Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
10/26 - 10/28 - Daito Ryu Ginjukai Seminar - Bellevue, WA

Joe Brogna Sensei will conduct a seminar for Aikido folks and others interested in aiki principles and internal power training at Aikido Eastside in Bellevue, WA

There will be classes open to all experience levels. Brogna Sensei is an exceptional teacher ands we are looking forward to this event.

On-line Info and Registration

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States
Re: 10/26 - 10/28 - Daito Ryu Ginjukai Seminar - Bellevue, WA

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Joe Brogna Sensei will conduct a seminar for Aikido folks and others interested in aiki principles and internal power training at Aikido Eastside in Bellevue, WA

There will be classes open to all experience levels. Brogna Sensei is an exceptional teacher ands we are looking forward to this event.

Yes, he is

Don't miss it

Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

cool

Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Joe Brogna

Dojo: Popkin-Brogna Self Defense Center
United_States

I'm really excited to make it out your way again. The students at Aikido Eastside and their visiting students are always great to work with.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Joe Brogna

United_States

Great turnout for the seminar! I always have great time in Seattle. This group is making some serious progress, kudos to Arrow & Josh. I had to amp up the techniques to the next level

Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Joe Brogna

United_States

I had such a great weekend with the Seattle Ginjukai group that I'm staying another 2 days! That and jet Blue said sorry Jfk is closed till Tuesday! I might make a cameo appearance at Aikido East side tomorrow night. Stay tuned.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Originally, this seminar was scheduled with Popkin Sensei, who is one of the great teachers of "aiki" principles that I know of. We set up a Daito Ryu Study Group under his oversight and he is kind enough to journey out several times a year to work with us.

On a number of occasions, we were fortunate enough to have Popkin Sensei's co-dojo cho, Joe Brogna come along with him. Another fantastically knowledgeable instructor, these seminars with the two of them have been doubly wonderful since we all received twice the attention.

This time, however, Popkin Sensei is about to become a new Daddy and didn't wish to be away from home so Brogna Sensei was dispatched to help us (a good thing for Howard and Lisa as the hurricane hit right during the seminar).

This was the first time we got to experience a whole seminar with Brogna Sensei and I have to say we knocked out by what a fantastic job he did. The idea that their dojo back East has two instructors at that level just seems more than a bit unfair. Brogna Sensei organized the material in a linear progression that made making connections between the principles being taught very clear.

I am always a bit surprised that more folks from the Aikido community don't take advantage of these two fine teachers. While the style they teach is Daito Ryu, and specifically the Daito Ryu of Okamoto Sensei, any Aikido person enamored of the kind of effortless technique you would have seen with Yamaguchi Sensei or still can experience with a teacher like Endo Sensei or Saotome Sensei would do well to do some work with these two teachers.

Personally, I have little or no trouble applying the principles taught in this style of Daito Ryu to my own Aikido. The outer forms my be different but the inner principles are exactly the same. If you get a chance to attend a seminar taught by either Popkin Sensei or Brogna Sensei do not miss it...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
APride
United_States

To add to Ledyard Sensei's comments about the seminar:

This was indeed a fun and instructive seminar, just as expected. We had a good turnout, with our Study Group members joined by several aikido practitioners from other dojos in the area.

Along with Josh Drachman, I have the privilege of leading the Seattle study group at Aikido Eastside under Popkin and Brogna Senseis. Their visits here several times each year are a cornerstone of the practice, providing us with encouraging (and sometimes humbling . . .) feedback on our progress, and deepening and broadening the study. The principle-based, hands-on instruction is very effective both for experienced and for brand new seminar participants.

A consistent feature of the daito-ryu technique so capably demonstrated by both Brogna and Popkin Senseis is achieving kuzushi on contact, and maintaining the kuzushi throught the interaction, all while having the practitioner stay centered and relaxed. This is one of the central qualities that I've been pursuing in my training (in both aikido and daito-ryu); Brogna Sensei demonstrated again and again how to achieve it, then offerred detailed verbal and tactile feedback to each participant on their practice toward this goal.

About half of the practice time in the seminar was spent not in pairs, but rather in "lines". This may be an unfamiliar training format outside daito-ryu, so I'll describe it. Everyone lines up in rough order of seniority, and the most senior person gets attacked sequentially by everyone in the line, executing the same technique on each attacker in turn. He or she then goes to the end of the line, and the next person steps forth to be attacked by everyone in the line. (Sometimes everyone in the seminar makes up one long line; other times the participants divide into several shorter lines.)

There are several intriguing features of this practice format. First, the person executing the technique gets many repetitions in rapid succession (not having to wait for one attacker to get up before facing the next attacker). Second, he/she has to adjust each interaction on the fly to the particular attacker of the moment -- speed, power, intention, body type, etc. Third, every person in the line gets to attack, and to take ukemi for, every other person. Fourth, everyone in the line gets to watch multiple executions of the technique, learning to develop a critical eye; since the first people to execute the technique are the most senior ones, they hopefully set a solid example for everyone else in the line.

This makes an interesting and useful complement to the paired practice that is used the rest of the time during the seminar or the study group sessions.

The seminar ended Sunday evening, but superstorm Sandy caused cancellation of all flights to NY, resulting in Brogna Sensei getting stuck in Seattle for several days. We were eager to take advantge of the opportunity, and Brogna Sensei was happy to oblige, and taught further classes on Monday and Wednesday evenings. He continued to remind us of the key principles behind his technique, to demonstrate how these are expressed in each and every technique, and to patiently guide all of us towards improving our execution of the waza. All in all, an educational and enjoyable experience.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Josh Drachman
United_States

Sorry this is so late in coming but I wanted to thank Joe Brogna Sensei again for teaching just a wonderful seminar at Aikido Eastside a few weeks ago. Brogna Sensei gave us a ton of clear and in depth instruction on what is inside a number of basic techniques such as katate aiki sukuinage, kashiwade kotegaeshi, aiki zeme, yokomen shihonage, aiki age/aiki sage, furi aiki, the lucky seven, among many other waza. His instruction was clear, comprehensive, and fun. He taught us the value of working and staying focused in lines, where the goal is to learn as much as possible from everyone's efforts -- successful or not -- and the tips and guidance from Sensei. Keeping our talking and side practice to a minimum really enhanced our learning by enabling us to take in the lessons with our bodies, not just our heads. As Sensei emphasized, this is a visual and tactile art. Words, while helpful, are often overused. Brogna Sensei did a wonderful job of exemplifying the value of actions over words in our training.

Unfortunately for Brogna Sensei, but lucky for us, Hurricane Sandy waylaid him in Seattle an extra four days during which time he was kind enough to give us some great additional classes. Thank you Sensei! I look forward to seeing you again March 1st-3rd in Oklahoma City.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Pat Togher
United_States

Senseis Ledyard, Pride, and Drachman have covered the specifics of the seminar very well, and addressed the availability of the materials to more advanced practitioners. I can't add to that, but I wanted to add a bit from a beginner's perspective.

One aspect of Brogna Sensei's teaching that hasn't been discussed in detail is the attention he devoted to each of the students. Whether we were working in lines or pairs, Brogna Sensei was always available to the seminar participants. If you had a question, you just had to catch his eye and he was there. He worked his way around the entire room, so that he could observe each participant, giving encouragement and correction as needed. If there was a common element that students were having trouble with, Brogna Sensei would stop the practice to clarify or expand on that element of the technique. Brogna Sensei clearly wants all the students to get it, and puts in the effort to make that happen. As a result, I left the seminar with the good feeling that results from intense practice, but also with a confidence that I understood what had been presented, both the how and why of the techniques. That's a great feeling.

I have to echo Ledyard Sensei's comment that the NY dojo is very fortunate to have both Popkin Sensei and Brogna Sensei. I intend to practice with both of them as often as I can!

Pat Togher