Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
Savlu
Re: Aikido: What it is, and what it is not?

Im also interested to join a martial art.
My uncle taught me a few techniques of Atemi and i really liked it, but in Portugal there are no schools of Atemi. So i would like to know if Aikido somehow looks like Atemi, or what is the martial art that looks more like Atemi.
Thx
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Raphael Savluchinske wrote:
.....i would like to know if Aikido somehow looks like Atemi, or what is the martial art that looks more like Atemi.
Thx
ATEMI means "striking". You're asking then what arts are striking arts, right?

Boxing, karate, TKD, etc.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Savlu

Does Aikido have many techiniques of Atemi?
I want to practice Atemi but no one teaches it in Portugal, so whats the martial art most close to Atemi?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Atemi

Primarily atemi only art = karate, boxing. I am sure they have these in Portugal right?

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Does Aikido have many techiniques of Atemi?
I want to practice Atemi but no one teaches it in Portugal, so whats the martial art most close to Atemi?
If your questions wasn't answered, then I'm not clear about what your asking.

Do you want some style of jujutsu which emphasizes ATEMI (if karate, etc., won't do...)?

What do YOU mean by ATEMI?

Thanks.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Savlu

Atemi-waza maybe thats the name.
Its like striking someone in key parts of the body, and not wasting any move.
I cant explain very well but i give you a link with atemi.
http://www.international-atemijujits...tis_atemi.html
http://members.aol.com/mastersoto/power.htm
Old 08-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Savlu

Putting fingers on the eyes, using elbows, knees, i dont think thats karate or boxe.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Many people have taken an aspect many martial arts and have turned it into an art. I find that strange. Atemi is striking which is a component of most if not all martial arts. There are specific arts that focus on striking vital points. Kyusho Jitsu/Tuite, or Okinawan Karate as some call it, is one art that focuses on atemi to vital/pressure points.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Savlu

"...is one art that focuses on atemi to vital/pressure points."
Does Aikido have a lot of that?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
Savlu

The definition of the Atemi im talking about is this:
Atemi strikes are aimed at key areas of the body: nerve endings, arteries running close to bone, organs, vulnerable joints like elbows and knees, fingers wrists and sensitive regions such as the eyes, ears and throat. These strikes can be made with virtually any part of the body, open hand, fist, fingers, elbow, toes, heel, knee, even your head - all are viable tools for attacking an aggressor's key atemi points you can even utilise every day objects such as keys or pens.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy

It will depend a lot on your Aikido style and your instructor how much atemi is stressed. Some styles stress it more than others. Some instructors like it more than others. Nihon Goshin Aikido (the in which style I train) stresses Atemi more than more traditional Aikido schools might.

You could always study a striking art and add those striking principles to your Aikido.

However, don't expect a karate school to teach you key vital targets on your first class. You must earn the trust and respect of your instructors and comrades before a teacher will show you any techniques that could maim or seriously injure someone.

Good luck in your search.

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #12
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Now I understand.

Master Soto and Atemi Ryu are a huge joke in the martials arts world. If I said total nutcase I would be putting it mildly.

http://members.aol.com/mastersoto/

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...ight=atemi+ryu

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 AM   #13
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Putting fingers on the eyes, using elbows, knees, i dont think thats karate or boxe.
Actually, there's a lot of that in karate and some instructors teach pressure points too. We just don't use these in competitions.

What about krav maga? I've heard it has lots of those vital point techniques? (Anyone?)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #14
O-Ren

Dojo: Aikido of Palestine
United_States

Shotokan Karate Do teaches allot of these techniques your looking for. Or Okinawan Shoin Ryu Matsomira Karate. I think thats how you spell it.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States

According to http://home.stny.rr.com/iama/az.html

" Atemi was developed in Asia thousands of years ago. In China it became known as dim mak, (death touch) while the Japanese, called it Atemi; a system of strikes and painful joint holds aimed at one of the central nervous system's 365 "pressure points." Paradoxically many of these points are also used in the healing art of acupuncture, which began its development at about the same time.

For many years it remained exclusively in China but as Chinese and Japanese cultures intermingled, the art migrated to Japan. The early masters spent many hours researching human anatomy in their quest for atemi perfection. They toiled over anatomical charts and experimented on prisoners of war and criminals. They immersed themselves totally in this learning, committing to memory their secret knowledge, refining it as they progressed and keeping the secrets of Atemi within the confines of their immediate families or clans.

During the 15th century, the samurai warriors began to assimilate Atemi strikes into their systems of battlefield unarmed combat - the martial arts. Atemi strikes gave them several advantages: Atemi strikes require no flamboyant stances, no flashy movement, they are direct and decisive. The samurai could employ a fatal blow quickly to end a life threatening confrontation or a use a quick disabling strike that would render the opponent helpless but alive for interrogation. - minimum power, little effort and maximum effect."

Seems as if they took some quotes directly from the same source heh.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Oh my god Peter, that website has nearly blinded me with its horribleness! Hokey Sokey indeed...

I think this is even better than Soke Le Clair's schoolf of self defence etc etc etc...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:10 AM   #17
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

I have never heard an instuctor talk about atemi in other than just saying "atemi to the face" before going into the attack. I didn't even know about pressure points. I doubt aikido is what you're looking for.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:16 PM   #18
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

I think someone named it above. Kyusho Jitsu, Okinawan Kempo, and even Kajukenbo use good Atemi.

If you want the focue to be on pressure point striking I suggest George Dillman affiliated schools.

If they do not have that, then look for Okinawan Kempo.

If you find Taki Ryu Shin Shin Jujitsu then you'll find George Dillmans affiliated Jujitsu classes. I don't think we have any schools there yet though.

Good luck

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #19
Dillon
United_States

Quote:
Sean Constable wrote:
According to [url]
During the 15th century, the samurai warriors began to assimilate Atemi strikes into their systems of battlefield unarmed combat - the martial arts. Atemi strikes gave them several advantages: Atemi strikes require no flamboyant stances, no flashy movement, they are direct and decisive. The samurai could employ a fatal blow quickly to end a life threatening confrontation or a use a quick disabling strike that would render the opponent helpless but alive for interrogation. - minimum power, little effort and maximum effect."
Trying to imagine armed and armored samurai battling furiously with deadly vital-point strikes...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #20
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Actually if you look at kenjutsu techniques meant to be performed against an armored opponent you see very precise placements on the weak points of the armor. Striking with hands also targets weak-points but they tend to be pretty obvious and not at all esoteric. No magic at all.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-22-2005, 07:22 AM   #21
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Peter,
Yeah, but I did get a good chuckle imagining an unarmoured warrior striking away at an armoured one.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #22
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
"...is one art that focuses on atemi to vital/pressure points."
Does Aikido have a lot of that?
I just had a thought! Perhaps you are looking for "dim mak"? The art of using pressure points to heal or generally destroy. Perhaps a quick google would help?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #23
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I had an excellent atemi used on me last night: Tori managed to put her hip and backside into my crotch very powerfully while entering for a koshinage. Ouch...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.