankration90
United_States

Thanks for the replies.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

"Total Aikido: The Master Course" by Gozo Shioda

"Aikido: Tradition and New Tomiki Free Fighting Method" by Nobuyoshi Higashi

"Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge" by Fumiaki Shishida and Tetsuro Nariyama

I'm planning on getting two of them, does anyone have any suggestions of which two of these I should get? I wish amazon.com would let you look inside the last one.

I'm basically just looking for some insight into aikido and possibly some techniques or ideas that could be useful in grappling (I'm doing wrestling right now but when the season is over I'm moving back into BJJ/submission grappling). Wrist locks are something that I don't know much about but that I think could be useful in sub grappling (such as after a failed attempt at an arm lock when you still have control of their arm). I know there is more to aikido than wrist locks and I'd like to see that, too. Which book shows the techniques the clearest and describes them best?

Sorry Bryan, but I didn't think there would be any threads about books for shodokan/tomiki and yoshinkan so I just decided to start one.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #11
L. Camejo

Canada

Hi Phillip,

Number 1 and number 3 would be my advice. I have both.

Total Aikido gives a great layout of the Yoshinkan system and how everything from basics to techiques are done.

Tradition and the Competitive Edge is pretty much a masterpiece as far as the Shodokan stuff goes. Pretty much a parallel to what is covered Total Aikido taken from a Shodokan perspective.

LC