Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2002, 07:20 AM   #26
mike lee
Cool a dose of common sense

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for.
From my experience, more practice and less intellectualizing leads to greater understanding when skill is involved.

I would equate it to a physicyst who spends years trying to learn how to ride a bicycle through the use of theories and mathmatical formulas, while outside his window young children who are just learning how to add and subtract, quickly learn to ride with just a little practice and determination.

Even top racers like Lance Armstrong don't need a Ph.D. in physics to win the Tour de France.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:05 PM   #27
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: a dose of common sense

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
From my experience, more practice and less intellectualizing leads to greater understanding when skill is involved.

I would equate it to a physicyst who spends years trying to learn how to ride a bicycle through the use of theories and mathmatical formulas, while outside his window young children who are just learning how to add and subtract, quickly learn to ride with just a little practice and determination.

Even top racers like Lance Armstrong don't need a Ph.D. in physics to win the Tour de France.
"Bunbu ichi" - "military matters and literary matters are one". Fairly well known Japanese maxim, and one adhered to by many well known figures - where would we be if Morihei Ueshiba had forgone study with Deguchi in favor of training with Takeda? I wouldn't advocate skimping on practice in favor of intellectualizing, but in the same vein I wouldn't advocate skimping on intellectualizing in favor of practice either.

Lance Armstrong may not need a Ph.D. in physics to ride a bike fast, but if he ever wants to do more than that he'll have to put in some study time in addition to his physical training.

And before it comes up, if that's what you're trying to imply, I do actually train a fair amount - haven't had a single rest day in the last 3 months...

It's not the training that's so tough - it's those 20K runs in the Tokyo summers that are the hardest .

Best,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Li : 07-25-2002 at 04:10 PM.

Old 07-27-2002, 11:02 AM   #28
mike lee
Cool three-liner

Sitting next to pine

As mid-summer moon rises

Cicada keep time

Last edited by mike lee : 07-27-2002 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:16 PM   #29
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Thumbs down

I surrender to the moment, to the YES! of my life no matter its form.

~~Paula~~
Old 08-08-2002, 12:34 AM   #30
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: a dose of common sense

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:

Actually these days there is no one performing in athletics at the world class level who doesn't have an entire staff of experts supporting their training with the scientific expertise needed to optimize performance. Lance may not have a Phd but he almost certainly has folks who do working with him.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-08-2002, 03:53 AM   #31
Joshua Livingston

Re: One Liners

Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
gThere is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet.h

OK, without starting any religious wars, the above is a pretty good one line summation of Islam.

What would be your one line summation of Aikido and why? What I have in mind is a one line summation that grasps the central core or purpose of the art - I have a pretty good idea what I would say, but I'm curious as to what other people think...

Best,

Chris
(Through Aiki) Blend to create harmony.

(could be added)

First within one's self and then everything else as you become the universe.

Joshua Livingston
Aikido of Ashland (USAF)
Gold Coast Jujutsu
Capoeira Zambia Congo Group
Old 08-08-2002, 09:47 AM   #32
mike lee
Freaky! seeking corporate sponsorship

Quote:
Actually these days there is no one performing in athletics at the world class level who doesn't have an entire staff of experts supporting their training with the scientific expertise needed to optimize performance. Lance may not have a Phd but he almost certainly has folks who do working with him.
Great input George! Perhaps I'll hire an army of experts to support my aikido training. But since I'm not independently wealthy, I'll need a sponsor. Armstrong already has the US Postal Service -- perhaps the FBI or the CIA will sponsor me. If not, maybe I could entice some companies like Nike, Coke, or McDonald's. Of course then I'll have to wear their logos on my gi. Could end up looking like one of those Brazilian jujitsu guys! But hey, then I'd have a shot at being world class!

One-liner conclusion: Modern aikidoist need corporate sponsorship to progress in their art.

Last edited by mike lee : 08-08-2002 at 09:51 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!