Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
tiberius
Adrenaline-based training?

Long time lurker here. I recall reading a thread years and years ago about people in the US who offered adrenaline-based training -- they put you in high stress situations, so you'd start getting tunnel vision, loss of fine motor control, etc, and teach you how to deal with it. Does anybody here have recommendations for anyone running this sort of training?

It doesn't necessarily have to be super martially-oriented. Looking back at my life, I've made some of my biggest mistakes/done some very dumb things when adrenaline kicked in and all my reasoning ability seemed to go out the window. None of those situations were outright fights - some were situations at work, others in personal relationships. I'd love to learn to handle myself better when it happens.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Michael Neal
Re: Adrenaline-based training?

I recommend a martial art that has competition like Judo or BJJ, you will learn to manage your adrenaline much better. The stress of competition really gets the adrenaline pumping and your body adjusts the more experience you have. But any martial art training will help some by increasing your confidence level.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 12-10-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Michael Neal

Aikido schools that do multiple partner randori would help as well,
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
tiberius

Thanks for the idea, but I have done aikido and also wrestled for many years, and I've found that even competition doesn't bring out the sort of adrenaline response I'm talking about. Maybe full-out MMA matches would, but I'm not a fan of getting my head pummeled.

I'm looking for something outside the traditional martial arts box. I wish I remembered the details of the original discussion that I saw here years ago.

EDIT: I'm talking about the sort of physical response you get when someone pulls a knife or a gun on you, or when you're alone at home and hear someone breaking in. Or -- totally different yet somehow similar -- when you're told you're likely to be fired from a job you badly need. I've had a very few situations of either sort, and lost my ability to reason, and done dumb things as a result.

I've never felt that debilitating sort of fear on the mat, not even close -- the training didn't carry over.

Last edited by tiberius : 12-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
kewms

Maybe not what you were thinking of, but that's sort of a specialty of Systema.

Katherine
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
DodgingRain

Did you try using the search function to really dig in the archives? A quick search turned up this thread.. http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ght=adrenaline

And maybe not what your thinking of, and kind of the yin to your yang...

many martial arts stress meditation like training for stilling, calming, clearing the mind to be better prepared for high adrenal situations. I dont know how many practitioners really take the mind practice seriously, but it seems pretty universal that real martial artists stress it.

maybe meditation is the practice, and your high stress training is the safe test track to test drive it.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
tiberius

Perfect. That is indeed the thread. Thank you!

I think I might sign up for this. Anyone here have any experiences with this RMCAT training in recent years?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

In FMA, we did full contact work in a circle with everyone yelling at us.

Learn to really attack, give permission to resist, make it a spectator event.

We would also do it in the dark and in the parking lot.

And the Emergency Room was just down the street.

Old days.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Try this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/08/us...tml?hpt=hp_bn2
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Michael Neal

better yet go to a rowdy biker bar and start hitting on everyone's girlfriends
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Rob Watson
United_States

Before fiddling with bikers try http://www.shinyokai.com/Essays_PCSConditioning.htm

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I do this type of training, but only for military guys and with the proper equipment and gear. It really takes a while to run properly and you have to get ramped up for it over a period of several days of repetitive work focused solely on doing this.

I would recommend looking into Tony Blauer's courses if you are interested. They are pretty good and tailored for various specialities.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States

Quote:
James Reyes wrote: View Post
Long time lurker here. I recall reading a thread years and years ago about people in the US who offered adrenaline-based training -- they put you in high stress situations, so you'd start getting tunnel vision, loss of fine motor control, etc, and teach you how to deal with it. Does anybody here have recommendations for anyone running this sort of training?

It doesn't necessarily have to be super martially-oriented. Looking back at my life, I've made some of my biggest mistakes/done some very dumb things when adrenaline kicked in and all my reasoning ability seemed to go out the window. None of those situations were outright fights - some were situations at work, others in personal relationships. I'd love to learn to handle myself better when it happens.

Thanks!
Hi James,

I think the recommendations here are very good. One of the venues that I use to replicate that stress/adrenaline feel is my Krav Maga training. I really like the stress training drills and scenarios they put you through. You really get an awareness of the debilitating effects that stress can have on performance. Before the stress drills, we get worked to death with combatives and drills to tire us out. We then move through different scenarios on how the fight could escalate from the verbal confrontation (woofing) to the actual fight. We try to replicate this in different scenarios, sometimes with multiple attackers, by being taken to the ground, with weapons, with loud music, people yelling, in close quarters, in the dark, outside in a parking lot, etc., to make the environment totally chaotic because that's how fights can evolve -- into chaos. Schools may vary on how they implement this type of training. I think it is an integral part of training. Overtime, you begin to get better at managing the stressful effects of a fight rather than having the effects of a fight manage you…if that makes sense.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
tiberius

Thanks everyone! I have plenty to think about now and options to look into. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
James Reyes wrote: View Post

Thanks!
Check out Peyton Quinn and Rocky Mountain Combat Applications Training He has really pioneered this type of training and has the highly trained instructors and the equipment (important) it takes to do it properly.

Also, check out his book:
Real Fighting: Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario-Based Training

The book is a must read for any serious martial artist I think...
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
tiberius

Thanks, Ledyard-sensei! That program does look like it might be what I'm looking for.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
BHassler
United_States

RMCAT is a good program. Peyton's got a lot of real world experience with violence and violent people. One of the things that differentiates adrenal stress training from something like a sport competition is the context. In a sport fight, you know the rules, you know the timing, and you know what's going to happen within certain parameters. At RMCAT they cheat, they lie, and they "woof," so even if you know what's coming you may not know exactly when or how.

This kind of training is less about technique and more about managing your own fear and responses in challenging situations modeled after real life violence. Whether or not that fits your needs depends on what your goals are. If you want to be more confident on the street or in the boardroom, then it's perfect. If you want to work on your combinations and hip throws under pressure, then you might be better served with intense randori or competition. You can, however, take the lessons you learn in an adrenal stress program back into the dojo-- just realize they're not the same thing.

In my experience, Krav Maga is not the same. There are some great Krav Maga instructors, but it seems like the big organizations in the US are more of a punching-themed fitness program than anything applicable to real world self defense (unless you really want to go to jail for assault). Also, with Krav you're generally hitting pads and not full-on blasting people in the head and groin.

Tony Blauer appears to be a mixed bag. I've met very competent professionals who like what he does and others who hate it. Like anything else, take the information into consideration, go get as much more as you can, and then make your own decisions.

I did the RMCAT program and I really loved it. I found it valuable enough that I'll go back again this year and, if circumstances allow, annually.

Bill Kipp helped Peyton start RMCAT and runs his own program called FAST Defense. While I wouldn't want to give up the immersive experience of RMCAT, FAST offers a wider variety of relatively easily accessible workshops, etc., so that may be a way to get a taste if there's something in your area.

Regards,
Brian