Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #26
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Re: A good illustrated reference?

First, I want to second the recommendations of Doshu's books, Best Aikido, Progresssive Aikido, and the other one I can't recall the name of right now.

I also read Carol's book and found it very enjoyable, and quite good. I really liked the ecumenical persepctives! However, Doshu's books have more photos and I think they would be more useful for learning technique names. They're very clear and focused. And thanks for that tip, Carol! I look forward to competing with you on the bookshelves someday!

--Amelia

Last edited by Amelia Smith : 06-26-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
I'm looking for a good illustrated reference showing basic techniques, so that I can stop saying, "You know that thing where you step like that and turn like that and then extend over there and..." Anyone got one, preferably one currently in print? Or online?

TIA,

lbb
I didn't see your style anywhere in profile or introductions.

If I were just starting out again and I asked that question, I would like this response:

There's really not that many techniques. There's a limited number of attacks. A limited number of category of responses. If you know them (which you can find on this site), it all comes together when you see a new technique. Instead of saying "the technique where you do this or that" you start to say things like "front strike, 360 to 180, all direction" (for example).

You'll find that as you listen to the advanced people talk, they talk in that fashion. The only time I've found anyone veering from that type of description is when they can further identify it by it's test position (fifth kyu, number six).

My experience has been that there's plenty of techniques that are different but (for simplicity sake) have the same name.

On books. Carol Shifflet's book is one of the finest. It's one of the top ten on my shelf.

However, for your need, I'd go Total Aikdo: The Master Course. Even Carol Shifflet speaks highly of the technical side of it.

I love The Dynamic Sphere. But, I didn't understand hardly any of it of it until I had a couple years under my belt.

If I had it to do all over again, I would write down the techniques that were done during class. I'd memorize them and practice only them until the next class. I wouldn't pick up a single book for atleast a year.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
Suru
United_States

Give Mitsugi Saotome's Principles of Aikido a chance. I never read it because, as was mentioned, I also would rather learn on the mat, but for those who can learn from a book, I've flipped through other's copies enough to say this is a good one.

Drew
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
Bobby Cottle

Dojo: 心和会 in 飯田橋
Japan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Several people in my dojo has the Aikido3D and they absolutely love it! Amazingly I was the one that brought the information about this software before it came out to the dojo and yet I didn't purchase it.
I like the software. Excellent concept, well-executed.

The only complaint I have is not something most others would care about: his Japanese pronunciation is so bad it constantly makes me wince.

Fortunately, 99% of the dialogue is in English, and his English is quite pretty.

Definitely recommend this as a reference work.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden

I also love Ratti's artistic illustrations in ADS, but I'm not that fond of the text. I think Ratti's art work is the main reason the book is still sold and used.
The numbering of the attack forms was standard when I started with aikido in the early 1970's. I guess that several Japanese teachers found it more simple to teach us numbers than the Japanese terminology. For the aikido techniques, though, we used the Japanese names, and no numbers.

As for Aikido books for dummies, so to speak, I guess there is none that makes it possible to actually learn a technique through photos, but several that work fine as reminders for the practicing aikido student.

I think of Kisshomaru Doshu's book Aikido from the 1960's, republished and edited in a number of ways, also by the present Doshu. I also think of Saito sensei's series of books from the 1970's. I believe they were five in all, including a lot of techniques with the bokken and jo as well.
There are many others.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd