Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Tadhg Bird

Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton, CA
United_States
Do symbol Ten Ai Ko

"Love one another" -- Jesus Christ, John 13:34
"With a boundless heart should one cherish all living beings." -- Buddha, The Metta Sutra
"God is Love" -- The Apostle John, 1 John 4:8
"God Loves" -- John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
"Budo must give happiness and joy to the partner. It must be the budo of love." -- Morihei Ueshiba O Sensei, quoted by Michio Hikitsuchi Sensei.

Earlier this year, I had a devastating depression. It interfered with all my life activities, including teaching and training in Aikido. I was off the mat for about three months. When I returned, I surprised myself and those around me. I kept my breath for the entire class, and my technique was actually kind of decent. One fellow student called my kokyu nage "awesome" and though, I humbly disagree with him, it was better than what I think it should have been after a three month absence.

After class, he asked me how my technique was as good as it was after such a long break. My mind, heart, and mouth answered with barely any hesitation, "I've spent the past three months cultivating love." I had not realized this myself, until my whole being had spoken it.

I was diagnosed as manic-depressive when I was 15 years old, after being in and out of hospitals for depression for about a year. Today they call the disease Bipolar Disorder. I take medication to treat my condition, but it is only that -- a treatment, not a cure. Sometimes the medicine fails me, and I have severe mood swings. I have lived with this condition now for more than half my life.

This latest depression was one of three or four life-altering depressions. All others landed me in hospitals, suicidal. But there was something different about my life this time. When before, I had no one to be accountable to, suicide seemed a viable option, this time I had a wife, a son, and a best friend that I was not willing to abandon. I was told by a friend who works in psychiatric hospitals, that he notices that suicidal people are focused on themselves, I on the other hand was now focused on other people more than myself. As I loved them, they loved me in return, and I discovered the life-saving ability of love.

The love of those around me, and the love I gave in return eventually saw me through my depression and 3 months after it had come on me, I could finally begin to live my life again. I came through this experience a changed man. The true power of love before this time was academic to me, now I had experienced its reality in a depth I had never imagined.

This love has stayed with me, I can feel a light in my chest that I think is the touch of the divine. It is a Love Supreme.

Before my depression my Sensei, John Smartt and I had a short chat as to what "real Aikido" was. I voiced the supposition that a technique that was truly non-violent, non-injurious, and non-resistant was true Aikdo. He told me it was a good insight, but the real answer was that real Aikido happens when your motivation is love. I accepted that, and thought it was academic. Love on the mat was difficult, so I thought I would still work on non-violence, non-injury, and non-resistance. When I returned to the mat, it was no longer just a theory, I discovered how to love while doing Aikido. When my motivation was love, the non-violence, non-injury, and non-resistance manifested with no effort from me.

I think I may have discovered the "budo of love" O Sensei told Hikitsuchi about. I may have discovered the love supreme that Coltrane knew. I may have discovered the God of John the apostle. I may have discovered the boundless heart the Buddha spoke of. I may have discovered the love for others that Jesus implored. Maybe I have discovered that there is no difference between any of these. All I know for sure, is that I am not yet finished discovering what this heavenly love light in my chest is all about.

"Words and letters can never adequately describe Aikido -- its meaning is revealed only to those who are enlightened through hard training." -- Ueshiba Morihei O Sensei
--

http://www.AikidoStuff.com
Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
Tadhg Bird

Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton, CA
United_States
Re: Ten Ai Ko

Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to this thread on the off chance that someone does reply...

"Words and letters can never adequately describe Aikido -- its meaning is revealed only to those who are enlightened through hard training." -- Ueshiba Morihei O Sensei
--

http://www.AikidoStuff.com
Old 05-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Ten Ai Ko

Compliments to your insight.

In both Aikido and psychology the old saying, "where ever the head goes the body follows", applies.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!