Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of September 8, 2002:

Do you think your current aikido teacher is in good physical condition?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:26 AM   #2
Ta Kung
My teacher is old and rather small. But I remember the first time he did morote dori kokyo on me. Eventhough I held on as hard as I could, I threw me like a bag of potatoes. I was pretty impressed... and I still am.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:28 AM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
The current head of our dojo is young, and in excellent condition. Our Sensei, who is in his mid-50's, has had lots of health problems, and is not in very good physical condition, but his aikido is certainly strong. I am sure that in his hey-day (I have known him only for 10 years), he was in great shape.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:47 AM   #4
Edward
Thailand
Considering my teacher's age (60), he's in perfect physical condition. I wish I had half of his strength and power. Not only that, but he does ukemi as silent and gracious as a cat, and he can outdrink every body at the table
Old 09-09-2002, 06:14 AM   #5
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Do you think your current aikido teacher is in good physical condition?

I have two Yudansha at my dojo that I consider my aikido teachers. One's a 55 yr. Old defensive tactic instructor for the police and the other is a 29 year old ex-army Ranger. Both are in phenomenal shape.

The 55 year old puts all the young bucks in the dojo to shame.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:03 AM   #6
peteswann
Dojo: Shinwakai UK
The Head of our dojo has suffered bad health problems for some time now (including an aneurism - he was back on the mat in about 6 weeks IIRC) but doesn't seem overly concerned by them himself!! He still teaches 2-3 times a week and is so subtle in his technique it is hard to figure how he does it!!! (from the perspective of a 2.5yr experience!!)

My actual teachers, ie sempai who regularly teach classes, are all pretty fit and flexible!! Myself though, change the i to an a and you get me!! ;o)

Pete
Old 09-11-2002, 07:09 AM   #7
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

My sensei is around his early 40's he is about 5'7" and has a beer belly ish, salt and pepper hair, however i have never seen someone ukemi so silently its asif he doesnt even touch the floor, to look at him in every day you would assume he is the regular working guy in his early 40's but get him on the mat and he'll throw you 20 ft before you've even begun to think about why his hand isnt where it was a second ago.

Much respect to my sensei.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!