Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #151
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Spiritual Power

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
spiritual power.

For me personally, having had time to digest the thread is as simple as the flow of a river. ;-) (not that simple really is it?, but I love a paradox).

It is simply having the personal spiritual power to act decisively, honestly and with intent, when in the face of great danger, to you life or somebody elses. Because danger/fear, are paralysing.

It can be said as, "to be able to do the right thing".
you see a homeless person, and although you may be able to help in some small way, you ignore the reality and walk on by.

You see someone being beaten up in the street, you turn the other way and ignore it as if it is not happening, instead of doing something as simple as calling the police to say someone is being hurt can you please come and help, if you do not have the skills to break it up yourself, but you can still act.

If your intent is to act/help, and not ignore this reality, and to be able to do this with humility, and without a sense of personal gain, and the feeling of "this is the right thing to do", is this not true spiritual power.

Is this not what we teach in a very subtle way in the martial arts. Act even though you maybe putting yourself in danger, dont freeze and ignore the realities of life around you.

How simple this sounds, why is it so difficult in reality?

In peace

Andy B
I like it Andrew. As you like paradoxes let me mention zen, as in zen koans and actions done by zen charachters in stories.

I would say they seem like paradoxes but actually come from a place of oneness. Thus in your examples it is looked at from the view of what you consider help to be. But does that come from that ultimate oneness?

From oneness the enlightened zen monk may do something you may find hard to believe as help. Those type of things I too find fascinating as when I first watched a strange film part written by bruce lee called 'the silent flute'

Lets take the story you give of the homeless person in the street.

In true oneness you would become aware of the whole of that person and what they need beyond the apparency. Thus you would act accordingly.

I'll make up a story based on that. So this monk was walking by and noticed that the beggar had a great history of not being listened to and communicated to in any meaningful manner. He had tried to find out why and given up and all this had led to his current position.

The monk walked up to him and said 'Hello, how are you?'
The beggar felt quite overwhelmed and found himself talking away like to a long lost friend and telling him all about his life. At the end he felt something he couldn't really explain, an extreme joy. The monk said' It's been nice talking to you' wished him well and went on his way.

The beggar meanwhile realized the answer to his question and became enlightened and thus changed his life.

Ultimate Aikido perhaps.

Regards.G.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #152
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England

Exactly right, the monk did not ignore the reality, and probably already new the answer, but had to ask the question. How are you?

That my friend for me, was exactly what I was talking about. I did not mention anything about giving the homeless person money ;-)
I said you could help in some small way, how small an effort was it for the monk to ask the question? how nig was the effort to already know the answer?

It sums up exactly my last post exactly

Andy B

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 10-12-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: last line I made a mistake, it should read "ask the question"
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #153
DodgingRain

Interesting take on aikido..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kakushitoride
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #154
DodgingRain

I know someone else mentioned these guys before, but I think they are right up Graham's alley..
http://www.westlosangelesaikido.com/KakushiToride.html
Their training methodology is very interesting as well.

Much respect.