Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
looking for info on fatal and serious injuries

I've been looking for URLs or some online documents on fatal and serious aikido injuries and so far I've only been able to find a few (which may be a good sign). Unfortunetly, I do remember reading somewhere that there have been numerous death during practice and the info that I've found doesn't reflect that.

I'm interested in descriptions of the injuries and what were the circumstances surrounding the accident. Off the top of my head, I can recall several, namely about a woman in the US who got paralyzed after colliding with an uke and a university student in Japan who died from injuries to the brain after his head struck the mat during vigorous applications of shiho nage.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
www.aikidojournal.com has an article on that...

If I recall correctly 11 incidents overall.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
akiy

The article to which Aleksey refers is here:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...?ArticleID=497

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
Erik
Quote:
Off the top of my head, I can recall several, namely about a woman in the US who got paralyzed after colliding with an uke
This happened here in California. The person was warming up and another student rolled into her. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stanley Pranin took a really hard line on this one but I'm not certain it wasn't just one of those stupid things that happen but then, neither he nor I, were there.

I would also add that serious injuries might not always make it into the news. For instance, I know of one case where a stroke was caused as a result of practice. A person was kicked in the throat and a day or two later a blood clot led to the stroke. I doubt many outside of the dojo ever heard about this one.

I'll just say that every year produces at least a couple of deaths from football and all things considered we are probably pretty safe.