Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Mike Sigman DVD's

I am looking for someone who owns the three DVD's Mike Sigman put out quite a while ago. If anyone has them could you please e-mail or PM me? Thanks.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Mike Sigman DVD's

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
I am looking for someone who owns the three DVD's Mike Sigman put out quite a while ago. If anyone has them could you please e-mail or PM me? Thanks.
- George
Just to save folks time and effort, I am aware that Plum Flower sold these videos but they are currently not operating.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Just to save folks time and effort, I am aware that Plum Flower sold these videos but they are currently not operating.
Not till September anyway.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
dmclean
Canada

Has anyone seen these videos who'd care to give a review? There's alot of talk on these various forums about this subject and very few options for getting even some basic exposure unless you're conveniently located near one of these guys or have the option to travel to a seminar.

I know there must be some review thread out there, but a quick search doesn't pick much up.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
DH
United_States

What they cover you can probably learn in a day at a seminar. Mike isn't too fond of them anymore either (we all grow and also learn how to teach better) but he sold the rights I believe a long time ago. Isn't it wonderful to be caught forever -on film!!!
I think were he here he would rather see you go to a seminar. I think most folks can save up to go to a seminar these days. If you've never trained this way, I think a weekend with Mike will change the way you think and are willing to approach the martial arts for the rest of your life.
Were I unfamiliar with this type of training I would tell people to cancel spending money on everything you do in the martial arts-if that is what it takes-to get to a seminar with one of these guys. It will change your martial arts forever.
I know a lot of folks don't like Mike's on line persona-I don't either. But look, every...single...person who trains with him, talks about what a great guy he is in person, and that he is a wealth of knowledge.

If you are even remotely aikiweb aware, you know Mike and I can't stand each other What does it tell you to see me, recommending training with him?
Screw the DVD's and pay to go see the man in person.

So, a weekend with guys who know these things, is just simply going to affect you so profoundly that you will simply pursue it further. Were I have to choose between all the martial arts in the world combined, or this...I'd take this. It's the single greatest advantage in the world. And its a key to good health in your old age.

Now...place a value on sacrificing a little to get it?

Lucky for us we can have both -with proper planning

Last edited by DH : 08-29-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
MM
United_States

I will echo Dan's remarks about Mike. Here's my experience:

I met Mike in DC for a short training session. And I went to Mike's seminar at Itten dojo.

Mike is a superb teacher with excellent skill. He gets people to do things in a short amount of time that they hadn't done before. And he knows in an instant just where to correct someone by understanding where, in their body, they are having trouble.

He has always been forthcoming and generous in his teaching for the level you are at. And no, that doesn't mean he holds back, it just means that there are a good many levels of what he can actually do, but to get there, you have to have a solid basis in other things. So, he doesn't waste your time (and his) by trying to teach you something that you can't do yet. (Sort of like wanting to be a fighter pilot but never have been near a plane. You have to understand basic flying skills before you can do aerobatics.) But, he will show you things that you can strive for.

And in person, Mike's great. Can't say enough how nice of a guy he was both times I trained with him. Great conversations, too.

And power? Off the scale. He is one of the few people that I really never, ever want to get hit by. Fight ending, life ending power from very, very small distances. Skill? Great googly moogly, yes. I think I'd rather get served tea by Ellis than go up against Mike.

And he asked questions about the Itten workshop to the participants. Someone who didn't care or wasn't really interested in helping other people would never have asked the questions he did.

I don't care how anyone here thinks of Mike Sigman from reading his posts. Get out there to meet him, because if you just go by the shallowness of the blips on the screen, then you're missing out on a treasure worth a lot more than gold.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I will echo Dan's remarks about Mike. Here's my experience:

I met Mike in DC for a short training session. And I went to Mike's seminar at Itten dojo.

Mike is a superb teacher with excellent skill. He gets people to do things in a short amount of time that they hadn't done before. And he knows in an instant just where to correct someone by understanding where, in their body, they are having trouble.

He has always been forthcoming and generous in his teaching for the level you are at. And no, that doesn't mean he holds back, it just means that there are a good many levels of what he can actually do, but to get there, you have to have a solid basis in other things. So, he doesn't waste your time (and his) by trying to teach you something that you can't do yet. (Sort of like wanting to be a fighter pilot but never have been near a plane. You have to understand basic flying skills before you can do aerobatics.) But, he will show you things that you can strive for.

And in person, Mike's great. Can't say enough how nice of a guy he was both times I trained with him. Great conversations, too.

And power? Off the scale. He is one of the few people that I really never, ever want to get hit by. Fight ending, life ending power from very, very small distances. Skill? Great googly moogly, yes. I think I'd rather get served tea by Ellis than go up against Mike.

And he asked questions about the Itten workshop to the participants. Someone who didn't care or wasn't really interested in helping other people would never have asked the questions he did.

I don't care how anyone here thinks of Mike Sigman from reading his posts. Get out there to meet him, because if you just go by the shallowness of the blips on the screen, then you're missing out on a treasure worth a lot more than gold.
AAargh! I wanted so much to hate the man.
Seriously though, I think that last paragraph is sage advise for all of us.
I'm just a little skeered that Mike will pound me into the ground if he ever sees me in person. Mike, if you're lurking, I look exactly like my avatar.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
- George
If you mean the ones where things like this is demonstrated then yes, I have them.

However, I don't think trying to learn bodyskills from video is a good idea. Anyway, you can PM if you want.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
dmclean
Canada

I'd love to take a weekend away, but it isn't in the cards currently. I know, I know ... if I really wanted to. But life is such that training is a luxury. Family first, then work, then hobbies. I don't like calling martial arts a hobby, but that's how I feel I have to describe it so everyone else who doesn't do it will understand.

Any seminars in Toronto by Mike or Dan in Toronto or Buffalo area in the future?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Mark and Dan are spot on. I agree with there advice and insights.

Mike is the sort of guy you hate to love. He won't BS you and he has no issue with telling you were you are in the process (or not). I like that. It also sucks that he was right about alot of thing that intially I really wanted him to be wrong about.

I couldn't imagine buying the DVDs and trying to do this without his hands on instruction.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
DH
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
If you mean the ones where things like this is demonstrated then yes, I have them.

However, I don't think trying to learn bodyskills from video is a good idea. Anyway, you can PM if you want.
Thats what I meant by basic information. That's probably part of day one as at seminar. When you compare even those simple beginner steps to what we see in the body movement of some of the recent self-proclaimed "masters" and even simply just watch their feet you see profoundly week structure. Structure that is obviously being compromised by their own movement in their own waza no less!!
Mike is exhibiting a simple static training device, thats all, One which demonstrates a connected structure, and one that I'd bet pales in comparison to what he displays now in free movement and power delivery. Suffice to say there are ways to teach it hands-on that are missing in a video, nor does it address how he probably chooses to teach now. So those who try to copy it from a video will end up looking even more like some of the videos recently on display.
Eee gads I'm complimenting Mike, someone check my temperature.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
MM
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Have you been drinking gimlets?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
The end is surely near, next you'll be singing the virtues of seated iai practice as in internal training paradigm... I'm just gonna go look out the windows for any flying pork now.

I suspect George is simply interested in what Mike chose to release on DVD, he's already had plenty of exposure to folks with "the goods" like Ark.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Confused Re: Mike Sigman DVD's

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Have you been drinking gimlets?
No, that was me. OK, it wasn't me, but if I had, it would explain why I'm performing unnatural acts like agreeing with Dan in public.

FL
Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
DH
United_States

Oh I just think you're finally succumbing to my irresistible good nature, Fred.
Just take it slow, so you don't sprain anything.