Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #51
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Morihei Ueshiba: Untranslatable Words

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Wow - I wonder if that's part of Google's personalization settings, it comes up fine for me.
That's not Google. Just some very long ago French courses.

Quote:
Anyway, I still think that gold is "or", not "argent"...
Yeah, gold is or and argent is money but how fluid those two are in actual usage, I don't know.

FWIW

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #52
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
pont = bridge
d' = contraction of de before a vowel = of. The particle de is just the way to express the genitive. Like jus d'orange = juice of orange = orange juice.
argent = silver (money is a derived meaning)
monnaie = coins
or = gold

French is one of the languages everyone in the Netherlands learns for some years in school (4 years in my case). My French is good enough to manage on vacation, but I would expect that Tom speaks French fluently as he obviously lives in France. Also, his name is Dutch or Belgian, which suggests he also learned French in school even if he moved to France as an adult.

Still, pont d'argent is simple to translate, and I'd expect any French translator to translate it as either silver bridge or money bridge, depending on the context.
I don't see how it could be bridge money (whatever that means). I think bridge money would be argent de pont.
Yeah, I think "money bridge" is closest.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #53
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
That's not Google. Just some very long ago French courses.

Yeah, gold is or and argent is money but how fluid those two are in actual usage, I don't know.

FWIW

David
Ah, I got it - I thought that you were getting different results out of Google Translate.

Of course, "pont d'argent" and "silver bridge" (in this case) are both translations from the Japanese 銀の橋 - which is a play on the Floating Bridge....

Best,

Chris

Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #54
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Are you sure? I tried the link (which runs the entire page through Google Translate), and I tried plugging just that phrase into Google Translate directly, and they both translated the phrase correctly - "Silver Bridge".

And wouldn't "gold" be "or"? (of course, it's been a long time since high school french ).

Best,

Chris
You are correct, argent is of course silver.
I did not put in the phrase for translation, was just reading the translated page as you had linked it.
On that page "Bridge money" and "golden bridge are mentioned in two following sentences.

It is not an important point, just thought it was curious to see google translate in an incorrect way, while the topic was Untranslatable Words.

Tom
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #55
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
You are correct, argent is of course silver.
I did not put in the phrase for translation, was just reading the translated page as you had linked it.
On that page "Bridge money" and "golden bridge are mentioned in two following sentences.

It is not an important point, just thought it was curious to see google translate in an incorrect way, while the topic was Untranslatable Words.

Tom
Ah...in the quotation - must be a Google Translate quirk, the title "Silver Bridge" came out OK. Still have a little bit of time before translators are taken over by Google too

Best,

Chris

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #56
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
pont = bridge
d' = contraction of de before a vowel = of. The particle de is just the way to express the genitive. Like jus d'orange = juice of orange = orange juice.
argent = silver (money is a derived meaning)
monnaie = coins
or = gold

French is one of the languages everyone in the Netherlands learns for some years in school (4 years in my case). My French is good enough to manage on vacation, but I would expect that Tom speaks French fluently as he obviously lives in France. Also, his name is Dutch or Belgian, which suggests he also learned French in school even if he moved to France as an adult.

Still, pont d'argent is simple to translate, and I'd expect any French translator to translate it as either silver bridge or money bridge, depending on the context.
I don't see how it could be bridge money (whatever that means). I think bridge money would be argent de pont.
Now you are flattering me ! My French is really not that good and far from fluent. French was not my favorite language at school.

As far as the google translation is concerned; bridge money does not really make any sense to me either, so I just guessed it was sort of a direct translation of pont (bridge) and argent (money - and that not even being correct).

But it does show I think how easy things get lost in translation or get mixed up. Something we should always keep in mind when we read a translation of an originally Japanese text on Aikido.

Tom
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #57
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Even though it is my own post this rang a bell for a further thought.
Why can't everyone do this stuff?
It's basic....yet shodan to Shihan...you can't do it.
Why?
The answer and the solution, should unite us in friendship, not divide us.
Dan
Dan,
It may not be bad teaching. In the early eighties Tamura sensei did explain the things that he did. And he gave personal instruction, I practiced many times with him - Tamura sensei usually being uke. Could not move him either in the beginning (very frustrating!!!). I remember how he instructed about the scroll of the tiger, it was an eye-opener to me, but quite a number of people complained about these teachings; they felt that they did not get a proper training and these simplistic sums did not make any sense to them. They walked out - how can a teacher teach a student that walks out of the door? Next seminar they would be there again, doing their same old rough stuff.
Another problem was the growing number of participants. The teaching may not have been intrinsically bad, but how does one reach 300, 400 or even more students in one class?
Tom