Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #76
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: The Descent of Aiki

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
His chest were as if it were an old woman's breasts hanging down. Although he was the age of 80's in those days, I could imagine that he had real muscles of iron at his prime of manhood. If you doubt my story, you should check a photograph of O'Sensei's naked figure to the waist in page 20 of Budo-- Teaching of the Founder of Aikido by Morihei Ueshiba, published in 1991 by Kodansha International, Tokyo."
short interruption of a serious discourse with a light dose of irrelevant discourse.

methink, had O Sensei lived today, and with your description of his chest, i believed he would be a good candidate for "Le Bro" such as these http://inventorspot.com/articles/men..._endowed_20078
I think i might need one or two as well, as mine is getting saggy as i aged. gravity is a bitch! so does the pink one hold up better than the black one? with wire support or without?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #77
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
@Niall
Thanks for your respect towards my opinion and your constructive comment. really helpful...

@Graham. I am not sure what you mean. Would you care to explain a bit further?
Hi Tim.
First your comment on good teacher doesn't equate with lot's of students. A teacher who starts a way and it spreads in such a way as Aikido did is actually a Great Teacher.

The main point though which I think you are referring to is my comment on what about if there is good?

It's not a joke, it's real. Whether a technique or move is good or not is not a matter conjecture or different expectations etc. It's a matter of honesty.

You know without a shadow of doubt when your application was good. The uke knows without a shadow of doubt when an application done is good. Those watching are quite irrelevant really.

That's all.

Regards.G.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #78
amand
Armenia

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
One thing - "Chinese" descent, of approximately 400 years previously. The Hoshina were very definitely Japanese in culture, and recognized as such. This is analogous to Saddam Hussein having an Albanian wife, and she brings her family, and they get some kind of court rank and become naturalized Iraqi - and 300 or 400 years later, we have . . (?) The question would be if they truly did retain anything they brought over centuries before.

I got one verbal communication that the Hoshina had, at some time in the past, their own kenjutsu, and that they used an "odd" katana, with a shorter, very broad blade.

That's all I got. Which is why I put it at the end of the book - just for the enjoyment of the possibility - of something we may never find the answer. But if some researcher ever was, with fluent Japanese, able to somehow make a link with this still aristocratic family (and remember, the branches that survived are not the Aizu, who were decimated in the Boshin War (See HIPS on that) - and get them to open up about their family secrets, who knows what might come out?

Best
Ellis
Hi Ellis
A local historian in Aizu found out Sokaku learned Aiki from a Soothsayer who learned Shugendo not from Hoshina.
he researched about Sokaku pretty well.check this site.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ikezuki2
Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #79
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Hugh I thought your idea for the thread was sensible and constructive even if I don't agree with a lot of the things that were said.

I used the sidebar discussion about O Sensei as one of the themes in my blog this week.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #80
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Hi Tim.
First your comment on good teacher doesn't equate with lot's of students. A teacher who starts a way and it spreads in such a way as Aikido did is actually a Great Teacher.

The main point though which I think you are referring to is my comment on what about if there is good?

It's not a joke, it's real. Whether a technique or move is good or not is not a matter conjecture or different expectations etc. It's a matter of honesty.

You know without a shadow of doubt when your application was good. The uke knows without a shadow of doubt when an application done is good. Those watching are quite irrelevant really.
I am not sure about that. Can everybody really detect openings in the technique?

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #81
Eric in Denver
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

Quote:
I am not sure about that. Can everybody really detect openings in the technique?
Currently, the way I see it is both uke and nage have a sensitivity to techniques. If nage is more sensitive than uke and can create a technique below the level of sensitivity of uke (ie, so that uke can't really feel what is going on), then it will appear that there are no openings in the technique. I think this is one of the keys to getting musubi. Although I suck at musubi and aiki, so there you go.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #82
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Marc
If it ever does get published...cough...there might be some interesting stories there as well. I think this supports the points I hade made. Your opening comment from your teacher was "when he stayed in Tokyo...." Go back and read the interviews of all the people who had these personal one-on-ones with him either stated or implied as "everyday" when it was after he retired. It's no big deal to me just another talking point. These unverified stories, (I'm not calling your teacher a liar, it's just that it is, after all, just his story), and the interviews and events that actually do verify things, call into question statements that contradict many of the more popular stories. When we add in lousy translations, myth making from the aikikai, banning and rewriting of history, there isn't much to really hang your hat on.

While I do indeed find all of this interesting, in a culture like Japan, I don't trust much of what people say or do. Frankly the entire history of the system of aiki from Takeda to the modern era seems rather bizarre and weird. I don't invest much in the information offered; either from lineage or the personalities involved either way.
Cheers
Dan
Dan:

Stanley did publish this in the old, printed Aikido Journal. The edited version took 2 volumes. Imaizumi Sensei is so exacting, he had stuff in there like the flight number of the plane he first took to the US and the exact time that it landed....

Check with Stanley, this information was vetted. I agree with you in how people can mis-state things. Imaizumi Sensei's diaries are so exacting that it would include the exact days that O'Sensei was there!

Regards,

marc
Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #83
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Woah, slow down Tim.

First let's stick to what I said. It's a matter of honesty for you do know when you do something which was good and so does uke.

So what has that got to do with openings? That's a different subject.

Now if your aim is to see the openings and take advantage of openings then you will know if you did or didn't. Simple really. Once again a matter of honesty.

Personally I think openings would be a discussion of it'self. So much talk about it as if it's the correct thing to say but what does it mean? What's the purpose?

In my opinion unless you're well versed in principles and their application then discussing openings always sounds good but is a waste of time.

Regards.G.