Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
cbiazak
Dojo: Sandia Budokan
United_States
Question Drawstring suggestions?

I have a quick question...

Does anybody have a good suggestion as to what exactly to use to replace the drawstring on gi pants? My drawstrings broke on several pair that are still in good condition otherwise. I bought some nylon camping cord and that worked until I washed the pants. The main fibers started to "pull through" the outer braid.

Travel In Harmony...
Old 01-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
My pant's drawstring seems to be just a length of the same material that the pants are made from; folded and sewn in a hem. I'd suggest experimenting with a variety of materials until you get the result you want.

You could also have elastic sewn into them but I don't know how that works out.

Good luck.

I hate when my pants try to fall down during class. I just felt like throwing that out there.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Ted Marr
Likewise, I think the drawstrings on mine are made from the same material as the pants. From my search to find that same material in order to make more exceptionally comfortable clothing that I can recklessly abuse without consequences, I have found that I think most gi pants are made of heavy duty 100% cotton twill. A strip about half an inch wide, folded in half and sewn on the open edge (then turned inside out if you can, and are that incredibly anal retentive) should make a passable replacement.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
On the nylon cord thing (if you should try that again) you need to melt the ends with a lighter so that they don't become frayed.

Tie a knot at the very end and then melt the cut part with a lighter. The end will harden into a plastic ball and won't come undone... unless you cut/tear it on some other part of the rope.

BUT... like the others said, just get someone to sew up some cotton twill or canvas until you have about the right length. You could use a coat hanger that's been straightened out to pull it inside out.

Best of luck!

Old 01-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
if the inner beltstring breaks, take some new cord or old shoelace and tape it to a elongated hangar and slide it through. then, unattach the tape from hangar, burr the ends with a lighter like stated above and you have an new drawstring. try it.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Get some hockey skate laces. They ought to be long enough. They're also wide, so they shouldn't dig into your waist.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 01-31-2004, 04:55 AM   #7
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
I pulled out the drawstring and replaced it by pulling elastic through the channel just like I'd do for normal pants (I didn't do the fancy drawstring overlap thing) and tied it at the side. It works great. It's not traditional, but I had one pair with an elastic waist and I find them more comfortable and convenient than the drawstring ones.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:37 AM   #8
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
CJ,

I'd have pm'd you with this but you don't seem to be set up for pm's or email:

The drawstring I removed is from my brand new Kwon size 3 pants -- if you pm me your physical address, I'll gladly send it to you.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Mark V. Smith

Dojo: Seikeikan
My wife bought cotton chord at the sewing store. It comes on the spool for drawstrings. I keep the two ends tied permanently together in a loop so it never pulls out in the wash or gets too lopsided. Tying my knot then becomes a matter of folding the loop into a bow and tying off. I have never had my strings loosen or come untied in more than three years I have been keeping them this way.

Mark V. Smith
Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
Chief mat inspector

Aikido Rocks! (Ukemi Rolls)
Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #10
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Mark Smith (Mark V. Smith) wrote:
Chief mat inspector
ROFLMAO
Old 02-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

Re: elastic to replace drawstrings: this has been for yrs one of the standard things I do to customize my gi...BUT it is only recommended for women, and for women who have bigger hips than waists. The unstretched waistband elastic has to be shorter around than the hip measurement so it stretches to go on and off but stays snugly up....you can imagine the problem with men....and I've had problems with worn out elastic when doing suwariwaza. Hakama cover a multitude of sins (smile)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 AM   #12
jgrowney
Dojo: Rochester New York Aikido Club
Kevin,

"I hate when my pants try to fall down during class. I just felt like throwing that out there."

One of my students has the same problem. Here is the solution I gave him. Once you've tied your pants, roll the top portion of the pants over the chord and then tuck it under the chord. He has not had this problem since.

Jim

Jim Growney
Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #13
cbiazak
Dojo: Sandia Budokan
United_States
Thumbs down Thank you

Thanks, everyone, for helping me with suggestions. Especially Wendy (I was unable to log back in to AikiWeb until recently, and could not respond earlier).
Old 02-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #14
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.

I'm a habitual gi-straightener. And when I pull on the front of my gi I inadvertently grab the strings on my pants.

A few weeks ago I was uke for the instructor and everytime he kept throwing my my pants kept feeling like I was going to lose them. Lately I've been double-knotting them to prevent revealing too much to my training partners.