Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Internet visible classes

My step son has set up a netmeeting system and I will be able to broadcast classes and hopefully seminars from the dojo to the internet so anyone can watch.

We have to overcome the firewall issue but should have it up and running on Thursday.

I did this for a couple of my remote instructors but it can also be used to watch seminars and classes.

The IP address will be 192.168.0.106.

If you have Windows XP go to run and type in config.exe. It will install net meeting.

We have a camera set up in the dojo and it should be able to broadcast video and audio.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Internet visible classes

That sounds way cool John. I will definitely stay tuned.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

John,

I know you mean well, but you may want to reconsider this, especially if you have any students who are in law enforcement. There may also be some on the mat who do not want their every move broadcast (or pod-cast) for all the world to view.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
My step son has set up a netmeeting system and I will be able to broadcast classes and hopefully seminars from the dojo to the internet so anyone can watch.

We have to overcome the firewall issue but should have it up and running on Thursday.

I did this for a couple of my remote instructors but it can also be used to watch seminars and classes.

If you have Windows XP go to run and type in config.exe. It will install net meeting.

We have a camera set up in the dojo and it should be able to broadcast video and audio.
This is an idea that has great appeal in some ways. I would caution you that there could be some resistance from senior teachers. Many of us are professional teachers. I can't really support myself on what the dojo alone brings in so I depend on seminar income for my living. I also have been developing a significant video business which augments my seminar income. All put together I just about get by.

I spend alot of time and effort developing the content I present to the students at the venues where I teach. I spend a lot of money on my own training so that I keep myself growing. My teaching supports that. When folks invite me to teach or buy my videos they are investing in my future efforts by supporting me. In return I deliver the best Aikido training I possibly can.

I, for one, would have a bit of a problem putting my stuff out there to folks who have made no investment of their time, money, and sweat to get the instruction. Right now, I will teach a seminar there may be a video that comes out of it. Folks can buy the video for quite a bit less than they would have had to pay to attend the seminar but they sacrifice the personal attention they'd get if they had been at the training so it's still a reasonable exchange. But simply putting my stuff out there for folks who are not my students, who have made no investment in myself as a teacher, and have to make no commitment of themselves beyond accessing the net is problematical for me. It is so for financial reasons in that I am undercutting myself by putting my stuff out there on the net like that and it is so for the reason that there is virtually no personal exchange, not even the exchange of information that takes place when someone buys my videos.

I think that many folks who have spent their entire adult lives mastering the principles of the art and learning how to teach it (not to mention how much financial investment they made in their training over the years to get there) would have some reluctance just to throw the stuff out onto the net for all to see without any need to make any investment of time, effort, or money on their parts.

On the other hand... if the technology could be harnessed in a commercial fashion, it could open up incredible possibilities. Right now, small dojos have a hard time hosting a senior teacher. it is too expensive. If they could subsidize participation with an on-line broadcast they could host anyone they wished. Seminars could be hosted which, not only could benefit the visiting instructor but could very well be profitable enough to to give significant support to the dojo itself.

Also, a teacher in a given dojo, who might always be on the edge of financial disaster, might be able to offer material this way that would make the difference financially. It might also be an excellent way for second tier teachers, who have not yet developed a significant reputation to put their stuff out there for folks to see. They might be able to get the exposure they need to start getting invitations to teach or to sell their own videos etc.It could be an excellent marketing opportunity if used correctly.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 09-25-2006 at 12:49 PM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
aikidoc
United_States

My error that is config.exe to set up te net meeting.

This is an interesting idea. If anyone wants to do this let me know and I'll get the details on how to set it up for you.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
aikidoc
United_States

I'm not sure I'm going to broadcast the seminar. That will depend on my sensei's approval. My initial idea was for my students to be able to see it. I have two that are not able to attend classes regularly due to location and they are teaching. It gives them access. I will obviously have to clear things with my students-no law enforcement at this time. Also, one of my student's wife is in Mexico. She should be able to watch his next kyu test which might be nice.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
aikidoc
United_States

To go further on this issue, I do understand the perspectives of those who make a living at the art. I unfortunately do not. We are a small school and I'm happy to pay the light bill.

However, there are many advantages from my perspective. For one, I can have a student of mine call or e-mail me to ask to cover a specific topic or area and I can do so. One is two hours away and the other about 8. The other advantage I see would be the capability from the other end of video testing real time. An instructor could set the same thing up on their end and I could watch the test. It is not great but at least I will know how they are doing testing.

I'm just throwing this out for ideas and thought others might be interested. I definitely understand the issues involved. I'm not high enough ranked to be selling my stuff anyway (: . Perhaps some day.

The camera is set up to record to the hard drive so I can download specifics to edit for instructional DVDs for my students. I doubt seriously many will be sitting down to watch me perform 5 days a week. I'm not that exciting. We work incessantly on kihon waza-although every now and then I get fancy. My students, however, are more likely to do so, especially the remote ones. It is also set up so that the focus is on the teaching area. Those who don't want to be on camera can train in a non-visible area.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
aikidoc
United_States

Another use is as a marketing tool. A prospective student can check us out to see if Aikido is what they are interested in doing as well. As George pointed out there are some other options. I do occasionally conduct regional seminars, which if someone likes what I'm doing it might turn into something more as a fund raiser for bringing in my sensei. As noted, small dojos have to raise the funds to get shihans to come out. We don't even have a decent Japanese restaurant in the area.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

192.168.0.106 is an address on your local network, not a publicly available internet address. For the broader internet to be able to see it, you need an address that doesn't start with 192.168.xxx.xxx.

Good idea though!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
MM
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:

Hello John,
Um, 192.168.0.106 is a non routable IP. It's designed for internal networks. Someone setting this up somewhere else won't be able to see your seminar. You'll need something else to point to, I believe.

Mark
Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
aikidoc
United_States

Thanks. My stepson is the internet wizard and that's what we've been doing on the local network. I'll remind him although I'm sure he knows. I will post it later. We still have to overcome a firewall isse.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
aikidoc
United_States

We've had to change our format and are working out some bugs but it appears to work.

We went with a free download of VLC and typed in the address set up. We are still testing to see if the sound works well and whether it drops or not when multiple users are on-testing that hopefully tonight. It will also allow me to load directly into the hard drive so I can do tapes for my association. I'll be able to copy and broadcast at the same time. Right now I am giving out the address only on a request basis if I arbitrarily feel the person is not going to misuse what I am doing and are interested in seeing the quality that can be achieved. This is primarily for my students at this time and it did cost me money to put it together.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

I think those who would watch said 'casts (like myself, mostly out of interest or boredom) would in no way think that this replaces actual training with those they are watching on their 17"-19"-21"-etc screens.

IF I could not attend a seminar that interested me, it would be the next best thing, but a pale substitute at best....and perhaps those who do make a living at teaching could tap into it as another revenue stream, say $10 to download the entire seminar.

Just some thoughts.

Mr. Riggs,
I would be interested in viewing/attending your netmeeting/broadcast, purely out of technical interest; could you please send me the information? Thank you.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
aikidoc
United_States

Technical problems apparently make it difficult for a bunch of people to watch at the same time so I am having to limit who's on at the same time. It kicks off.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #15
Nick P.

Wait a minute...

Is this still NetMeeting based? If it is, I remember seeing a Microsoft "knowledge" base article mentionning this problem; there is a finite number of connections (20?).
I can dig it up if you like, but our problem here at work was that no more users could connect. Is your problem they connect THEN get booted?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #16
Nick P.

~could not locate "Edit" button using either Opera 9 or IE6. Huh ~
Here it is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q243116

Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
aikidoc
United_States

Thanks Nick. We are using VLC or Media Player now. You are right. THere does seem to be a finite number of connections possible, especially with audio. Since I decided to do this primarily for students remote or locally, it should not be a problem. It worked nicely last night. The picture quality is a little pixelly but it was good enough to see what was going on if you kept the picture small-large was not as good.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

Here in Brazil there is a Dojo that broadcasts some classes on net. Visit www.aikidomaruyama.com.br . I think it is interesting to take a look.

Maruyama Sensei is a Rokudan, and his group is one of the largests in Brazil.