Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
What is 'Peace', anyways?

What is Peace?

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: What is 'Peace', anyways?

The sound of people taking a break from waxing philosophical and training intelligently
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Peace is an ideal as much as a potential reality.

Here is my take on how to achieve more of it.

The doing of justice, the love of mercy and the walk of humility.

Micah 6:8 Christian Bible
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Un-war

That is a very important question.
Unfortunately, peace is often defined in a negative way, as the absence of war.
But a negative tends only to bring its positive about.

Peace needs to be defined in a positive way, independent of its counterpart war.

In Sweden, long ago, a bunch of Swedish writers decided to make a book of texts about the value of peace - a theme where we were not to use the opposite war at all. We were to portray the value of peace without using the threat and horror of war.
We failed.

The artists who were asked to illustrate the book refused, telling us that it was impossible. "It would be like making a drawing in white only, using no black," they explained.

They were right and wrong.
Art should be able to show the glory of peace, the value of it in itself. Our failure was caused by our artistic shortcomings.

I wonder if we can do it with aikido...

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Chris Parkerson
United_States

In the movie "Circle of Iron" the hero Korb arrives at the island (the quest for the Holy Grail). He is offered the opportunity to remain there in peaceful bliss as the new headmaster. He noticed in the eyes of the presiding headmaster, that the guy just couldn't wait to resign the post.

Korb laughed and returned to the real world, enlightened and ready to walk a ways with others who could hear his "silent flute".
Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
dps

When I am neither passive ( Accepting or submitting without objection or resistance; http://www.thefreedictionary.com/passive)
or
aggressive (Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/passive)

David

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Peace is rest, acceptance, tranquility, and it begins at home, not in words or even actions but in being. "No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in this present little instant." Peace must be found/created/nurtured within oneself before it can be present in one's relations with others, in one's family, in one's community, or in the world.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

A quiet mind and soul.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Peace could well be knowing that we'll never pass this way again

In gassho

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

The quiet echo of bliss...

William Hazen
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Maybe we can consider that peace is the absence of chaos ?

"Aikido is nothing but an expression of the spirit of Love for all living things."

Morihei Ueshiba
www.aikido-kajukenbo.com
Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Trish Greene wrote: View Post
Maybe we can consider that peace is the absence of chaos ?
Please allow me to fine-tune your words and by all means correct me if I misunderstand.

A bird can sleep on a limb right next to a waterfall. Chaos is present but the bird knows it will not disturb him.

Is it the absence of the kind of chaos that can affect you that you are speaking of. Is the chaos still present around you but absent from entering into your sense of self?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Un-war

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
Art should be able to show the glory of peace, the value of it in itself. Our failure was caused by our artistic shortcomings.

I wonder if we can do it with aikido...
Wow, this just took me back to my days of studying design at uni. We had one lecturer of Hong Kong descent who loved to teach about “chi” in design. You take a blank white sheet and apply a mark and all of a sudden, energy kicks in and the eye is led into all kinds of complex relationships. A good designer places those marks in a way that lets the chi flow. Lines on a page can contrast and conflict with each other. The energies can flow together, bounce off each other, leading or losing the viewer depending upon how the marks are placed. Harmony is created in the way the yin and yang balance their interrelationships. I was also very interested in Japanese art while at university, particularly woodblock prints. Look at the works of Hiroshige, Hokusai or Kuniyoshi and you will see peace, even when the subject is war.

Could peace be ki that is managed harmoniously?

Last edited by Carl Thompson : 03-03-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Carl,

What a post. If everything has a vibration, then peace is vi rational consonance.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
jennifer paige smith

United_States
Re: Un-war

[quote=

Could peace be ki that is managed harmoniously?[/QUOTE]

This idea sounds like my take on natures management of life on earth .....which leads me to the idea that peace is a natural by-product of nature itself (nature not being an object but more like an operating system) and that nature and peace are one, or at least holding hands.

Thanks for such a nice well thought out post.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
The quiet echo of bliss...

William Hazen
And this is nature, too. Says me.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
And this is nature, too. Says me.
Namaste'

William Hazen
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Please allow me to fine-tune your words and by all means correct me if I misunderstand.

A bird can sleep on a limb right next to a waterfall. Chaos is present but the bird knows it will not disturb him.

Is it the absence of the kind of chaos that can affect you that you are speaking of. Is the chaos still present around you but absent from entering into your sense of self?
Thank you for rephrasing my words! It helped place a deeper understanding into my original statement!

"Aikido is nothing but an expression of the spirit of Love for all living things."

Morihei Ueshiba
www.aikido-kajukenbo.com
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #19
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Un-peace

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Could peace be ki that is managed harmoniously?
I think we solve the riddle when we know why we don't ask: What is war?

Sadly, mankind regards peace as un-war, instead of thinking of war as un-peace.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
Chris Parkerson
United_States

nature's way is a balancing act that is always seeking harmony. It moves in cycles where is becomes unbalanced and fixes itself. Right now, Sun cycle 24 promises major flux in terms of high levels of solar flares, coronal mass ejections, and solar magnetism blasting the earth. This will lead to major straight line wind storms, wild weather, volcanic activity and earthquakes, and even human disruption. As our bodies and brains are magnetic in composition, we can expect odd human behavior during the solar height... 2008-2012. My Msyan friends are expecting that the magnetism will open new realms of consciousness to include PSI and in specific, a natural ability to read eachother's minds.

Those who will remain peaceful within during the next 4 years will be those who are willing to become transparent and forgiving.

Be the peaceful bird near the waterfall. The coming waters will truly seem chaotic as those who hold onto false ego, empire building, and
self aggrandizement will war against eachother.

It is just a cycle and history has seen it before.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #21
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

grew up in a war and thought war was a normal thing sort of like waking up with a cup of coffee/tea. read about peace, heard discussion about peace, studied peace but could not imagine it. years later, came to the USA, then realized so this is what peace feel like. From that understanding, came to realize, through memory path, what war felt like. have something to compare and contrast. before there was no reference point.

do you know what peace is if you have not seen the true face of war and feel it, the affects of war, to the core of your being? have such philosophical questions, but no answers. not a philosopher, but an educated barbarian.

always wondered why American soldiers, grew up in peaceful land, went to wars, have so much difficult coming back into American society; whereas, folks who grew up in war don't seem to have problem reintegrate?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #22
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
grew up in a war and thought war was a normal thing sort of like waking up with a cup of coffee/tea. read about peace, heard discussion about peace, studied peace but could not imagine it. years later, came to the USA, then realized so this is what peace feel like. From that understanding, came to realize, through memory path, what war felt like. have something to compare and contrast. before there was no reference point.

do you know what peace is if you have not seen the true face of war and feel it, the affects of war, to the core of your being? have such philosophical questions, but no answers. not a philosopher, but an educated barbarian.

always wondered why American soldiers, grew up in peaceful land, went to wars, have so much difficult coming back into American society; whereas, folks who grew up in war don't seem to have problem reintegrate?
Hi ,
Please note that I can't figure out how to quote pieces of a post. Only the whole thing. I'm such a goon!!!!! So, I'm referencing your middle paragraph here and I's like to associate it with one of Chris' posts on the Internal Strength discussion forum. I'll tell ya which one in a second post.
O.K.

there is a need for some individuals to go through the physical acts of war in order to access the more 'subtle' physiological or atavistic elements of our own nature. We are built in the process of nature and part of that process can be labeled 'pain' ( as in, being in labor with a baby) or it can be accepted for itself and regarded as nature. The second way is less emotional, less sentimental, and it isn't didactic. It is the form of a circle with no breaks; different than the form of a square that has (at least) 2 different sides. The way I think of this is to look at a circle, oh look, here's one now..... .......and contemplate that which is on the outside and that which is on the inside. They are the same. The unbroken line is the circle.

Nature:wholeness; inter-reliant relationship; constant connection; acceptance; impersonalization and forgiveness(aka generosity).

Some folks don't need to go through the fire, they already have it. So natures process picks up it's construction job site by site.

I've used all my hot air resources on this post I'll be back by the next breeze.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #23
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Carl,

What a post. If everything has a vibration, then peace is vi rational consonance.
And if it is consonance, then it is part of a whole language.
.......Spoken from where?

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
Chris Parkerson
United_States

The great OMMMM??

Perhaps it is just the sound of that squeaky wheel on the tricycle that the Turtle rides when he is not supporting the planets.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Peace?

I am sitting in my backyard next to my South American grill (slow grill over REAL wood coals) with good friends/family. Slowly grilling a nice PEACE of dry-aged sirloin that was seasoned with truffle salts for six hours. It is a beautiful, sunny day in the low 80's. We are sipping a nice 2001 California Carbernet sauvignon out of hand-blown Reidel glasses, (the wine decanted for several hours of course!). We are discussing the merits of having another bottle of cab (that is also decanting) with the first course, or starting in on that 1982 Chateau Latour- decanted for at least five hours (and saving the other cab for the cheese desert).

Peace-> that settled feeling in your hara, right next to that wonderful meal that is digesting, while watching a nice sunset

Marc Abrams

Last edited by Marc Abrams : 03-04-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!